“Posh hotel with neighborhood feel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lanson Place Hotel

Lanson Place Hotel
Ranked #20 of 715 Hotels in Hong Kong
Portland, Oregon
“Posh hotel with neighborhood feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

Unassuming exterior but the interior was quite plush. It's a perfect boutique hotel without being pretentious. Great location-- a couple blocks from the train station and Times Square. We loved that the hotel room felt like a mini apartment-- complete with kitchen and living room space. Great for all the egg tarts and Hong Kong snacks you're bound to buy in the course of your tour of this great city. And for those steamy afternoons when you just want to stay in and chill out, try the lounge, complete with library with a great set of books. Finally, for one of the best noodle places, to Mak's Noodles and order a bowl of wonton noodle. AMAZING. It will set the benchmark for all other noodle shops.

2 Thank gendeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

Getting in from the Airport was a breeze via the AEX and then a short cab ride from HK Station. Could have booked the hotel shuttle, but we were in no hurry...

When we arrived at the hotel on 5 Aug, it was in the pouring rain, but the staff were all ready with umbrellas and we were whisked away to Reception with the minimum of fuss. Check-in was painless, and their Manager had already upgraded us to the Executive Suite at the time of booking, when he heard we were on our anniversary holiday.

The common areas were very refined, our room was comfortable and service was helpful and sincere. Breakfast suited us fine - while not a big spread, was enough to get us going in the mornings. Location was excellent - brisk 5 min walk to the MTR at Causeway Bay, Times Square, Sogo. Many eateries in the vicinity, including a couple of famous wanton noodles/porridge shops. Walking towards Causeway Bay via Lee Gardens 1 & 2 will take you through a quieter road, but with small interesting shops before you get to the busy & noisy areas.

Our flight home was at 6.30pm and late check-out was happily given by Reception. We booked the Airport Shuttle door-to-door service at HK220 for 2 persons.

My only suggestion would be for the lighting to be improved at the bathroom sink, as it is difficult to get make-up done with the shadows on the face.

It's always nice when a hotel does not pretend to be something it is not. Lanson Place delivered intimate service amidst the bustle of Causeway Bay. Would definitely stay here again!

3 Thank jisub
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

I just spent 3 nights here with my boyfriend and we had a lovely stay. The hotel is in a good location in Causeway Bay - about 5min walk on foot to Times Square or Sogo (and the MTR).
I arrived early, about 10.30am. As the official check-in time is 2pm I was a little worried I wouldn't get the room until then, but the room was given to me without any problems which was just lovely. We were also given an upgrade from a premier room to a deluxe room - a big thank you to Adelaide who checked us in.
Deluxe room was great - a large and very comfortable queen bed, plus a smaller sitting area with a flat-screen TV. The room also had a kitchenette which was rather handy as we could stock up on fruit etc at the city super in Times Square. There is no minibar although there is a complimentary gift of a box of biscuits, some juice and water.
I was worried about the size of the room from the photos, but there is quite a bit of space here to put things away as there are lots of drawers. The bathroom was v. clean and the toiletries good, although you'll need to bring your own razors.
I had read about the see-through bathrooms, but a section of the glass is frosted so you can really only see the feet if you are outside. In the deluxe room the bathroom is around a small corner, so you can avoid being seen completely if you direct your partner to stay away from the bathroom if you choose. And the hotel can put curtains up in the bathroom to cover the glass if you wish (which I had originally asked for but changed my mind after seeing the room).
The hotel will not match prices if you find something cheaper elsewhere (vs an email quote or their website). We booked via ctrip, by far the cheapest website for Chinese hotels.
There is a small selection of items you can get from room service, but the hotel provides a very comprehensive delivery menu if you want to eat in your room so that more than makes up for it. The breakfast offered by the hotel is only continental so we didn't take it up as there are bakeries and coffee shops within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel.
The staff are unobtrusive but helpful, although not terribly clear with directions if you are on foot. We were never offered a map when asking how to walk somewhere, which would have been helpful. Lucky we like wondering the streets and there are plenty of shops around so it's quite interesting.
We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay here again.

5 Thank gin_and_jelly
Amelia Island, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

I arrived at the door steps of the Lanson Place Hotel after 5 days in mainland China and an arduous couple of hours crossing from Shenzhen into Hong Kong with three heavy bags in 95 degree weather. When the taxi pulled up, I had no Hong Kong dollars. The doormen at the hotel immediately paid the driver for me and whisked me and my bags into the cool comfortable confines of this gorgeous property and the entire staff made me feel like royalty for the next three days.

My room was an executive suite, which was plenty spacious for Hong Kong standards. The room was nice and cool when I walked in and the King bed and bedding was super comfortable. All of the rooms are equipped with a mini-fridge that I stocked with a few beers, waters and sodas from the 7-Eleven about 100 feet from the hotel entrance. I really like the floor to ceiling windows and had a nice view out into the bustling Causeway Bay neighborhood.

The breakfast was not superfluous but was satisfying. The hotel is only two blocks from some excellent pedestrian shopping walks around the Times Square and World Trade Center complexes. You can reach Central HK by MTR, Trolley or a five minute cab ride.

When I was packing my bags and getting ready to check out, I called the concierge for help with my bags and someone was at my door in one minute flat. This level of service and attention to detail was the standard for everything I experienced at Lanson Place whether it was asking for restaurant suggestions or getting my laundry cleaned. I am absolutely certain I will stay at Lanson Place on my next visit to Hong Kong and you should too!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Hamp_WhaleTraveled
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

While the Lanson Place lacked some of the refined luxury of other great hotels in Hong Kong and Kowloon, it made up for its deficiencies with a warmth and coziness that made our stay fantastic. The location in Cuaseway Bay allowed us to eat and shop well close by and public transportation was accessable if we wanted to travel afar. The room was somewhat large, modern and trendy. One caveat, the glass enclosed bathroom is in the middle of the room. Thus, be comfortable with your partner or spouse or work out before you get to Hong Kong. The room was quiet and the bed and furnishings comfortable. There even are coin operated washing machines available for use in the hotel. The staff, although a bit young and naive, attempeted to steer us in the right direction for our tastes. Sometimes, their suggestions were geared to some one 20 years younger, but at least they cared and smiled. Although if you are looking for Four Seasons or Ritz style luxury, Lanson Place may not be the answer, for those travelers who want to spend a bit less money on a lovely hotel, the Lanson Place is perfect!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Philip G
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

The hotel has all great services that one will expect for - convenient location, good ambience, great service, and reasonable price. The room is very spacious with a kitchen and living room that make me feel homey. When I get down to ask for an information service, the staff are knowledgable and eager to help you efficiently. If you like a small hotel with the right location and undemanding price, Lanson is the one.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Suwatss
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

This hotel was referred by my friend who lives in Hong Kong, it is located in a quite corner at Causeway bay area. The hotel makes me feel very private, there is no restaurants open to the public like most other hotels. There is comfortable lounge on the lobby floor, the hotel provides simple breakfast for the hotel guest. With the high ceiling, glass window, it makes the guest very comfortable and relax. On the other side of the lobby, there is a library with comfortable and stylish setting and business center. What makes me fell in love with hotel is the room. The room has ceiling to floor glass window, great natural lighting. What I love so much about it is that it makes me feel home. There is a small kitchen in the room, so I can fix some food if I like. Instead of a hotel, it also makes me feel like a service apartment. The location is very good, around the restaurants there is many restaurants. If traveler feel like to fix food of his/her own, there is kitchen fully equipped. CitySuper, the grocery super market is 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel (basement floor of SoGo).

I filled out the customer comment, 2 suggestions I made. To a female traveler, a good lighting in the bathroom is essential, however most of the hotels I stayed have poor lighting. Probably great interior design, but not so great lighting to assist ladies to put on good make up. I made the suggestion on the customer comment form, and I received a personal e-mail from the hotel manager on implementing the hotel amenity according to my suggestion.

I enjoyed the stay, and I will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo