Hong Kong Budget Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sun Ying Hotel(Hong Kong)
  • Free Internet
Johnson Hostel(Hong Kong)
  • Room Service
Zhong You Hotel(Hong Kong)
Dingdian Hotel(Hong Kong)
View Hotel
City Plus Hostel(Hong Kong)
A-Inn(Hong Kong)
Yue Ka Hotel(Hong Kong)
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Near MRT station, easy to find. I have booked single room with shared bathroom. The room quite small but enough for 1 person, clean room.The bathroom also clean and has water heater. The price is cheap. Recommend for budget traveler.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Ach S
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This my second stay with this hostel so I was expecting a better treatment from the owner, Jackie. I emailed for teh room reservation and I did received a prompt reply and was advised that I cannot be accommodated on a certain date and no discount on retruning guests since it is holiday( peak season).

I emailed him the second time ( after a month) when my flight scheduled was changes and added one more nights on my original booking, I also asked him if he can maybe give me discount for the longer stay and if the room is also available on our last day in HK. The response I got form him was unexpected as he replied with some words in CAPS stressing that there is no discount and that there is no more room available on the last date I requested. I responded telling him that it is normal that some reservations may be cancelled by other guests and a returning guest to ask for discount. He responded that I shoudl stop asking as I am annoying.

Since finding available hostel is almost impossible anymore, I just let the arroigance passed by and still stayed with this hostel.

The room given to us is definitely small and the bathroom has no space to move around when taking showers.

On our first night as we arrived past 10 PM after our night shopping, the lady next door which introduced herself as Jackie's wife told us to keep our voice low as there were people alreday sleeping. I was surprised at this reaction form the wife as we were just talking in a normal tone of voice and we were just on the hallway for a couple of minutes while opening the door lock. This irritated me but recalling previous comments about the rude behavior of teh lady I decided to let it pass also and I said to myself this will be the last time I will be staying in this hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank virstud
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We were significantly underwhelmed when I arrived here with some friends. The shock of the small size of the place, the fact that it was packed into this grey unappealing tower block that made my east london council block look like a swanky New York apartment did not set us off to a good start. And to top it off the owner was very unfriendly, however I think somewhat unintentionally. I think he has a problem. He is so particular and rule abiding. The reasurring side of this however is that the rooms are scrupulously clean. If you don't mind the notices and reminders plastered everywhere. And Mongkok is a bit of an odd place. But for the money this is a convenient location, AC and cleanliness, hot water, it definitely grew on me.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank francesca_hall1
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Staying anywhere in HK cheaply is not an easy task. This hostel is cheap by the city's ludicrous standards, but still a shock for anyone coming to Hong Kong from anywhere else in Asia.
The good: rooms are clean, as is the communal area. The A/C works well, as does the shower and electric water heater. The beds, at least in the 9th floor dorms, are pretty comfortable. The location is convenient if you want to go shopping at strange times of the day, for electronics, shoes, cheap tat, suspect street food. Argyle Street is shabby but fun, and the hostel is a five-minute walk from two well-connected MTR stations (Mong Kok and Mong Kok East).
The bad: rooms are small. As in, ridiculously small. There were three of us staying in a 4-bed dorm, and I don't honestly think we would have fitted if the room had been full. Why, in this cramped an area, the owner has elected to provide a TV, i will never understand—what a waste of space! The bathroom is extremely compact, and water leaks out from the shower pan into the ante-room like a biblical flood. There is nowhere decent to get breakfast nearby, so get used to using the Golden Arches and an overpriced Starbucks. There is no WiFi in the 9th floor rooms.
The ugly: the lifts in Sincere House are demented, so probably best to walk down and use the lift only for going up. Our room had no natural light, so maybe think of some strategy for avoiding rickets. The owner is neurotic. Maybe he has a really dry, eccentric sense of humour—or maybe he's just inordinately institutionalised. Initially he demanded payment for all the rooms, for all the nights, in cash, upon checking in. He doesn't appear to enjoy polysyllabic communication. He and the lady who also runs the place were also very particular about things like: doors, playing with their dog, checking out on time, switching off electrical things. I too wish to save the planet—but I don't ram it down people's throats with so many strongly-worded posters in the rooms.
The verdict: I don't think you can better this place in price and location (in Kowloon, at least). But you could probably find somewhere with more atmosphere, more space to breathe and hang out, and more communicative owners.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Sachin P
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We spent our NY celebration in HK so we chose HK budget as we have been there once in 2010, I would say it's convenient for catching MTR but it's only one best thing of this place, the room was small but seemed fine but the owner was the worst, I've traveled many places but I can say this one's owner was the worst ever!, shouting at guests, being so rude and too much obsessed with the door as he would gone crazy if the guests forgot to close the door and I saw some guests had smaller room than they requested and paid for, is it called cheat? anyway if there have the minus buttons then I would definitely press minus on service rating.

Room Tip: You might have other choices if you don't wanna be upset or deal with the rude people.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends