“Hooray for Hollywood”

Ranked #89 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
nj
“Hooray for Hollywood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We chose to stay at the Hollywood Hotel because it was close to the HK D'land Park and the airport. Subway transportation is easy in HK with a station right down the road from this hotel.
The room was large with a good view of HK harbour, fairly well sound-proofed, attractively decorated in an Art Deco theme which runs throughout the hotel.
The hotel surprisingly lacked good Disney channels and western TV. Shampoo and other amenities were in short supply, probably because everyone takes them home! Several nice but typically pricey restaurants offered a variety of dining experiences. And of course there was a large shop for that last minute Disney purchase.
The grounds around the hotel were well landscaped with beautiful flowers and shrubs. Because it was chilly, the outdoor piano shaped pool and hot tub were not open.
All in all, a nice Disney place to stay and play. One suggestion for the hotel--add the Hollywoodland sign to the hills next to the property!

Room Tip: Water view at the end of the hall is nice. It also might be a bit quieter if that is what you like.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank snivvy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

This is highly recommended for a family.
Plus: big rooms, big beds, disney-inspired amenities, free shuttle bus to Disney park, great lawn/park outside, great service especially with the concierge, with free wifi.
Minus: expensive food, even with the complimentary 80% discount.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Benjo2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We were not sure if we would regret choosing to stay at Hollywood hotel rather than the other hotel option but I can honestly say that we did not regret our choice for one minute.
This was our first Disney experience so I have no comparison in regards to it's Disney quality but for first timers we were incredibly impressed. The service was faultless and the attention to detail and making the trip amazing for children was incredible. My boys did not stop smiling the whole time we were there.
The food was so good that almost a year on (I have been a bit slow with writing the review) they still reference all food rankings against Mickey's buffet. The diner provided good breakfast options.
Unfortunately the pool was under maintenance when we were there but we were able to use the indoor option at the other Disney hotel which was beautiful.
Shuttles to the park made transportation easy to the park.
We were sad to leave when it was time to move on but we will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqui W
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This was my second time staying in this hotel and it was wonderful both times.

My fiancé and I stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed the great service, spacious room, as well as the delicious food at the Studio Lounge.

We also dined at Chef Mickey for breakfast on our last day before check out. While the place was packed, the staff members were very efficient and attentive - they did a great job accommodating everyone.

The shuttle service, arriving every 10 minutes, offered comfort and convenience.

The only thing that wasn't so great was the fact that our entire floor had kids on a school trip staying there and in the morning, it was literally impossible to sleep in because the noise was ridiculously loud with kids running up and down the hallway, screaming, yelling, giggling, and crying. But hey, it's Disneyland and kids acting their worst is to be expected.

Otherwise, it was a great stay and would definitely come back again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Las Pinas, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and 3 kids enjoyed our 3 day 2 nights stay here. They accommodated our luggage even before our check-in time, and got them in our room when we checked in after our Disneyland tour. The room is spacious for us, my kids are 8,6 and 3 years old. The room is clean, the bathroom is tidy and complete with toiletries designed in the Disney way. Internet connection is fast, we used 2 iPhones with no connection problems. No noise during the nights we stayed there.

We had our breakfast in one of the diner-themed restaurant in the lobby. Serving is quite small for its price, the meal is just good for a tummy-fix before you head off to Disneyland. Better to avail of the pricey Breakfast Buffet with Disney characters in the other hotel, specially if you have kids.

Shuttle service is superb, no delays experienced, always available on-time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank docsarsi
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel was good but nothing spectacular. The view was nice since we could see the fireworks from the park at night. The shuttle bus to the park was very convenient and made the stay there worthwhile. I would recommend staying here while visiting Disneyland but then transferring somewhere else while exploring the rest of Hong Kong.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

On my final night at the Hollywood Hotel in HK I wrote a 3 page complaint letter to management. I was so so disappointed with my stay there and really wish I had known not to go. A waste of my money and time! The lobby was crazy busy and there is nothing welcoming about the reception area. Line up and wait! Feels like that's all you do in HK! WAIT! the concierge and bell staff were very unfriendly upon arrival, taking all our luggage to storage because we were too early! I had asked for early check in but I got the impression that they didn't even try. The rooms were decent size but very dated and boring. The bathroom was very nice and very spacious. No wardrobe doors which I didn't like as the wardrobe is right in your view when you open the door. What I am disappointed about at Hollywood Hotel is that this is a hotel at Disneyland. The reason I booked to bring my family there was because we wanted to experience a fun, family friendly, place that was Disney! The only staff that smiled and said hello were the cleaning staff! The rest of the hotel staff were very straight faced and rude really. where was the goofy fun kid loving staff!? its Disneyland! where was the Disney magic? Where were the Disney characterS? how hard is it for the characters to visit the hotel, after all shouldn't this be part of the reason you stay at the hotel? If I wanted an ordinary hotel stay I could have booked at the near by Novotel - but I booked at Disney Hollywood Hotel because I wanted the extraordinary! chef Mickey comes out for half an hour at breakfast or lunch and you pay for the photo! Breakfast is not included in the room rate and the Chef Mickey restaurant is very expensive and not worth it. The Lounge for light snacks and drinks was very nice, we enjoyed a drink and the kids watched a movie, I think that was the only memorable moment in the hotel. They dont even have room service!!! On the last day we took a stroll outside, the lawns and gardens are beautiful, the views are stunning over the water and the pool looks fun for the summertime. But really I felt very unappreciated, I stayed at the Shangri La in Kowloon for 4 nights after this and I really wished I had just gone straight there instead of wasting my money and time at Hollywood Hotel. I recommend staying in any other accommodation and just commuting to the park on the days you want. Its really not worth it to stay there.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room on the top floor - no view of anything nice really - just the back part of th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family