“better of the two hotels but lacking disney character”

Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #59 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 June 2010

better of the two hotels but lacking disney character

There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Called the hotel hotline to book. The lady could not find my records (stayed there twice before). I kept insisting that they find my records as i wanted to book the same room I had before and she eventually found it. When i booked the room, she told me that i needed to get the higher end rooms as it was fully booked and i wasn't entitled to any discounts (35% for annual pass holder) as the "budget rooms" are all taken. Was trying very hard to upsell me. I got pissed and ended the conversation. Booked through the internet. Got the room i wanted and everything was settled in slightly more than 5 mins (wasted 15 mins with the lady over the phone).

Requested for a seaview with balcony kingdom club room but was assigned a garden view. They did changed the room for me at night though.

The major thing i want to point out is...the employees rarely smile, the cast at disneyland park lacked passion, was just going through motion....in fact, many of them look moody.

Same goes for the hotel staff. Only two were smiley, the front desk lady that checked me in (although assigned me the wrong room) and the lady that did the make-up for our little gal (our little gal took the "little princess" makeover and photoshoot session).

The drivers looked impatient and moody. When we walked by the chambermaids, we smiled but they ignored us (and they looked gloomy). The folks at the kingdom club lounge were not friendly. The hotel staff would only acknowledge you if you speak to them, if not, they just ignore you. Why is everyone (almost) so moody?

The worst was the lady trying to sell the pictures of photos of our little girl in her princess outfit to us. We felt sad after talking to her. No passion, eyes looked blank, couldn't be bothered attitude, short curt answers, we spent at least 20 mins with her and NOT ONE SMILE....

How can the place be happy if the staff are not.....

Wake up Disney.

5  Thank jialoong
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days, 4 nights. For some, this might be a little too much Disneyland but it was my 7 yo first trip abroad. I am very picky at hotels and would only stay at Sofitel or Makati Shang in Manila. So Disneyland Hotel was the hotel of choice and not Hollywood Hotel. Arrived at the hotel before 10am as we took the 620am flight out of Manila. Check in was easy and hassle free. I attribute this to the day we checked in - Monday. We were given a room immediately. I asked for a Star Guest pass and received the pass, a roll of stickers, a birthday badge (for my 7 yo) and more stickers. Who could ask for more?

Our room was the cheapest one - Garden View. It was comfortable for 4 people as it had 2 double beds. Considerably bigger by HK standards. Bathroom has a bathtub, a spacious counter and was roomy overall. Housekeeping was very prompt, a 10 min wait is long. I asked for 4 more sets of pillows, 2 sets of toiletries, an additional bathrobe and extra slippers for my 7 yo. All my requests were attended to with utmost promptness and courtesy. We got a rabbit for the animal towel and a towel cake plus birthday card for my bday celebrant.

We enjoyed the pool. They had an outdoor and an indoor pool. However, the towels seem to have been left out in the open a day too long as they stink. The Mickey Maze was fun as well. We went out on a Monday and my daughter had the maze all to herself. Next to the maze is a gate that leads out to a pathway along the South China Sea. My dad enjoyed this space every morning, as he wakes up very early in the morning. He would sit by the sea and enjoy the sunrise with his morning paper while waiting for us sleepyheads to wake up. Even 67 year olds have a place to go!

The food is another story. It was monotonous, imagine staying for 5 days and eating the same breakfast. There are cheaper dining options by Hollywood Hotel. Consider going there for lunch or dinner. Chef Mickey is good by itself. Hollywood and Dine is the fastfood restaurant. Not too many choices here though. We tried the Character Bfast at Enchanted Garden. Was a bit disappointed as there was only Mickey, Goofy and Pluto. We were hoping to see Minnie, Donald or Daisy instead of the 2 dogs. I think you'll have more luck with dinner as we saw Winnie and Minnie one time. Or better yet, ask ahead and make sure the characters you want to see would be there when you are. I honestly don't think that the buffets are overpriced for the place. Most expensive buffet was at HK$250 or around P1500. This is cheaper than Makati Shang or Sofitel.

Buy your merchandise at the hotel shops so you dont have to lug them around at the park. Although for hotel guests, you can ask the park shops to deliver your purchases to your hotel. The hotel shops have mostly whats available in the park. If they dont have it, you can ask them to get it. I also availed of the pay 510 for 600 purchase offer. Browse the HKDL website for other offers as well.

By the way, they run Disney the whole day in one channel. So be prepared to watch Chip and Dale episodes over and over again. They have free internet in the rooms though. So you can entertain yourself with your laptop once the television has been sequestered.

The other days we werent at the park, we were out shopping. We spent one day at Tsim Sha Tsui for good ole haggle shopping. Another day we spent exploring Ngong Ping Cable Cars and the Citigate Outlet Malls. This is very accessible to HKDL. HKDL has their own MTR stop. You will see the MTR station before you even get to the HKDL entrance. Take the very Mickey train to Tung Chung. From here, you cant miss the outlet malls and the cable cars. The Outlet Mall has a floor dedicated to sports wear. You'll find Nike, Adidas, World Balance, Puma, Reebok, K Swiss. They have great brands like Mango, Giordano, Clarks, Coach. You can spend a whole day here so bring plastic money. If you need to save some money, eat your meals at Tung Chung. There's KFC, McDonalds and most other good restaurants. You can even go out after the fireworks and still make dinner at Tung Chung, its that near! HKDL runs their shuttle service until 12 midnight. So no worries about going back to the hotel at all. You can make arrangements if you plan to arrive past 12 midnight so they can pick you up.

Only real complain I have is that 2 people from our party got what looked like bedbug bites. Not sure though if this was from the pool or the room itself.

6  Thank M0mmyDearest
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We visited HK Disneyland in January and stayed at this hotel. When we arrived we decided to pay extra for a seaview room. It looked like a corner room. It was spacious with a very comfortable king bed and jacuzzi in the bathroom. The windows, furniture and bathroom are victorian style which is different from the modern designer style of other hotels. In addition to the usual bathrobes and slippers for adults, there was a kid size bathrobe and a pair of kid size mickey mouse slippers for our toddler. Nice touch!

It's very convenient to go to Disneyland, just hop on the free shuttle bus outside the entrance which also takes you to Disney's Hollywood Hotel. We didn't eat at Disneyland Hotel as we found it too expensive. Instead we took the shuttle bus and had buffet breakfast at Hollywood Hotel. The food was very good and less expensive. There are also some restaurants and fast food in Disneyland but charging tourist prices.

Be sure to take the Ngong Ping cable car while you are at lantau island. Go on a weekday morning to avoid the crowd and you can get a cable car to yourself. The cable cars are big and the scenery is nice. Nothing much to see at the temple end though except a giant Buddha statue.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2010

It was a truly magical experience..........
We were celebrating my niece's 6th birthday and were were all excited as it was her first trip abroad but also a little anxious as it was her first trip without her parents. We had booked the Kingdom club room and had opted for the Celebration package.
From the moment we entered the hotel gates our experience was brilliant. We were escorted to the lounge where the check in process was express. The room was beautifully decorated with balloons, flowers and other freebies. We had a quick snack at the lounge and proceeded to the lobby level for the little princess makeover ( we strongly recommend this program for the younger girls).
The hotel lobby was beautifully done up and when the Disney princesses arrived there it added even more color! The gardens with the maze and the large swimming pool were wonderful. There were loads of kid friendly activities throughout the day.
Dinner at the Enchanted Garden was perfect. As we had opted for the celebration package, all the Disney Characters sang for the birthday girl and helped her cut her most amazing birthday cake. The variety at the buffet was excellent. We would recommend the slots after 9.00 pm when the kids can spend more time interacting with the characters.
Shuttle buses to the the park and back were available round the clock. The park itself was small compared to its US counterparts which made it great for the younger kids.
The fireworks dinner package was an interesting affair as well.
After a couple of nights there we never wanted to check out........

1  Thank divinedoc
Reviewed 26 May 2010

good hotel but over priced.isd phonecalls are very expensive.food is good they serve buffet which has lot of indian curries and dal.rooms are small but good view.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Beautiful & tranquil hotel with a big lobby area. Concierge staff are professional (don't expect warm personalised service though) but felt that the check-in/check-out process is somewhat slow considering that there’s not even a queue when we are there. Family-friendly facilities with indoor & outdoor pool with water slides, playground, garden with maze, numerous activities for the children around the hotel and Disney character at the hotel lobby at certain timings for photo taking. The lobby store sells Disney souvenirs too although you can find a wider variety at the park itself. Pros of shopping at the hotel would be it’s less crowded at the hotel & you can leave the merchandise at the hotel instead of carrying it all the way with you if you buy from the park. I realised I got the wrong size for my girl’s T- shirt which I bought at the park when I was packing my luggage & they allow customers to change at the hotel’s store without the need to return to the same store at the park for exchange.

Rooms are kids-friendly with 2 queen size beds in the room (connecting rooms available upon request). Spacious & cozy bathrooms with well stock-up of toiletries. Very thoughtful to provide a standing stool for young kids & plastic cup although not sure why only 1 is provided so my young twins had to take turns to use the cup. Slippers (for guest to bring home) and bathrobes are available for the kids as well. The TV size is good and you can get Disney Cartoon TV channels for kids. The only flaw with the room would be the dusty drawers & cabinets. I pulled out a coaster from the drinks cabinet and to my surprise, dirt started flying before my eyes & the coaster is also covered in dust.

Disneyland is very near to the airport so the trip from airport cost only HKD110. It’s a wiser choice compared to taking train as you have to change train 2 times before you reach the park & then hop on to the free shuttle bus to the hotel (every 10-15 mins interval) dragging your luggage all the way. I wonder why Disneyland station wasn’t being placed in a more strategic MTR line. The shuttle bus service is just outside the hotel covering 3 areas in the order of Disneyland Park -> Disneyland hotel -> Disney’s Hollywood hotel. Rates for Disneyland hotel is more expensive compared to Disney’s Hollywood hotel but the exterior, interior décor and furnishing explains it all.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family