“A sleepless night” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 158 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
USA
“A sleepless night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

My co-worker booked us both a room here for two nights after hearing from another colleague that Rent-A-Room was cheap. We ended up paying $75 (USD) per night. Well it has been terrible weather here with rain and flooding like I have never witnessed, even the locals say this is unusually wild weather! We get to the hostel at about 11pm and there is no sign or name of where we are. It was very confusing. After standing in the rain for almost 45 minutes while my co-worker tried to pay (their machine was down/paper out/etc)...we then had to walk up about 2 flights of stairs outside carrying 50+lbs luggage in the rain. With our soaking wet luggage (and clothing) we get to the 6th floor and first go through a metal bar door, another main door and then our room doors. Upon entering the room, here are some complaints that we both ended up having:
1) To use the shower (which is just a water hose hanging from the TINY bathroom wall), you need to first pre-heat the water heater for 20 minutes. While I didn't use the shower because it looked dirty, my co-worker told me it felt like her flesh was going to be burned off it was so hot.
2) The bed not only was EXTREMELY noisy from the poor metal frame but it was also very small and I found other people's hair between the sheets.
3) The air conditioner did not do much at all and was so loud as it went on and off that it woke me up every 30 minutes from the banging.
4) The hallway light is on all night and the doors to the rooms have very large gaps at the top and bottom so light was leaking into the room the entire night.
5) There was no internet at all, when we asked they said there was wireless but when we tried to connect, we needed a password. She explained that there is no password...which means she didn't know what was going on. We ended up having to pay $0.50 a MINUTE to use her computer and wire internet. Considering that her internet was pretty slow...she made a pretty penny on that deal. So even if the room MAY have been only $70, she got a lot more from the internet alone.
6) In the morning I noticed a foul odor in my room as I was brushing my teeth, to confirm this odor I asked my co-worker to check it out. Sure enough, it smelled as if there was a MAJOR sewage problem starting up in my room. The whole room began to smell of feces.
7) The staff was only a woman and her younger daughter. When we went into their office to try and ask for help (ie: getting a taxi over, finding internet, etc...) she was either very unhelpful or just had no answers. There were also two very cute puppies but they were jumping all over us and barking like crazy while we were trying to get onto the internet. It was just a mad-house.
8) My co-worker and I both heard noises outside our doors the entire night. It was very strange since there were no other renters on our floor. My co-worker heard knocking on her door and I just hear people shuffling outside the whole time with a cracking noise.

So long story short - we did the same thing that the reviewer below me did. We found the Eaton Hotel for about $20 more and booked a night there instead of staying another night at the Rent-A-Room. I am currently writing my review from the Eaton Hotel which is about a block away from Rent-A-Room and it is AMAZING for the price. The service is top-notch!!

Forget Rent-A-Room - go with Eaton Hotel!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
9 Thank feather145

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
China, Shenzen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2008

After making reservation quite some time in advance we got the tiniest room with shower (which you have to preheat 15 min in advance to get 2 min of warm water) and toilet two in one (so after you took a shower the whole bathroom (with no warm water for handwashing) was soaking), a tiny bed which fit for kids and barely room to put a suitcase. The AC was so loud you cannot even talk to each other. And it wasn`t even cheap: 66,- Eur per night off-season. After one sleepless night we decided to change to a different place. What a surprise we didn`t even get our money back for the last two nights we didn`t stay there. Very unprofessional. Just around the corner we found a wonderful hotel which didn`t charge much more.
Don`t go there! Real rip-off!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank joni3486

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Cumbria UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

Very clean comfortable accommodation at a very reasonable price. Very convenient location close to Jordon MTR (2 minutes walk) on Nathan Road. Close to the buses to Star Ferry too. Close to Kowloon Park. Plenty of good cheap restaurants and fast food such as McDonalds close by. The staff are very helpful, My month's stay was wonderful and I can't wait to go again. I recommend Thomas Tang's rent a room to anyone looking for safe, comfortable self contained accomodation at a reasonable price in Hong Kong.
Jane Hadley

• Liked — Low cost and very convenient
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
South East Asia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2007

I stayed in the dormitory here. It's reasonably clean, although it could do with a new lick of paint and the air-con does not work very well. The room was very cramped though. The location is okay but not right in the centre. In general it's okay but pretty overpriced.

