“Typical Disney Magic”

Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #59 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Our family of four Mum , Dad 14Y/O Daughter and 70+Y/O Nanna visited Hong Kong in Feb/Mar 2009. We spent the first week in Kowloon and then a further 3 nights in this amazing hotel. We have been to Disneyland in California and stayed on site in the Disneyland hotel so we simply had to do the same here. As a guest of the hotel the Disney experience doesnt stop when you leave the park in the evening. Every single thing exceeds your expectation. There were shuttle buses running every 10mins back and forward from the hotel to the park (less than 10 min trip). My husbands birthday fell during the stay and how special was that ! His name as displayed on the special events screen, he was given a Birthday badge and after the most wonderful day in the park we arrived back in our room to find 2 "cakes" made from towelling, one from housekeeping and one with a personal card from Mickey himself.The breakfast at Enchanted Garden is one we will never forget, the characters mill around willing you to have a memorable dining experience and the food is superb.
The rooms are beautifully fitted out and a family of 4 fit comfortably. The beds and pillows were a little too firm for us . The toilettries and goodies were endless and the best quality. The huge flat screen tv had the added bonus of an sd camera card slot so we could view our snaps at the end of the day. Each person had robes and complimentary scuffs. Most morning you could find Disney characters walking around in the colourfully opulent lobby complete with grand piano .The gardens are magnificent and we could walk along the waterfront to the park. There is a great little gift shop where the staff were always willing to help.Disney have out done themselves with the great attention to detail without losing the Chinese feel. All the staff were attentive and beautifully groomed and the overall service and standard was outstanding.Speaking English was never a problem.
I only wish there had been a guest laundry available as the dry cleaning fees were a little pricey.
This is the place to stay if you want to visit Disneyland in Hong Kong for a few days, its worth every cent.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank gidget_8
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2009

We stayed at the Hong Kong Disneyland hotel 3 times April 2007, July 2008 and February 2009. and we all loved each time very much. Check in, check out was fast. all the staff spoke english and were very polite and helpful, handed out lots of disney stickers to my daughter all the time.

Rooms (we stayed at the garden view) are spacious and very clean with lots of drawers for your stuff and comfortable bed and clean carpet very sunny yet the windows don't open, the sofa in the room opens up to a single bed (or into a double bed in other rooms) which was great for my 5 year old daughter, the TV channels were excellent for her viewing also when its fireworks time at the park (every night at 8.00 pm ) there's a channel that plays the music with the fireworks (about 15 minutes long). the Bathrooms were very clean with really cute toiletries you can take home with you, also the "do not disturb" sign at the door with the dwarfs picture is complimentary, I asked the lady at reception desk and she said its for you to take home - which i loved. internet in the room was free of charge.

Breakfast either at the "Enchanted Garden Character Buffet" where Mickey, Goofy Pluto are there wearing chefs clothes and Miney or Daisy would be there too ( never donald i dont know why) you buy the breakfast brochure everyday for the next day (or all at once but i liked that I get the option instead of a package) the food however is O.K. not to yummy yet very PRICY so we didn't go to it to often (besides your not able to eat two mouthfuls without a character jumping in you face for a photo ) and very noisy too. The "Grand salon" which is in the lobby was quite, cheaper yet with limited food selection . I loved ( well my daughter loved) that after breakfast at the lobby everyday around 10.30-11.30 we find a disney princess where we stand in a short line and her two assistance help us take a photo with her. the gift shop is great too.

The garden maze was lots of fun also there is a long walk near the ocean that was wonderful and peaceful, a small playground ( for toddlers maybe) we didn't get to swim at the pool but it looked very clean and lots of fun for kids with its large slide.

The shuttle bus takes you to Disneypark and MTR( subway) station every 10 minutes (a few minutes ride) very organized and efficient when it was very crowded (during Chinese new year there were many busses going to and from the park at once). Stayed at the hotel about 5-6 days each time, bought tickets to the park for one day and we got the next day entry for free. So the rest of the days we stayed at the hotel we went out to explore Hong kong city instead of going to another hotel in the city since the price and service were great, also the area is very quite and relaxing compared to downtown Hong Kong...and of course so that my little one can still enjoy disney and see her beloved princesses.

