“Beautiful Rooms, Perfect Location but Some Issues”

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #5 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Just finished two night stay at the Landmark with connected LS600 Deluxe and Premier rooms. The rooms are breath taking in design if you like the contemporary style. Among the nicest rooms that I can recall staying in. The location was fantastic. The metro station is literally attached to the hotel and the accompanying Landmark shopping complex includes a nice food court, fancy restaurants and a selection of upscale shopping. Using walkways and underground access, one can get to most central district locations without ever going outside.

My main issues resolve around incessant street noise. As the hotel is surrounded by much taller buildings and faces a busy street, there is no way to avoid honking, traffic noises and even the sound of building ventilation systems. It did not bother me but my wife couldn't sleep well and that affects everything. In spite of having reservations for months, our rooms were not available until late in the day. The breakfast, while nice, was also pricey at $26 USD for a fairly limited buffet.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank 5fortravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 25 July 2010

There is just one way to judge this hotel and that's it! Perfect.... Stayed here for 2 weeks and there was absolutely nothing to complain.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank 967jens
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We stayed here for a total of 6 nights. The hotel is located at a wonderful location. You have direct access to Landmark and the connected surrounding buildings and the MTR is located at the basement level. The room was nice and not much complaints about the room. They left you two piece of chocolate at turn down service. But it wasn't consistent. Someday they would give you, someday they wouldn't? The manager ( we assumed) left a message in our voicemail, ( we guessed?) that he's trying to see how was the our stay at mandarin oriental. But somehow, he left the message in Chinese? He pronouced our name wrong and left a message in Chinese @.@. The staff consistently pronouced our name wrong throughout our stay at MO. I tried to book a spa service since I heard a lot of good stuff about it from friends who live in HK. I initially booked it for 2 person and I requested the latest appointment available so I wouldn't have to rush back. The lady who scheduled my appointment later called me back and informed me that it's not possible due to lack of staff. And she said I can only have one appt at 730 and the other at 815. So either way, one of us would have to wait for another person for 45 mins. I had to rush back at 730 to go to my spa appointment and it totally ruined all my plans and schedule. As I was waiting for my sister to finish her spa apointment, I was hanging out by the sauna/steam area. There was this cleaning lady who looked very pissed off the fact that we were still there. ( I believe we were the only two clients left) I went to the restroom and used the towels to dry my hands. She immediately rush over and replaced it with an attitude. As my sister and I were getting ready and change, the cleaning lady just hung around the area to make sure that we don't mess up the stuff that she just cleaned. I felt that we were pressure into leaving the place earlier. The quality of massage was good but the service (the receptionist who made the appointment and the cleaning lady was HORRIBLE!) I don't see why I have to work around the spa schedule when I'm on vacation. And she confirmed my initial request. Very disappointing and this has greatly affect my experience with the spa.

and by the way, since it's in landmark. It's VERY VERY noisy. You constantly have people protesting and taxi drivers honking around 1am or 2!!!

My suggestion is go stay at the old mandarin oriental

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed here 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. The staff were unfailingly gracious, responsive, and helpful. We were upgraded to a suite on the 6th floor, and the room had a beautiful modern aesthetic. It was a soothing place to come back to after the hubbub of walking around Hong Kong - indeed it was tempting to spend time here that might have been spent sightseeing. A tough choice! The only downsides to the room were the lack of any view (lots of windows, but they overlooked a mall & office buildings) and the impracticality of some of the modern finishes (slip-slidding on the polished black granite in the bathroom shower, wierd unergonomic knobs/handles on the bathroom and closet doors, and way too many buttons for controlling blinds and lights). Anyway, it still was a stellar experience. We ate a few meals downstairs in MO (mostly breakfast), and the food was very good. We had one room service meal that was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank relaxandread
Reviewed 12 June 2010

We stayed for 5 nights in an L600 room at the Landmark Mandarin Oriental. It was spacious and well designed in every possible way. The bathtub is nothing short of amazing. The level of service is excellent. I cannot imagine a better hotel for business travel in Hong Kong. The staff was extraordianarily responsive to all requests.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stayed at the Landmark Mandarin in May 2010 for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. It was a totally exceptional experience. I was stayed with my wife and our kid. We booked the L600 room which is large and comfortable. The bathroom is fabulous.

Since I have mentioned we had a kid with us during reservation, children amenities were already there when we entered our room. All the service staffs are excellent. We had a lot of requests during our stay, like ice, hot water and kettle, etc. All amenities were promptly delivered to our room. Moreover, all the staffs remain kind and patient about all our requests and seem to be ready to serve us at anytime. I believe this is what a five-star hotel service standard is.

Furthermore, they also provided some special amenities and gift for us to celebrate our anniversary. We just feel so warm about this personalized service.

We all have a great time here. I strongly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank chunganson
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My family used the Landmark as our first stop in Asia. We have two children aged 1 & 4, and we spent three nights in an L600 room. We started with the transport from HK airport, which I would say is pricey (I believe HKD1800) but worth it after a long, long flight. (They should make a roundtrip discount, like both ways for HKD2800 or something)

The check-in experience was a great example of how perfect top-tier hotel service can be. We were personally taken up to the room, the bags followed moments later, and there followed a parade of helpers to take care of our requests: daughter's sofa bed arrangement, welcome amenities, a tea setup with water kettle, the baby's crib, ice, and probably other things I have forgotten. We were walking out to find dinner in less than an hour with everything completely settled for the stay. Try doing that at a major chain hotel sometime! Of course, the room is also amazing and really does have the world's finest bathrooms.

We had two visits to the downstairs breakfast buffet, since kids eat free, and it was wonderful. We also hit the pool twice; it fit our family quite well, although it might be boring for families with older children. We also took advantage of complimentary stroller rental [a top-of-the-line stroller, too] and the liberally distributed umbrellas out front were a nice touch. So was the direction assistance of the friendly doormen.

There are just a few tiny areas that could be improved. First, the hallway was kept air conditioned at no more than 65-66 degrees. It also had a musty smell that thankfully doesn't extend into the rooms. Also, the system of controls and switches in the room is unnecessarily difficult to use and doesn't add very much value. But these are minor nitpicks.

We will definitely be back at the Landmark whenever we next stay in Hong Kong. Hopefully soon. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family