“Compact but with everything you need”
Review of Alisan Guest House

Alisan Guest House
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Compact but with everything you need”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This is a great budget option for Hong Kong. The rooms are part of apartments in which there is a small kitchen area with a kettle, microwave and fridge. Although you won’t be cooking meals here it is perfect for breakfast or a snack. Everything was very clean and tidy and we found this to be a great location for exploring Hong Kong. It’s a short walk to MTR station, tram stop, supermarket, shops and restaurants. Best of all the owner of the guest house could not be more helpful and is happy to provide any information you need about the area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bozo_100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I came to Hong Kong on a Visa run for China. Tommy and Wilson were both very helpful in getting me sorted and on my way. They were very knowledgeable about the Visa Process which is so useful.

The rooms were small (this IS Hong Kong people) but clean and well looked after. If you want a big room in Hong Kong, you have to pay big money.

The location was great too.

Even the cleaners were very friendly.

I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2011

As we aere traveling on a budget it was not really easy to find accomodation in HK. Alisan is hard to find, as it is on the 5th floor of a residential bulding, but eventually we found the entrance. The owner is very very friendly and helpful, and so is the staff. They attended to all our needs although it was almost midnight.

The room was a bit too basic for the price and the bathroom is tiny - but we stayed only one night and we wanted to stay in that area as we were meeting friends there the next day.

If you stay there on the weekend, be prepared to step out into crazy shopping madness when you leave the hotel in the morning!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nadischka
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was recommended in the Lonely Planet guide. Hong Kong was our last destination after a month of travelling around the country and staying at many different hostels along China and I must say this was with out a doubt the worse place where I slept. The place was so dirty that they hadn't even changed the bed sheets in our room, the corridor smelled of fish, the pipes in the bathroom stinked and the bed was so short I didn't even fit.
In summery, extremely expensive for what you get.
In my opinion, staying in Kwoolong is worth the while if you avoid this kind of places.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank polo2222

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 January 2011

This is my 2nd time to stay at Alisan guesthouse and the two main draws are the location (right at causeway bay) and the helpfulness of the staff here. The rooms are tiny and very basic, but everything that you need if you are just sleeping in the rooms and touring during the day. They have free hot and cold water also which was nice for making tea in the morning. There is also a shared refrigerator and free internet use by the front desk. The bathrooms are asian style showers (meaning your whole bathroom is a shower stall!. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were very clean. Overall, I would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LEHH
Hampshire
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I have just stayed here for 4 weeks whilst I was on a work placement. The rooms are basic and if you expect any luxury you will be disappointed. However the rate is so cheap for HK Island, the location is unbeatable. Causeway Bay is great & its only 7 mins on the MTR from central. You can probably get cheaper if you go over to Kowloon & Chungking Mansions but I would not advise staying there unless there's a group of you- you will get hassled constantly to buy a 'rolex' or 'designer bag'!

The rooms are cleaned everyday and you get fresh towel- although I would advise bringing your own (they are washed but pretty old!) They clean the room anytime of day, one day I was in my room till 4pm and they still cleaned it after that (I've worked in hotels for a number of years and rarely they will clean your room if you stay in there till late!)

The service was fantastic, I got met at excelsior and shown where to go. Any questions I had were answered efficiently. I felt confident staying there as a solo traveller. Also the building itself is very safe- security guard and cameras, 2 doors to rooms, not that you really need it as HK is so safe but it's nice to know its all there!

They do not have a kitchen but there is a microwave + fridge. I found it difficult as I was there for 1 month, but if your there for a week or so just eat out anyway its soooooo cheap!

I loved HK and I hope to return later in the year, I will stay here again! In summary alisan guest house is excellent for the price, the location and service are unbeatable and the rooms although basic are perfectly adequate. Other points were that for a basic place often internet and hot water are a bit dodgy. I had no problems with either, there was always hot water and the internet worked the whole time I was there.

if anyone has any questions about Alisan or HK in general please message me I'll be happy to help.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank sammy_ali_10
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Extremely friendly and helpful staff! The room was incredible value for money, and the location is central to just about everything. Would recommend it to any travellers who don't want to waste money on hotels!!!

• Stayed November 2010