1  Thank Hanoona
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Check-in was easy. The rooms were simple but elegant and very clean, and the staff was courteous and attentive. Two pools to use, indoor and outdoor. Simple but fun garden maze. Children can not only have breakfast with Disney characters, but can casually run into them in the hotel lobby during various times of the day. Beautiful ocean view. Fantastic (if slightly pricey) Chinese restaurant. Family friendly, with some special activities for children.

And if that wasn't good enough, the Magic Kingdom (well, a small version of it) is just a brisk walk or a brief bus ride away.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank malupit
Reviewed 10 March 2009

One of our best holidays ever…

In October we had 2 weeks holiday in Hong Kong – and the last two days/nights we spend in Disneyland. We all just loved it, even my husband. All staff with no exceptions was so sweet, polite and helpful. Compared to the rude French in Disney Paris, we felt very much welcome, and it was the perfect ending of a wonderful vacation.

Room was ready when we arrived around noon, and we got a sea-view room even though we only paid for a garden view. Breakfast with the characters was a bit hit and the pool was lovely. Everything was new, clean, functional and very large rooms, especially for Hong Kong standards.

Must say we were very pleasantly surprised – it was simply the best!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank love-2-travel_2820
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We stayed for one night last Feb 2009. Others have written extensive reviews and i don't want to say the same things.

It was a good experience for us. They gave us connecting rooms like we requested. We got an early check in. And the crib and bed rails were waiting for us as we entered the room. I also had to clean the bed rails... it had dried red stain on the plastic part. Not sure if it was dried blood or dried red marker.... hoping it was the marker. But I wiped it off with a tissue and alcohol.

We've previously stayed in Hollywood Hotel 2x before. I think the Disneyland Hotel is worth the extra money. The princesses and Alice who were at the lobby really made my daughter so happy. The character breakfast in the Enchanted Garden was a real treat for my son! And the maze was a lot of fun for them as well.

We only stayed one night here and spent the rest of the nights at W Hotel. Looking back, we should have stayed 2 nights at Disneryland Hotel. We have 3 small kids and you can't move or see sights as fast bec of so many stops! So to have a liesurely time at the park and hotel, I think 2 nights will be best for us. Given that we spent 1.5 days there, we didn't get to do everything! My kids are 4, 2 and 7 mos. If you have bigger kids, you can accomplish more.

Service was good. Room was clean. Food was so so. We ate at the lobby lounge, I forget the name. It was the one overlooking the maze. We chose to ate there so the kids could see the characters coming in the lobby! So it was sort of like a character lunch. But you had to walk a tiny bit to see them. And we also had the character breakfast. It was worth it to see the happiness in my son's face. My daughter felt sick and decided to sleep in that morning..

Overall, it was a very good and memorable experience for the family.

1  Thank Charlene C
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for 4 nights in the second lag of our two-week Asia trip in February. We are a family with two kids ages 5 and 6 (turning 7 in a few weeks). I have been to Hong Kong numerous times but this was the first trip for my husband and the kids. Originally we planned to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for 2 nights, then the Kowloon Shangri-la for another two. However, once we arrived at the Disneyland Hotel, the kids immediately fell in love -- their first comment was: “this hotel looks so familiar, just like the one in San Diego!”. Well, the hotel is indeed a replica of the historic Hotel del Coronado (less than 30 minutes from our house in San Diego), which we frequently visit. The kids kept on insisting that they wanted to stay there for the whole time (they may be a bit homesick after seeing the hotel), so we finally gave in and stayed for 4 nights.

In the beginning I was quite reluctant to give up our reservation at the Shangri-la, as we booked a harbor view suite to celebrate our 15th anniversary (Shangri-la was fantastic and did not charge us for the cancellation!). I also felt that staying 5 days at Disney was not my idea of an authentic Hong Kong experience for our kids. However, the kids absolutely loved this hotel and were very very happy with everything it has to offer and we ended up having a good time. The hotel is beautiful, the ground meticulously landscaped, and there’s a nice walking path along the shore of the South China Sea and lots of room for the kids to roam about. So we had a surprisingly peaceful, relaxing, and pleasant stay. Since many of the previous reviews have offered excellent information on the rooms, the restaurants, and hotel amenities already, I will focus this review on the rooms and services at the Kingdom Club.

When we booked our stay, we took the advice from several people on this forum and purchased an Hong Kong Disneyland annual pass for my son for hotel and dining discounts. With the pass we had a choice of either 35% discount off hotel rooms during weekdays, or paying rack rate for a guaranteed upgrade to the Kingdom Club suite. Since we needed two rooms we decided to purchase the premium pass for the upgrade and we were very happy that we did so. The Kingdom Club is located at the 7th floor of the hotel, with its own check-in desk, dedicated concierge, and a private dining room. The dining room is the main gathering place for the Kingdom Club guests. It serves a very nice buffet breakfast, drinks and snacks throughout the day and appetizers in the evenings, all complementary. It also offered several newspapers in 3 different languages (Chinese, English, and Japanese) and bedtime stories for the kids. The buffet breakfast was very good, with typical western breakfast items (including cereals, eggs, ham, sausages, hash brown, smoked salmon, a variety of pastries, bread, fruits) and traditional Cantonese breakfast items (such as dim sum, fried noodles and rice congee). The appetizers in the evenings were equally good, with a variety of finger foods, pastries, dessert, fruits, and some luxurious items such as seared tuna, finger sandwiches with crab salad; drink choices included wine, sparkling water (Perrier and San Pelligrino), soft drinks, and beer. They also served snacks, drinks and fruits throughout the day. This arrangement was extremely convenient for us as our kids could just stop by at the Kingdom Club whenever they wanted a something to eat. In the evenings you can view the fireworks from the dining room or the balcony while munching on yummy appetizers. A couple nights we were so full we decided to skip dinner and just ordered a few small dishes from room service.

Our suite was roomy, and very nicely (and tastefully) decorated. In the living room there is a large sleeper sofa and two chairs, an armoire with a flat-screen TV with DVD player, a dining table for 4, a minibar, a coffee maker, and a safe. In the living room there’s a half bathroom right by the entrance, and opposite the half-bath there’s a connecting door to another guestroom so it could potentially become a two-bedroom suite. The bedroom has two double beds, another flat-screen TV with DVD player, a desk, a chest drawer, and a very large bathroom with a separate shower, a Jacuzzi bathtub, a separate vanity with chair. The room is extremely nice with tons of drawers and more than enough storage space for our family of 4. The only complain I could even think of is that there’s only one sink in the bathroom, instead of the customary two in most high-end western hotels. The suite also comes with two small balconies and our room has beautiful views of the South China Sea, Kowloon, Hong Kong and a few offshore islands, and the bridges connecting Lantau island to the mainland. At night we often sat on the balcony with a drink and just looked at the lights from the city and the boats. So it was unexpectedly relaxing for my husband and I.

The hotel (and Hollywood hotel as well) offers 2nd day free Disneyland park ticket deal for its guests. This turns out to be great for us, as our kids could only do a few hours of sightseeing everyday, and they did get tired from the 30-40 minute subway ride back and forth into town. We did hit most of the usual tourist attractions such as the Peak Tram, Star Ferry, Avenue of Stars, double-decker bus, the Ngong Ping cable car, etc. but in the afternoon the kids just wanted to spend a few hours in Disneyland, hang out at the hotel, or run around the Mickey Mouse maze. Although I have to say that Hong Kong Disneyland itself was very small and non-descript (what people said in the forum are true!). It’s hard to understand why they selected this incredible seaside location, built a dedicated Mickey Mouse train to connect to the main MTR line, built two beautiful hotels and a nice lake for paddle boating, and, a small, mediocre park??!! There were only 10-15 rides in total and you can walk around the park in less than an hour. Anyhow, our kids loved all the rides, the parade, Lion King and Mickey Mouse shows and we could tell they this really the highlights of their vacation in Hong Kong. We realized that instead of packing our daily schedule with a sightseeing hit-list with whiny kids, it is simply more enjoyable to slow down and treasure the moment as a family. The kids were so happy every day and this is more important for us than going to one more temple or museum.

On our fourth day it rained in the morning so we decided to stay in. We discovered that there’s a kids club at the hotel and my kids decided to go check it out. It offers organized activities throughout the day but kids need to be accompanied by their parents. It is really geared toward little kids and my son quickly grew bored and I decided to take him into Kowloon for some sightseeing and shopping. My daughter loved it and ended up staying there for two hours while my husband tried to finish up a book sitting on a Mickey Mouse chair. Several of the princess characters came to visit the kids club and she later had a tea party with Cinderella and Snow White by herself. The characters chatted with her for a very long time and she was truly happy. The characters seemed to hang out in the lobby every so often to greet the guests and later on she also met Alice (in the wonderland) and Mulan in the lobby. Needless to say this was the highlight of my daughter’s entire Asia trip!

The concierge service at the Kingdom club was fantastic! We frequently stay at 5-star hotels such as the Four Seasons and I would say that the concierge service was better than ANY hotel we’ve stayed in. One afternoon my husband and I decided that we’ve had enough of the room service food and overpriced resort restaurants, and that we should go into town for a nice dinner. As we were flipping through our guide books, I thought a dinner at Felix at the Peninsula Hotel with a view of Victoria Harbor will make up for my husband’s having to spend our anniversary at Disneyland (he originally wanted to go to Bali but I talked him into going to Hong Kong. Even though he did not complain I knew this was far from his idea of spending our anniversary).

I remember it was pass 2pm in the afternoon when I walked into the Kingdom Club and told the concierge about my dinner plan. As I was talking to the concierge I realized we also needed a babysitter for the kids. The concierge smiled and said he would try his best, he just had to make a few phone calls to see whether he could find us a babysitter (the hotel has a 24-hr advanced reservation policy). While he was on the phone, another concierge called the Peninsula, told them she had two VIP guests celebrating anniversary, then apparently the call was transferred to another person and she started speaking rapidly in Cantonese. A few minutes later she told us that she was able to secure us a table with a view. At 5:30pm our sitter arrived, after spending some time with the sitter to make sure our kids were in good hands, my husband and I started our 40-minute trek to Kowloon. At 7pm we were seated at one of the best tables at Felix on the 28th floor of the Peninsula Hotel, right by the window, with unobstructed view of the Victoria Harbor. We toasted champagne, had a fantastic 3-course dinner, and watched Symphony of Lights together. It was truly a memorable evening and it took a team of dedicated and capable concierge to make it happen!

Even though our vacation plan was unexpectedly modified by our kids, it was overall a very nice, enjoyable vacation. The Disneyland Hotel is truly a gem, and I will highly recommend this hotel, especially the Kingdom Club, to any family with small children as a comfortable alternative base from the rest of the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong.

5  Thank vintage2002mom
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights on Feb 09. We arrived pretty early, 11am and they had one of our rooms ready, the other was read as promised, at 3PM. After purchasing our park tickets we headed to Buddha and Citygate outlets.

We arrived back to our hotel, took a little break and headed to park for a quick look and something to eat. The next morning we went straight to the park, spent the whole day there and arrived to hotel and went for dinner in Enchancet Garden, the character buffet. The buffet was excellent, lots of selection and the quality was goof. And the characters, well, they were just great, goofying with everyone of us, ok the restautant was pretty empty, so maybe that explains that, but we loved our dinner. It was pricy, but, hey, it's Disney :)

The room, clean, comfy, excellent beds etc. Our room had a balcony facing the park, so we could listen the elephants on Jungle Cruise :)

Service was very good, nothing was too much to ask from the helpfull staff. And the lobby...man, it is beatiful.

All in all, of all the Disney hotels we have stayed, this has been the best so far, no we have to test the last one (California), then we have completed our Disney world tour :)

-Pete