“About par for HK: expensive for what it is, but clean”

Hong Kong Budget Hostel
Ranked #107 of 159 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Staying anywhere in HK cheaply is not an easy task. This hostel is cheap by the city's ludicrous standards, but still a shock for anyone coming to Hong Kong from anywhere else in Asia.
The good: rooms are clean, as is the communal area. The A/C works well, as does the shower and electric water heater. The beds, at least in the 9th floor dorms, are pretty comfortable. The location is convenient if you want to go shopping at strange times of the day, for electronics, shoes, cheap tat, suspect street food. Argyle Street is shabby but fun, and the hostel is a five-minute walk from two well-connected MTR stations (Mong Kok and Mong Kok East).
The bad: rooms are small. As in, ridiculously small. There were three of us staying in a 4-bed dorm, and I don't honestly think we would have fitted if the room had been full. Why, in this cramped an area, the owner has elected to provide a TV, i will never understand—what a waste of space! The bathroom is extremely compact, and water leaks out from the shower pan into the ante-room like a biblical flood. There is nowhere decent to get breakfast nearby, so get used to using the Golden Arches and an overpriced Starbucks. There is no WiFi in the 9th floor rooms.
The ugly: the lifts in Sincere House are demented, so probably best to walk down and use the lift only for going up. Our room had no natural light, so maybe think of some strategy for avoiding rickets. The owner is neurotic. Maybe he has a really dry, eccentric sense of humour—or maybe he's just inordinately institutionalised. Initially he demanded payment for all the rooms, for all the nights, in cash, upon checking in. He doesn't appear to enjoy polysyllabic communication. He and the lady who also runs the place were also very particular about things like: doors, playing with their dog, checking out on time, switching off electrical things. I too wish to save the planet—but I don't ram it down people's throats with so many strongly-worded posters in the rooms.
The verdict: I don't think you can better this place in price and location (in Kowloon, at least). But you could probably find somewhere with more atmosphere, more space to breathe and hang out, and more communicative owners.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Sachin P
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Budget Hostel

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We spent our NY celebration in HK so we chose HK budget as we have been there once in 2010, I would say it's convenient for catching MTR but it's only one best thing of this place, the room was small but seemed fine but the owner was the worst, I've traveled many places but I can say this one's owner was the worst ever!, shouting at guests, being so rude and too much obsessed with the door as he would gone crazy if the guests forgot to close the door and I saw some guests had smaller room than they requested and paid for, is it called cheat? anyway if there have the minus buttons then I would definitely press minus on service rating.

Room Tip: You might have other choices if you don't wanna be upset or deal with the rude people.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank JillRika
Reviewed 11 January 2012

After reading reviews on hostels in hong kong, it was either stay at chungking mansions or somewhere else. After one night in chungking mansions i decided to move on. Not the easiest place to find but in a good location in kowloon. If your looking to make friends then this hostel is not for you as a single traveller i found that i didn't actually see anyone else staying at the hostel as there was no common area to mingle. The owner was polite but didn't really want to chat and did'nt give much advise on places to eat. My room was small and i pretty much had space for my bag and body, there was no window in the room so getting over my jetlag took a few days. After staying for 3 nights i checked out and headed to a hotel on hong kong island even though i was on a backpacker budget , i just wanted a decent place to sleep. I probably would not stay here again

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Jayda L
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 days and it was fine. the room is 5-7 square meters small and surprisingly really clean. There is no way to make any food and you have to make sure to turn off all the lights and aircon before you go out. I wouldn't stay here for more than a week.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michaela n
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed in this "place" for 3 nights and got eaten alive by the insects in the beds! We paid £30 a night for a "triple" room which comprised of a single bed and bunk beds. I slept on the bottom bunk and could see the insects crawling around on the bottom of the bed above me. Unfortunately we had already paid for the 3 nights and as we were on a budget stayed for the 3 nights. In hindsight I wish we had paid more and got a better quality place. We travelled for 5 weeks and this place was by far the worst - tiny, dirty, miserable proprietors and definately not value for money considering the consequences.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank 995jackiev
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We aren't hard to please, and we've slept in worse conditions than this, but the owner of the hostel was so rude that this hostel easily became our least favorite after traveling the world for 9 months! The rooms and bathrooms were tiny (not such a big deal if all you're doing is sleeping there), and only the 7th floor rooms have wifi (half of our group got moved to the 5th floor). Both of these weren't that big of a deal, but on the day we checked out the man that ran the hostel was banging on our doors 10 minutes before checkout time and yelling at us to get out because there were people waiting for the rooms (when we arrived before checkout time he simply told us we'd have to wait about an hour). When my mother showed him that according to her phone (which get's its time from a SATELLITE) that it was still 10 minutes until noon, he yelled and argued that in Hong Kong (aka his wall clock) it was already 10 minutes past. Then he had a screaming fit at my 13 year old sister as we were leaving because she was holding the door open for our brother to carry his bags out of the "lobby"! We had no problem with the rooms themselves, but because of that man's terrible rudeness I would NEVER stay there again, nor recommend anyone else to do so.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Meagan17
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Location is very good near to food stall, restaurants, 7-eleven stores, fast food chain are everywhere. I've stayed for 5 night and it was good, bed sheet and blanket is clean as the family run business owner come to clean your room everyday yet it's pretty safe. CCTV everywhere. They have kitchen too! microwave, fridge, water boiler and kitchen utensils for your convenient. Value for money? yea it's cheap and best thing is it makes u living in a home rather than a hostel. I would recommend this hostel to my friends :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo