“Beautiful rooms, perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lan Kwai Fong Hotel

Lan Kwai Fong Hotel
Ranked #104 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Beautiful rooms, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is situated in a perfect location. It is a short walk to the bridge to watch the laser show at night (8 pm) and a very short walk in the opposite direction to the western style bars en restaurants. The rooms are very small, but beautiful decorated and you do not miss anything. Shower is really good! The rooms are quiet at night. I will definitely return to this hotel next time I visit Hong Kong!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Good hotel in a great location for bars, restaurants and sightseeing. Only a few minutes walk from the entertainment district of Lan Kwai Fong and also close to the Metro, Star Ferry and Peak Tram..The rooms are small, as you would expect in a boutique hotel, but very well set out and beautifully decorated.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Harbour View room for amazing views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Perfect location if you wish to be in the central district with only a short walk to many bars and restaurants plus the main shopping area is also only a short walk. The staff were friendly and helpful.
We were flying from JFK to Hong Kong and arrived at 4.30am so were at the hotel by 7.30am. We emailed the hotel the day before to advise this and request as earlier checkin as possible. When we arrived the room was ready which was amazing and a testament to the staff's helpfulness. Having a shower at that time after travelling for 24 hours straight was just great.
Would stay here next time we return to Hong Kong.
The rooms are small but very clean, however you are in Hong Kong so space is limited everywhere. If you want a large room, you'll need to pay for it. We found our room overlooking the harbour perfect and beautiful, even though small, no issues for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Having stayed here for 2 nights, I do not recognise the hotel mentioned in some of the most critical reviews on Trip Advisor. We checked out the location before we travelled and concluded that the Airport Express and a taxi from HK Station was the best option. The reception area is very small but the hotel occupies very little ground space and is a tall narrow building. The reception staff were helpful at all times and delivered our luggage to our room. As for comfort and condition, perhaps we just had a better one. We were on the 26th floor in a twin air conditioned room with a city view but we could still see the harbour between the other tower blocks. The room was a little on the small side but very comfortable nevertheless. The bathroom was compact and the door was somewhat quaint but the shower and other facilities were fine. As well as bottled water, there was a complimentary bottle of red wine waiting for us but, sadly, we did not get to drink it! However, we did eat some of the complimentary fruit. The breakfast rooms (there were two of them adjacent to each other) were more than adequate and the buffet was quite varied. There were two staff on duty throughout breakfast and they were very attentive and helpful. We had no problems getting taxis at the front door of the hotel and in fact the reception staff went out in the rain to get one for us. Overall, we felt that this was a very good and well located hotel for the money and we would be happy to stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DinnerLadies
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I am by no means a newbie to travelling to Hong Kong, it is a city that I love, its vibrant, and the people are friendly and generally helpful. Not so much in this hotel, their website really does oversell the place.

I checked into the lobby which was a little more like a security desk at a small office, all seems ok- Ive seen smaller lobby's then I get to the room on the 14th floor and nearly fell over myself as I walked in the door to find a room smaller that a 3* hotel in Paris with an equally smaller bathroom - it really wasn't a bathroom, more of a closet behind two cupboard doors and contained a grubby sink, a bath tub and overhead shower so small I nicknamed it the "Shub" and the tiled with a very dated and stained glass tile. If you think its a bath tub - its not - not even for a local - the bottom was 2.5 foot long - I tried it and couldn't even sit down. The towels were frayed and old and had no particular moisture holding capacity. The room itself had a free standing wardrobe with a safe and two robes (the only reason I rated this hotel poor and not terrible) and a desk beside it, both looked like they were purchased from a second hand store in the 70's and the window had a long window seat which took about 20% of the floor space and was completely useless.

The hotel has a gym with 2 treadmills and a couple of other items, the "Guest Lounge" called Breeze, was in fact an open area on the 6th floor that could have been nice - but it had no bar, no staff on hand and the WIFI was non-operational (I tried with two devices), it had a TV and a coffee machine, which was useful because I took some teabags to my room to replace the ones that hadn't been replaced from the day before. Sadly there was no beer to refill my minibar that wasn't replenished either.

The reception at first seemed helpful, for example they were very helpful when my key stopped working and they spend ALL EVENING trying to sort it whilst I went out. When I checked out and asked for a Taxi I was told to "walk down the street and hail one it would be easier" - EASIER? EASIER? Easier for who? Them! Not me that's for sure! It took 10 minutes and wasn't pleasant.

The location is not LKF - if you are expecting this hotel to be in Lan Kwai Fong - you'll be disappointed it's quite a walk from LKF and in 32% heat with 90% humidity 1000m is a long way, its Kan U Fong, it's not NEAR the MTR, its 4 streets UP from the MTR and it isn't the sort of walk you would want to try with a heavy suitcase.

In terms of transfer from the AIRPORT the only real option you have is to use the Airport Express to HK station and then get a cab to the HOTEL - the cab will cost between $HK22 and $HK35 depending on the taxi driver - but basically its a few dollars/pounds and worth saving yourself the walk up the hill from Sheung Wan MTR.

All in all - it wasn't so bad that I checked straight back out again, but it was close - I checked out other hotels nearby to move to, but in balance decided it wasn't worth it as I was a lone traveller only staying for 2 nights and I would mark it down to experience. If I had been with my wife, I wouldn't have stayed.

Be warned - there are better hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank skiveatwork
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

LAN Kwai Fong hotel Hong Kong room 2501

Our flight from Paris to HK was cancelled and arrived a day late and at 4 am. The hotel kept our reservation which was nice.

The room was a little small but not as small as some of the rooms I have had in Paris. Air conditioning is essential and it worked well and was relatively quiet too. The room was clean and well equipped with everything you would expect and free wifi was on offer. Well located hotel. The water did not drain well from the hand basin.

There is a really small reception. I asked for a late checkout and they said I could stay till two and that was good.

Staff were friendly and willing to help. They flagged a cab for us and placed our bags in the cab.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HAE4567
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,020 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The lobby is non-existent, the elevators are slow, the rooms are tiny even by HK standards, the water pressure was very good, the bed was comfortable and the wi fi worked well.

Although a nice touch, I am not sure the free phone in the room that you could use and also take out with you to use as a GPS was worth much since most folks travel with their own smartphone. But, it was a good thought on their part.

The dim sum place right out the front door and across the street was wonderful. It is a local dive but has so much atmosphere and the food was very good. I really enjoyed that.

Being able to walk up three or four streets to Hollywood and enjoy all bars and restaurants was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple