“Hard to find something worse”
Review of Alisan Guest House

Alisan Guest House
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was recommended in the Lonely Planet guide. Hong Kong was our last destination after a month of travelling around the country and staying at many different hostels along China and I must say this was with out a doubt the worse place where I slept. The place was so dirty that they hadn't even changed the bed sheets in our room, the corridor smelled of fish, the pipes in the bathroom stinked and the bed was so short I didn't even fit.
In summery, extremely expensive for what you get.
In my opinion, staying in Kwoolong is worth the while if you avoid this kind of places.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank polo2222

Reviewed 29 January 2011

This is my 2nd time to stay at Alisan guesthouse and the two main draws are the location (right at causeway bay) and the helpfulness of the staff here. The rooms are tiny and very basic, but everything that you need if you are just sleeping in the rooms and touring during the day. They have free hot and cold water also which was nice for making tea in the morning. There is also a shared refrigerator and free internet use by the front desk. The bathrooms are asian style showers (meaning your whole bathroom is a shower stall!. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were very clean. Overall, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LEHH
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I have just stayed here for 4 weeks whilst I was on a work placement. The rooms are basic and if you expect any luxury you will be disappointed. However the rate is so cheap for HK Island, the location is unbeatable. Causeway Bay is great & its only 7 mins on the MTR from central. You can probably get cheaper if you go over to Kowloon & Chungking Mansions but I would not advise staying there unless there's a group of you- you will get hassled constantly to buy a 'rolex' or 'designer bag'!

The rooms are cleaned everyday and you get fresh towel- although I would advise bringing your own (they are washed but pretty old!) They clean the room anytime of day, one day I was in my room till 4pm and they still cleaned it after that (I've worked in hotels for a number of years and rarely they will clean your room if you stay in there till late!)

The service was fantastic, I got met at excelsior and shown where to go. Any questions I had were answered efficiently. I felt confident staying there as a solo traveller. Also the building itself is very safe- security guard and cameras, 2 doors to rooms, not that you really need it as HK is so safe but it's nice to know its all there!

They do not have a kitchen but there is a microwave + fridge. I found it difficult as I was there for 1 month, but if your there for a week or so just eat out anyway its soooooo cheap!

I loved HK and I hope to return later in the year, I will stay here again! In summary alisan guest house is excellent for the price, the location and service are unbeatable and the rooms although basic are perfectly adequate. Other points were that for a basic place often internet and hot water are a bit dodgy. I had no problems with either, there was always hot water and the internet worked the whole time I was there.

if anyone has any questions about Alisan or HK in general please message me I'll be happy to help.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank sammy_ali_10
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Extremely friendly and helpful staff! The room was incredible value for money, and the location is central to just about everything. Would recommend it to any travellers who don't want to waste money on hotels!!!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 16 November 2010

what i hate about this place:
- they don't change the bedsheets. i swear i smell the sweat and body odour of the previous occupant of the room before me.
- the bathroom is so dark and small it's like the perfect setting for a horror film. i had to resort to showering with the door open. there is only a single orange light bulb in the toilet.
- the previous few occupants must have also showered with the door open as there is mildew and mould outside of the toilet door.
- they extort money from desperately tired travellers who could not find accomodation elsewhere. the actual amount i paid upfront was more than what all the guidebooks suggested. and also more than the amount that was told to me when i called the place up beforehand.
- i am pretty sure you could get a much better (at least cleaner) place for the same amount of money.
- i actually saw the owner of the place writing reviews on travellers' websites for himself.
needless to say, it was all very misleading and deceiving.
- the staff were the least helpful. they turned a blind eye to all the baggage i was lugging around, without offering any help at all.
-the photos of the room they showed me were a far cry from the actual room. it's like, false advertising.

the only saving grace from this nightmarish experience:
- the location. it's situated near fashion walk. but then again the clothes and bags are pretty expensive at that area. the foods there are no good either - expensive and bland tasting.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ashleyishigh
Reviewed 16 November 2010

The service provided was immaculate. However, the toilet will flood after bathing so it is a concern to those who are particular for the bathroom. The electrical point in the room was loose so it pose an electrical hazard. The WiFi was intermittent as they are now going through renovations. Room was small though, as there are 3 of us staying in the room. Comfy on the whole, Security is good as there will always be someone by the desk to help us. Wilson and Isabel really provided great help and advice for us in our stay. Kudos to you guys!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jon1280
Reviewed 16 November 2010

we checked into this place as a last resort due to the high influx of business convention attneders in october annually in hongkong.
out of sheer recklessness, we dialled for the first suggestion on the guidebook and got to alisan, the receptionist is fluent in english and clearly conveyed for the location which we have to admit is pretty awesome,
however, when checking in the day prior, they refused to show us the room and offered only grainy pictures which looks fine all pixelised,
the nightmare kicked off the night we checked in,
first we saw this person in nightwear sitting infront of the shared computer on many different trip advising website writing reviews,
the guy who owns the place is inefficient and their system is all handwritten and messed up, small talks is a no no at 1am and we just wanted to get some rest.
it took us more than 20min to get to our room
the place is so filthy and crammy we had to stuff things under the bed to walk
bed sheets smelt of mildew and sweat
the aircon rattles like some tankers the whole night
tv hangs precariously on the wall directly on top of your feet.
theres no negotiation of late check out even though we checked in at 2am and the owner adviced us to clear the room by 10am
the whole place is managed by 1 single maid, as what we observed.
of the price we pay, we dont expect luxury, but at least some clean sheets.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple