“Not worth the stay, also scary that its close to cemetary.”

Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #136 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
GU
“Not worth the stay, also scary that its close to cemetary.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

I booked this hotel because I was looking for something decent, inexpensive and close to causewaybay. Considering I'm only staying one night.

PRO:
the price I paid was about 900HKD, which I thought was an okay price. The last time I stayed in HK I paid over 1500HKD a night, considering it was a nicer hotel (my friend said she could of found me a better hotel with a lower price, note: ask friends advise first)
Provide free shuttle to causeway bay and HK station.
Staff where very helpful, since I was staying only one night, I needed assistance looking for golf accessories. I am familiar with HK but I cannot speak cantonese well. I gave them a list of stores and specifications of what I needed. They did help me and I found what I was looking for.

Cons:
I read a review before booking the room that the rooms smells. ( I didn't pay much attention to that until I arrived in HK, my room did smell slightly like smoke)
Also if you are going to get a taxi/hotel transportation you would have to go to their sister hotel cosmopolitan 5 min walk.
I thought the actual promo price I reserved would be the same price. It was 10USD more when I paid my hotel bill.
I wondered why the windows where frosted and I had no view. At the side of the window it was not frosted so I peaked. If my window was clear I would have a view of the cemetery! That is one of the main reason i do not think I will stay here again.
I could not sleep and I left the lights on all night.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
CosmoHotel, Anita Chan, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
Thank you for your comments and appreciation to our hotel staff.

We always make sure that guest check in a clean and comfortable room, with your note, our housekeeping department was thoroughly briefed to ensure this will not occur again. Though shuttle bus service is not available on Cosmo Hotel’s doorstep, Cosmopolitan Hotel (where shuttle buses are parked) is only 2 buildings away from Cosmo, making access to shuttle bus services very conveniently available to guests within a mere 1 min walk.

Hotel offers 5 room categories which provide various views including a fabulous Causeway Bay City view according to guests’ preference.
Last but not least, the hotel will not charge any additional fee to guest. The additional amount could be due to a higher currency exchange rate imposed by a guest’s local bank. I hope your concerns are addressed. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

After staying at The Cosmo, it all made sense as to why this hotel would be sharing it's back wall with a Cemetery- a longer stay may just have you end up on the other side!

Our room was suffocatingly small, with tacky colors and lighting- A headboard made of orange patent leather, complemented with vinyl curtains was just retro gone wrong! The "classy indoor setting" was well matched with a view from our window of a decrepit dental hospital.

Of course if you want to escape this hell hole, you had far to run, since its strategically located near nothing - transportation or stores. But then again, since one usually would take any excuse to sprint from this hotel, it seemed to take less time reaching the central areas.

So trust us, this miserable hotel is NOT a deal at any price, even free - since you'll be paying for it in many other ways!

3 Thank Journeyman1971
CosmoHotel, Anita Chan, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, 9 November 2009
Thank you for your valuable comments. While frequently we receive comments complimenting our chic design and welcoming service, we are regretful that Cosmo's design does not live up to your expectation. We understand that personal perference varies and that is why apart from the boutique design our hotel is well-known for, we also offer room color choices ranging from bright orange, modo green to pastel yellow for guest to choose from. In regards to room size, we offer five room categories offering compact yet functional to luxuriously spacious options where the later measures up to 900 sq. ft. / 83 sq. m. Location-wise, Cosmo is situated in between downtown Causeway Bay and Wan Chai, allowing you to reach the most vibrant shopping district and the night life spots of Hong Kong within minutes. Alternatively, you may make use of our free scheduled shuttle bus to discover the other districts of Hong Kong that are worth a visit.
Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Good friends of mine posted pics of their recent trip in HK earlier this year. The pictures of the hotel where they stayed at are what caught my attention. It seemed like their room was cozy, clean, and well-designed. You wouldn't even notice the size of the room. I asked them where it was and they said it was their favorite hotel and have stayed there a couple of times already. Now, when I go to HK, I usually stay at the Kowloon side. I know you other tourists/travelers out there understand why. So for my 3rd time this year going to HK, I decided to try this hotel - Cosmo. It's a 15 minute walk from Causeway Bay MTR Station and 10 minutes away from the Peak Tram and Ocean Park via taxi. It's my girlfriend's first time out of the country and in HK so I wanted to make it memorable for her. Cosmo did a great job helping me do it. From the booking preparations, down to the hotel-airport transfer, 5-star accommodation indeed! Clean room. And I mean CLEAN. Good breakfast buffet. (Though i can't say its the best, but it hits the spot!) The staff were awesome to say the least. Very professional and accommodating. The marketing trainee i emailed with during my booking, the front desk staff, the little lady who does housekeeping every morning, the concierge, and most of all the bartender. 2 thumbs up to you all! Will definitely stay there again in our next visit. And, like my friends who recommended Cosmo to me, I invite you all to visit Cosmo Hotel and experience what they have to offer. Who knows, it might be you who would be writing a blog like this in the near future! Cheers!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikC24
Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

2007 was our second consecutive year visiting Hong Kong. We also enjoyed Cosmo that much we also booked for the second time. Situated next door to the Happy Valley race course, Cosmo is a nice clean, cool and modern hotel. Staff were very helpful and approachable. The rooms were modern and inviting with various colour schemes to chose from, whichever took your mood.
From this hotel you can take a nice lengthy walk to most parts of Hong Kong island or a cheap taxi drive away from pretty much anywhere. The one and only negative I have is that the first time we went it was raining one day and as their breakfast serving area is on a terraced outside, breakfast had to be served at their sister hotel, two doors down.
Overlall, 9/10 and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank haslamkk
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

For the price you pay, it's worth it.

