“Wonderful stay at Hotel Panorama”

Hotel Panorama by Rhombus
Ranked #84 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne
“Wonderful stay at Hotel Panorama”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Stayed at Hotel Panorama for 3 nights in July 2009. From the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty. We booked 2 Superior Platinum Rooms with interconnecting doors - which we got, as we travelled with young children. Although the rooms were small I believe this is the norm in Hong Kong! We had a Private Check-In which was quick and hassle-free. Our view of the harbour was great both by day and by night.

We had Club Lounge Access which was a nice way to unwind after a long, hot day. There were drinks (soft drinks, wine, spirits etc) on offer, aswell as light snacks. WiFi was also available there which was great.

The breakfast buffet was fabulous; lots available to please even the fussiest eater. The staff were very attentive - clearing plates and glasses as soon as you were finished. At times, however, it felt like they were too attentive!

The Doormen always greeted us with a smile and opened the doors for us as soon as they would see us approaching. Hotel Panorama is conveniently located. Not in the busy Nathan Road strip but close enough to walk there. Could not really fault Hotel Panorama. We had a memorable stay there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights in July. Request to upgrade to Platinum room and paid Singapore dollars about $70 more extra per night. Seems a bit expensive for the upgrade since the rooms are of the same sizes except that we were on the 32nd floor with 2 direct lifts serving only from floors 32 upwards, and a great view of the Hong Kong harbour skyline with no blockage.
Rooms and bathroom clean and well kept (4star), with LCD TV and adequate channels (the usual, sports, CNN, Discovery, BBC, NHK etc etc). A short walk to the nearest MRT, about 5 to 10 minutes but lots of choices for food around the area.
Based on review earlier, took the one way airport transfer to some K3 bus line (cant remember the number) at Kowloon and realised that the bus does not stop in front of the hotel but at nearby Holiday Inn. As Hong Kong streets are congested and narrow, took a while for me to find my bearings to the hotel, even though I had a map on hand and had studied the location prior to arrival. So not appropriate for airport MTR transfer if you drag a huge luggage along the busy streets as the MTR airport buses does not stop in front of hotel as earlier mentioned by another traveller.
Overall I will consider staying here again due to its cleaniness and good location.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shortyass
New Zealand
Reviewed 5 August 2009

My partner and I just got back from staying 8 nights. From the moment we arrived, we were treated very well. As I had booked a deluxe harbour view room with access to the Club lounge, we were taken to the express elevator and signed in on the 39th floor. Our plane had arrived in at 6.45am and while we weren’t expecting a room that early, we were hoping and our room was ready for us.

Club Access.

If you can afford the Club Lounge Access, I would certainly recommend it. We would go up each night if we were around and have a wine and a beer and take some water bottles back to the room with us, ready to take out the next day. Temperatures while we were there were in the low to mid 30’s, so the water certainly came in handy. Yes you do get 2 complimentary bottles in your room anyway, but we were going through about 8 a day. The hot snacks were also very nice, not always to our liking, but there were more days we liked the snacks than not. Breakfast in the lounge while not substantial was more to our liking. As we aren’t big breakfast eaters, yogurt, fruit, and a bread roll was enough for us. We did go to the restaurant a couple of times, and yes to those that complain that it is the same food every day, we usually eat the same food every day at home so we didn’t find it a problem, there was still quite a variety of different foods. Having 2 designated lifts just for Club people to use was great. The lounge also had free WIfi so my partner had his Ipod and was able to check emails.

Staff

No complaints, just about every one of them made us feel welcome. They couldn’t do enough for us and nothing seemed to be a problem. It was nice to see Assistant and Duty Managers out working with the staff and not just giving orders. The only ones we weren’t so taken with were the staff at the restaurant on level 38. The staff at the lobby restaurant, were much friendlier in my opinion. We had 8 days in HK, then 2 days in Macau and then back to HK to fly home. The hotel were more than happy to hold one of our suitcases, as taking two would have just been a hassle.