What spoiled this place for me was the rudeness and unpleasantness its staff. They seemed to think that they were doing me a favour by letting me stay here and although I didn't ask them for much they made me feel that every request - storing my passport, asking, on a single occasion, for some information, even paying my rent - was a huge chore.

For this reason I can't recommend this place to anyone else as they really made me feel unwelcome here and made this aspect of my holiday pretty unpleasant.

• Stayed July 2007
6 Thank AsiaTraveller1
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2007

I tried to post this comment two weeks ago, but notice today that it hasn't been posted..let's try again!

I would like to discourage people who want to spend only a few nights in Hong Kong to stay at Rent-A-Room. The Lonely Planet China presents a fantastic review of this place, but I don't understand why. Unless you plan to stay for longer, say a month, this 'hotel' is really far too expensive! They dared to charge us 700 HK dollar per night (about 70 euro), telling us that the month of April is high season. Truly 70 euro for a room in a grey apartment-block is really too much. Our bed was too small for our long legs, the shower and toilet were tiny, it might have been clean, but really not very nice (especially not for this price).
Next day we went looking for another hotel. We ended up at the newly renovated Eaton Hotel (Nathan Road) which charged 720 HK dollars. For only a bit more, we were able to stay in a good hotel with good service, swimming pool, big bed etc!
When we left Rent-a-Room we met a student who told us he pays 3000 HK (about 300 euro) a month for the same room!
So, don't stay at this place, just go to a regular good hotel. Don't always believe the Lonely Planet!!
If you wish to stay longer - say a month or so - than this might be interesting. Though the room is still grey looking and in a dull apartment block with a small bed...
Take care and enjoy Hong Kong and China! It's fantastic!
Joyce
(from Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JoycefromAmsterdam
NonGrumbler, Manager at Rent-A-Room Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 May 2007
HK$3000 is the monthly rate for a single bed in the dormitory room to be shared by 4 lodgers. The long-staying monthly rate is in general about 30-40% cheaper the daily rate especially to the students and seniors as they are non-salaried persons.
The complaint from Joyce saying they paid HK$700 a night for the "SAME ROOM" as the student's dorm room is IRRESPONSIBLE and MISLEADING.
Complaint must be factual, objective and un-provocative.
Joyce must have checked the rates of several hotels before she made her decision.
Room rates vary largely on the room availability of individual hotel for a specific period.
In April, there were 9 mega exhibitions held here in Hong Kong, the room rates were quite high in majority of the hotels.
If Joyce thought the room rate was too high, she could bargain with us, no harm.
Finally we are pleased to offer Joyce a FREE stay for one night in our best room whenever Joyce comes here again.

Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2007

This place was great. Very cheap and the room was spotless. Included a safe in the room and a TV and telephone. I had my own bathroom that was also spotless. The property was very secure with a guard on duty 24 hours a day. The location was excellent as well, very close to a bus stop and metro stop and a short walk to shopping and tourist attractions.

• Liked — price and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank tiffyjmo
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2006

First, my review. I paid 20 & 26 pounds (40 / 52 US Dollars) to stay in a tiny single, en-suite room. This isn't a bad price for a room in Hong Kong, but yes, the room was small, and it felt like it was in a council block of flats. Great location, you're right next to the main shopping street, but the place looks very grotty from the outside.

The useful bit: Finding this place is difficult. Here's my tips on how to find it.

1. Come out of the Jordan station at Exit D. This is very important - exit D !! (In December 2006, there was a giant NOKIA neon sign hanging above the street at this exit.. I used this for bearings whenever I got lost.)

2. When you get to the street level, turn right, then almost straightaway, turn into the first street on your right.

3. This street curves at 90-degrees to the left, follow the street to the left.

4. You are now on the correct street. Rent-a-room is on the right-hand side of the street, about halfway down it.

Phew ! Hope this helps.

• Liked — Fairly good location, cheap for Hong Kong, towels, fridge, safe, a/c included
  • Disliked — Feels like a council block-of-flats
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo