“Great location for the price...” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hong Kong Budget Hostel
Ranked #114 of 158 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
California
“Great location for the price...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

If you need a basic room in a great location, this is your best bet. The accomodations are in no way fancy...SUPER basic. But the owners are kind and it was the perfect choice for our layover night in Hong Kong. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank offandaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

We have stayed at the HKBH 3 times in the past 4 visits to hong Kong, the longest we've stayed is 3 weeks. Sure it's budget and there is not much room, but we've managed to get 2 adults and 2 kids, along with 4 very large suitcases, 4 large backpacks and numerous other articles in a room not much bigger than 8 x 9 ft. Jackie has been most accommodating and it is SO close to everything that we want to do and see. Would recommend for anyone wanting flash accommodation, but if you are on a budget then this is the place to go.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank jenncame
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

it's great for a cheap stay in a good location in the middle of all the action of Hong Kong, private rooms are like how the locals live.. which is a cool experience..... the downsides: there isn't wifi in every room like described on hostelbookers, Jackie (the owner) is very quiet and a bit unapproachable, and his wife is one of the rudest people I have met.. she stares you down like your stealing when you open the fridge door for example.. and never says hi or thank you. the locals that live in the building are very noisy early in the morning so don't expect great sleeps....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mitcellsous
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I literally came here to sleep between flights and for that purpose it was perfect. Room was barely larger than the bed, but had a TV (which I didn't use) and a bedside table. Clean sheets and towels, though I still opted to sleep in my sleeping bag liner. Room had A/C which was necessary given the humidity this time of year. Room had no windows so was pitch black once I turned off the lights. Great location, easy to locate, very central; for the price I can't imagine you'd find anything significantly better. Staff was helpful (he loaned me a converter) as well and communal shower was clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank NilikutaShani
Washington DC area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

This place was fine for four days. The rooms were clean, but really tiny. The bathroom was clean, but there was no handsoap in it. That's one thing I would have liked to see. I had no problems with the owner, he was pleasant and helpful to me. I showed up around midnight on a Sunday, he said pay me in the morning, I left at 6am that morning, and got back around 1:30 am the next day. When I awoke the 2nd morning, I got up and paid him, no complaints or anything, which was nice. I couldn't get the AC to stay at a good temperature, it was either too hot or too cold, but that could be from me not really using that kind of unit before. Free wifi was nice. The location is awesome, can't beat it. He allowed me to store my luggage there after I left. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelEMG
lisboa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

This hostel has very small rooms. It is very clean has a good location. It was really nice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mjlx_69
kl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

HONG KONG BUDGET HOSTEL only less than 10 rooms
I booking online by www.hostels.com pay deposit 10% . We (5 family member + 2 friend) reach there 3/8/2009 1pm. The lady boss show us the unhappy face & impatient. After check in we want go to having lunch, she ask me to clear hostel payment. I ask her to calculate for me, she just simply show me the total of 3 rooms. Then i request her show me the price one by one room (easy for me to collect money). After that, she unable to calculate same figures she show me total before. She ask wait for her husband jacky back to calculate payment for me & she write down my passport detail keep my passport.
dialogue.....
me: why u want to keep my passport?
boss: cause u not yet settle the payment.
me: i want settle now but u cant show me the real price, i stand here wait u calculate more than 20 minute already. we very hungry need to have lunch now, can i pay after lunch?
boss: but i need to keep your passport ( throw my passport on table)
me: if u want to keep, can u promise me my passport will be safe till i m back?
boss: take back!!! (show face again)
We 6 people off 2 rooms air-corn go for lunch downstair (just on one room air-corn for 1 person tired stay in hostel sleep). After lunch, we back to hostel rooms saw she off my friend room air-corn till my friend sleep hot & wet (we scare he will get sick). Then i ask her why she off air-corn?
Dialogue.....
me: why u turn off air-corn? i have friend sleep inside.
boss: i told u when all of u go out must off air-corn.
me: we off 2 rooms already but another room have people sleep.
boss: i dont know leave one people sleep inside, u didint tell me how many of u going out.
me: u can knock ask is it anybody inside.
boss: u better tell me next time then (ignore me)
We just scare my friend get sick only. After that, we take rest in rooms waiting her husband back to collect money.
THE BOSS (JACKY) BACK!!!!!!!!!
(knock the doll impolitely)
Dialogue........(Jacky show RUDE speaking)
jacky: i hear from my wife say your guys many complaint. what u want complaint? u complaint she off your room air-corn? i already told u go out must off air-corn, anything wrong? u didnt tell my wife how many people of u go out so is not our proplem, is your proplem.
me: we will follow your hostel rule but u can try to knock & ask. we cant every time go out to find your guys to tell right? if your guys not here how?
jacky: my wife want to keep your passport but u dont want give her & u say she will lost your passport. if like that u pay la, u can pay!!!!!!!!!!!!
me: i didnt say your wife will lost my passport, i just ask her to take care of my passport. And i want to settle payment but your wife dont know how to calculate the price. (i also dont want pay the simply amount she ask me to pay...better make it clearly then i will pay)
jacky: if u dont want to pay, off course we need to keep your passport. if u run away how?
me: our lugguge all here, why u say like that? i say again i want to make payment, i didnt make trouble, just your wife cant clearly show me the payment how can i pay? not my problem right?
jacky: say easily... u leave luggage run away dont want pay money!!!!!
me: our is guest why u talk rude?
jacky: i right i dont think need to talk u politely.if u unhappy u can leave here. leave here!!!!!!
me: ok. u want us leave ok, pls refund the deposit. i also dont want stay here!!
jacky: u unsatisfied leave here, i wont refund deposit for u. u better leave, i dont want do your business.
me: u ask us to leave must refund back deposit.
jacky: why i want refund to u, u want to leave not i didnt force u!
i really give up talk to him then i call police to settle problem. the police give me phone no to conplaint this hostel
WE MOVE OUT THERE WOULDNT STAY ONE NIGHT
suggestion: u can stay in same building 6 floor 中港, lady boss call ada. nice room, cheaper.

HE really rude, i dont want

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family