Location

Our first few times on the MTR had us coming out at an A exit then walking not that far, but in the heat it did sap our energy. Then we discovered Exit G. Walk as if you are going to TST East, and take the N exit. There is a lift which is handy and out of the lift you are on Hanoi Road. Walk approximately 10 metres towards the busy street and turn left, and there is the hotel not 20 metres on your right. Perfect location really to walk down to see the laser light show on the Promenade. We did this one night and they had a Chinese band playing a lot of old hits before and after the light show. We saw the light show from the 40th Floor, but if you can, walk to the promenade as it all makes sense when you hear the music playing. The only thing with the Avenue is most taxi drivers will take you to the other side which isn’t really a big deal, I just think they don’t realise that the avenue splits in two, and the way they come down, they can’t turn right as it is a one way avenue. You’ll see what I mean, just get them to drop you at the end and it’s only a matter of a few metres to the hotel. If people are tired walking, then I really suggest they get a taxi. First 2 kilometres is $18 day which equates to $4 NZ dollars $3 US and just over a pound UK. Why people think they have to take the MTR is beyond me. Every taxi driver we had took us straight to the hotel, no touring, I would say the majority are pretty honest. Just get the card from the hotel with their address in Chinese and you shouldn’t have a problem. We got the taxi back to the airport from the Panorama and it worked out to be approximately $6 NZ dearer than taking the train. It would have cost $30 HK just to get to Kowloon Station, and it was then $180 HK for the two of us on the train. So just something to think about if you have a few bags and don’t mind paying the extra $6.00 NZ.

Laundry across the road at Happy Dry Cleaners I think. HK $32 for 7 lbs minimum. If you want just a basic wash, then this is the handiest place. To get rid of stains, you will need to point them out to the owners as a normal wash just didn’t get rid of them. Still for just over $6 New Zealand we weren’t complaining.

Room

Yes small, even for our one, but as someone else has said you trade the view off with the size. We were quite happy with the size as the view more than made up for it, watching the ships in the harbour, the neon lights on the buildings was just fantastic. Also we spent most of the day walking, seeing sights, shopping, so we weren’t in our room all that much. For those that complain, I do wonder what they are expecting. I have stayed in some shoebox size rooms in New York, London, Venice, Paris, so I think it is a little unfair to Hotel Panorama as they are not unique in providing small rooms, there are also plenty of other hotels in Hong Kong that will offer you a small room as well. One thing we did have was a noisy air conditioner, that even when turned to low still seemed to hum just as loudly on low as on high. It may just have been our room, however we never said anything as we were so tired by the time we got back to our room, it never kept us awake, but if you are a light sleeper it may be a problem, but then again, I’m sure the hotel staff would be happy to fix it.

Conclusion

We can’t wait to go back. Would definitely stay here again & recommend to others to stay here, but would tell them to go for the room with club access.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CyberGreen
Singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I've booked a Gold Deluxe Room, the view was not really fantastic. I was expecting a better view, but was given a partial See view and partial Roof top view of old buildings (20Flr) which was not very appealing. Location was not very convenience even though there was a SUBWAY station nearby, we still have to walk about 10mins to the TsimShatsui station to catch a train. Even in the morning, where we were still very fresh & energetic, we felt tired after the long walk, its draining us up. To make things worst, we have to carry our big & heavy shoppings bags & dragged our tiresome bodies back to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SingaporeShopper
Bristol, England
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I stayed at the Panorama by Rhombus for three nights en route to Sydney and I was very impressed.

The hotel is located in Kowloon, very close to the MTR and the Star Ferry and also convenient for the free shuttle bus which runs to the station where trains depart for the airport. The area is lively and full of life, surrounded by local restaurants, bars and shops, although it doesn't have the clean, sleek atmosphere of Hong Kong Island.

When we arrived we were given an upgrade to a superior room, located on the upper floors of the hotel. The room was was comfortable with a great bathroom and modern decor, but the best thing was the stunning view - we had to floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over Hong Kong harbour and it quite literally took my breath away.

The public areas of the hotel were also clean and elegant, with a small restaurant/cafe on the ground floor, as well as a lounge. There is also a very stylish bar and a roof garden located at the top of the hotel, again with stunning views.

Breakfast wasn't included in our room rate but we ordered room service breakfast one morning and it was delicious, with a huge range of food and lovely presentation. The hotel staff were also very friendly and happy to help with advice on what to see and do.

I very much enjoyed my brief stay in Hong Kong and I'm keen to go back for a longer visit. When I do I will almost certainly stay at this hotel again, and will pay for a superior room as the views are definitely worth it!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Shanghai
Reviewed 29 July 2009

After reading reviews on this hotel, I expected much better. Like everyone else, I agree that the rooms are small. The view was nice but it was obstructed. The service was just so-so. The breakfast was sparse. For the the amount paid for the room, I expected it to wow me. The hotel is not bad. I would recommend others stay here, but I will keep searching for a better alternative.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank expdabest
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Loved this hotel, started off on the right note as we got upgraded to a platinum room when we arrived that had a harbour view. Room was just the right size, not to big or small. Large bed, one of the most comfortable I've slept in. Location is fantastic, MTR around the corner, walking distance to Nathan Road, bars around the corner and great little places to eat a short walk away. Bathroom was small but clean and restocked with goodies every day, free newspaper delivered to the door every morning, effiecient room service - I really can't fault it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple