“Short layover between flights.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Citygate Hong Kong

Novotel Citygate Hong Kong
Ranked #53 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Villa Park, United States
“Short layover between flights.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel between flights. It is located about 10 to 15 minutes from the airport, so is very convenient. They have a courtesy bus service every 30 minutes to the airport.
The room was very comfortable and quiet. Good blackout curtains. We received a complimentary drink upon arrival, but did not use the restaurant as it was closed.
The price $468/night was in my opinion a little steep, but it was the end of Chinese New years and that could have accounted for it. I must have missed where to pick up the courtesy shuttle at the airport on the reservation sheet, but a short taxi ride was fine.

Room Tip: If you have an overnight stay between flights and time is of the essence, seriously consider this ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I was in Room 833 with my partner. We love the spacious room it had to offer. And is the biggest room we had ever stayed in Hong Kong.
The bed is cosy.

However, the toilet is rather small for such a big room.
The problem I had is the lighting design, as I had to keep toggling the switch to get the required light for the room.

Overall, I love it. Great location. Great for couples.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Isaiah Jimmy J
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stay with Accor group quite often but I never had such obnoxious experience, this just makes me feel the whole group is going down, completely ruin my impression to this group. Firstly, I have to say I admire the spacious room size with fully equipped toiletries, also the cleanliness of the room are also appreciated.

However, the services from reception was absolutely disgusting! I have been waited 25 mins to check-in because of the long queue with large group of airline crews, funny that only 2 receptionists were serving while lots of staff walked in and out from the back office and loads of computer vacant. When it's my turn, the receptionist did not wear any smile which I could pretty understand that must be because of the heavy workload, so I couldn't care less as long as I can get a room to rest. But I was told that my room haven't been ready (it was almost 5pm!!) and I have to come back later, my heart sunk as I was exhausted after a long day. Ok… I know it's nothing to do with the receptionist in this case, then I asked her when will the room be ready, 'this is hard to tell, you have to wait', this is the exact word from her, I almost couldn't helped myself not to lose my mind, I told her if you want me to wait, at least you have to give me an estimated time, can't you call housekeeping to confirm with the time? At the meantime, a senior-look lady came out from the back office, I was hoping she might able to help which I was totally wrong to put any hope on her. I asked her to call housekeeping to get a time, she acted obliviously and didn't even try to phone, saying this is their policy. And then she waved her hand, signalled the next guest to come to the desk while I was still physically standing in front of her with all my bulky luggages, none even offer to store my luggages. What? anger and frustration rife with my head, heart sunk to new low, asking myself why should I pay £230 a night for such a nasty services hotel.

I finally got into my room at 7pm and all I want to do was to take a good bath and go to bed. Misfortune does not come single, there's no hot water in the shower. I called reception, obviously none pick up after 10 attempts.

On the second day, I walked pass the reception, it was crowded with the reception queue and only 2 staff as yesterday. I wish to get a city map but concierge was nowhere to be seen, it left me no choice to go to reception. I've waited 15mins, and it was that senior-look lady again, she fetched me the map neither no smile nor thank you nor eye contact (which I didn't expect any manner from her since the rudeness I've seen from her yesterday), I asked her what's the best way to go to Tsim Sha Tsui, she popped up a word 'taxi' reluctantly. I realised she is the reception manager from her name tag, what a 'professional' staff! When I came back at night, I've overheard she was arguing with a mainland China guest about something whatsoever.

I understand this is not a 5-star hotel, but the service they provide are even worse than a hostel frankly! Severe lack of staff in reception, insufficient knowledge by staff, very rude and abrupt attitude are the crucial points that I would never stay this hotel again.

Very upset business traveller

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Natasha K L
NovotelCitygate, General Manager at Novotel Citygate Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Natasha K L

Thank you very much for sharing with me your recent stay at Novotel Citygate. Whilst I am most disturbed and disappointed at learning of your dreadful experience with our Front Office team, it is only through garnering feedback such as yours that we are honestly able to make necessary improvements in areas where we are falling short. So I would sincerely like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback.

On a side note, I am very happy to learn that you were impressed and content with the hotel’s hardware, room and overall facilities.

Unfortunately being a hotel located close to the airport and accommodating guests arriving throughout the day, I can honestly tell you that we do not have a standard “busy” time for check in or out and this fluctuates daily. Staffing the front desk to ensure waiting time is limited for arriving or departing guests is therefore challenging; but regardless of this as you have correctly stated, it was the lack of empathy and basic customer service that was not delivered and this is not acceptable.

I will certainly be following up with the Front Office Manager and the team to ensure improvements can be made and sincerely hope that you may give us the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Thank you again for your time and very valuable feedback.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Cullum
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Nice & clean with the most spacious room in novotel chain in Hong Kong. Front desk staff are very efficient & friendly. Buffet dinner in Essence was very disappointed when the food options were 'cheap' and reception staff failed to notify me by phone when there were empty tables for standby guests.

APPRECIATIONS
- Right next to Citygate shopping mall with outlets & supermarket
- Free transportation between airport & hotel
- Accessible by MTR to city center

DISAPPOINTMENTS
- Dinner buffet looked cheap & staff was unable to notify when table is available

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ricochau-hk
NovotelCitygate, General Manager at Novotel Citygate Hong Kong, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Robomanhk,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am pleased to learn you enjoyed so much about your stay in the hotel including taking advantage of the great location, the complimentary shuttle bus service on offer and also the service provided by the team.

I apologise for the shortfall in communicating restaurant availability in Essence during your stay by our team and am disappointed to learn that the buffet did not meet your expectation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and the restaurant in the near future.

Kind regards,

Nicholas Cullum
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Hotel is located 5 minutes drive from HK airport and adjacent to Citigate mall, Tung Chung MRT…Handy location to go around HK and stay near airport. Stayed for a week during my last business trip to HK. Staff were excellent, rooms were clean with all amenities and reasonably spacious rooms when compared to HK standards. My room was located facing the South China Sea on one sode and mountains on the other side. Suggest travelers to choose these rooms for great ambience.

Downside: Room service menu had very less options and not so great. Shuttle service from airport is subcontracted, so the service is below standard!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the South China Sea and mountains!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank concorde007
NovotelCitygate, Manager at Novotel Citygate Hong Kong, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Concorde007,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the great location of the hotel and found the staff and rooms to be excellent. The views from these rooms are great and I am glad you enjoyed the view during your stay.

Thank you for your feedback in terms of variety on the room service menu where the hotel offers a variety of Western and Asian dishes and I am sorry that this did not meet your expectations. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the shuttle bus service which we will discuss further with the provider in order to ensure they improve the service from what you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us when you are next in Hong Kong.

Kind regards,