The rooms were always clean, the staff were very helpful and and a good bar with English Premiership matches - GET IN...if you're just using your room as a sleeping haven as we were, then this is the place - it's clean and hygenic so what more do you want??? You get way you pay for! Rooms are small - my only negative thing to say however and breakfast wasn't included in the price and this costs about 100HKD - about 8 GBP which is pretty expensive for brekkie considering Kellogs Cornflakes lasts you for a couple of weeks and a loaf of bread costs about £1.20 post credit crunch days - we gave brekkie a miss and went to an over priced multi-national American Coffee company instead and indulged in fat clad coffee and muffins/scones/toasties.

Location was good - Wan Chai's shops are over the road pass the hospital and you're on Henessey Road which if followed leads you to Causeway bay (go right) - good shopping and restaurants in this area and a good buzz - HK has soooo many shopping malls, it's unbelievable. Causeway Bay takes about 10 mins to walk and visit Times Square.

There is a bus stop, literally outside the hotel - Bus 6X for the Central station/Central area/Star Ferry service - it's a good bus to remember - costs 3.40 HKD! Central has nicer shops and also the Central ferry station - you can get to Lantau (to see the Big Buddha [from port 6] and it's a lovely island - costs about 13 HKD ONE WAY - don't think you can buy returns - 13HKD is about £1.10 - this takes 40 odd minutes so perhaps buy the deluxe ferry which costs 25 HKD - this takes 15-20 mins. Seeing the Big Buddha is cool - taking the bus to the top costs 17 HKD one way, again you can't buy returns and this takes about 40minutes to the peak - DEF worth seeing as you have sky rides with glass flooring but they weren't working when we went - DAMN IT!!!

Kowloon City is another cool area (from port 6 of Central Ferry Service to Tsim Sha Tsui) - takes about 10mins and costs about 3.40HKD. Visit Harbour City which is just a phenomenal mall. Visit Nathan Road which has shops but a more market feel. Restaurants are scattered everywhere and Kowloon Park is worth a wonder if you have 20mins to spare.

Also, from the hotel you can take the tram - a tram station is 100m down the hill towards the Race course and this takes you to Causeway bay. Trams cost 2HKD but you NEED the EXACT change so always have change on you! Alternatively, take the tram from Henessey Road to either central or Causeway bay!

We used the taxi twice but always skeptical of using taxis as tourists in other countries as they just take you around upping the meter payment and indeed our second use of a taxi, this happened - should have cost 18HKD but he charged 30 HKD because he decided on going up and down highways unnecessarily - it really isn't much but this exploitation of tourists by taxi people is a disgrace and we had a fitting argument of which I had Cantonese hurled at me and he probably didn't understand any of my English anyway - Happy Days.

I would go on about the Peak but it's such a cliche but a MUST if you visit Hong Kong. Take a tram and walk up to the peak station - nice walk!

HK is truly amazing and back to the hotel - stay here and you won't be disappointed. If you want luxury, stay near Central instead of Wan Chai. Like I said, you get what you pay for and I just want to say the staff were really, really, really helpful and nice.

I love HK - I have the t-shirt. wooo hooo.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Saiful07
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

The location of the hotel is very nice. In 5 minutes you are in the main street where you can grab a taxi or the tram. The rooms are not so big, but confortable, clean and trendy! Great price/quality relationship.

1 Thank Alvi_leite
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

I was expecting quite a lot from this hotel since it is rated as four star, although in reality I would class it as a nice three star hotel. The hotel is very new, and the reception is spangly although small. It feels like the hotel was designed with younger people in mind.

The room was fairly small but acceptable, and the bathroom was nice and clean. If you want a non-smoking room remember to request this when you check in, as the smoking rooms do not smell good! The hotels at the front overlook the street, but the ones at the back of the block overlook..... a cemetary. This didn't bother me immensely as we only came back the hotel to sleep.

Good features include the computer in reception with internet (free to use), free wifi in certain areas and the communal lounge area on level 5 with free tea, coffee and wifi. Another useful feature is the free shuttle bus which runs from the neighbouring Cosmopolitan Hotel to Times Square (although this is easily walkable) and more usefully to Central Station.

I liked the location, it has a real buzz (especially at night) and a good atmosphere - not nearly as expensive as Central and cleaner than Kowloon. There are many cheap cafes and restaurants in nearby Times Square serving delicious food. Don't waste money on the hotel breakfast - take a morning walk to a cheap-and-tasty cafe around Causeway Bay station (try Sugar Street or Jardine's Bazaar) and enjoy some HK-Style french toast and iced milk-tea.

I found staff were helpful when asked questions, and the place was kept immaculately clean.

We got a good rate at the Hotel Cosmo - about £50 per night for a double room - this was a special offer, and I wouldn't want to pay much more, as to me it seems more like a three star joint. However, some three star hotels in HK will have a gym and even a rooftop pool, and I found I missed having these, and really I would expect this from a "four star" hotel.

1 Thank zcfta