“Cheap; and you get what you paid for”

Bridal Tea House Hotel Yau Ma Tei
Ranked #290 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Start with the good; Very well located in the very local district of Kowloon side, right near the shopping and market streets, street food; The bed was comfortable (even though single and very narrow) and the shower was hot; I arrived at 9am and after a debate they did give me a room for no extra charge.
The bad: the smallest possible room, I had to sit on the bed to look in my suitcase; to get to the room, I had to cross two fire doors and walk through strange corridors, bathroom not really clean
The ugly: staff couldn't give a toss, I could hear the guy coughing next door like he was with me in my room, and needed ear plugs to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank rollingstoneSydParis

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Room was small but service is quite well. In our last day they charged us only for half day stay 12 noon to 6 PM instead of full day rate. Service was quite warm compared to other staff in other hotels we frequently encountered in HK. They charged us for 3-persons per room although the room is basically for 2 single bed only. They added a foldable bed which made impossible to move around because the folding bed occupied even the corner space. In the end we had to remove the extra bed.Shower, toilet bowl seat, electric kettle were damaged and not repaired. Hotel staff/cleaners were little bit noisy doing their hotel chores. Positive points: got mineral water when we arrived, near to MTR YauMaTei station, ladies market, night market, etc. I will stay again if I have no budget. Be prepare to wait for few minutes for 1 service elevator.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rio N
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The hotel has the smallest room & bathroom I've ever seen! Amazingly small. I've had mere nightmare everytime I think about it (esp the bathroom) when heading back to our room for the day.
Regardless though, it's located at the greatest location for anyone to experience street life of Hong Kong. This makes the rooms get booked fast at all times.
So, if you're small sized, then should be OK. Otherwise, if you're over 40 or Over 185cm, think carefully before booking.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Strategically located, very near to MRT station, walkable distance to Mongkok but rooms are very small, especially the bathroom! Water heater doesnt always work - the water is not consistently hot and this drives me crazy during winter!

Room Tip: Won't stay here again unless i'm on low budget
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Experience a truly hong kong experience by living in a match box sized room.!

Opening the door too fast would almost hit the hair drying which was nailed to the side of the door. We booked a double room and managing 2 big luggages and 2 small hand carry between 2 women was a challenge as the luggage space was under each of our beds. Yet the narrow space between the 2 beds meant that only 1 could walk and maneuver while sitting on the bed while the other had to stand outside the toilet.

That being said, it somehow manages to squeeze everything including a TV, a make up dresser shelf , kettle space, free coffee and tea, hair dryers and an attached bathroom in what looked like a 3 m x 4m room!

We liked that it was clean biggest plus of this place was the free wifi downstairs (but the dont provide you chairs!) and also the 2min walk to the MTR Yau Ma Tei..
cant complain at HKD 400+ / night!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank ezenho
Reviewed 25 August 2011

So I stayed in the YMT Bridal Tea House for 3 nights and it was what I expected! I wanted a simple room with a good shower and just a place to rest after a day out. There is nothing fancy about this place but it's fine for a lone traveler like myself. I'll try to order my observations by room.

The general space: it's really compact. If you expect lots of space to walk about, then try somewhere else more expensive! The room is literally 6 steps in length and 2 in width for me. But like I said it's what I expected in Hong Kong.

Bed: I got a double bed although I was alone. It was good. Sheets were changed and it felt clean overall. You can watch tv (3 channels!) from the bed with a remote. I liked that very much. The noise was manageable. Sometimes I could hear the people above me. But as for street noise it was fine.

Closet space: it's a shared space with a small night table area. I'm short so couldn't reach the hangers.. Even so it only holds about 6 hangers; 4 were provided. The desk space was sufficient to hold my toiletries but not large enough to use a computer. Consider using the two in the lobby instead.

Washroom: comes with shampoo and body wash inside the stand-up shower. Clean. Good temperature for the shower. Trust me, I've experienced issues with water being too cold or scalding elsewhere. This was good. The sink is small but again, what I expected from a Hong Kong hotel.

Location: literally 30 seconds from YMT station exit C. Loved that part since it's close to MONGKOK and TSIMSHATSUI. The hotel is in a backstreet so you may need to call beforehand.

I paid about $100 CAD per night cause I booked late. But if you book early, it's worth it. I would say it is more like a European hostel but without the communal showers and bunk beds. :) Don't expect luxury? Then this is a great choice.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank mintia12
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The room is extremely small with only 2 single bed and a toilet. A person taller than 165cm wouldn't fit on the bed. The cleanliness of the room acceptable but the building are aged. The air-condition of the room is not functioning well. Although the air-conditioning had a self remote control but it's actually controlled by the management. The air-conditioning will off automatically at the morning and you need to call the reception to on it back.

The only pro of the room is the location. It's well located at the middle where it's near to Mong Kok and Jordan. There are shopping area and restaurant nearby with walk-able distance.

The room is a bit too pricey compare to the facilities and environment of the hotel. However it's consider acceptable since it's located at the central of many attractions nearby. Furthermore, the service there is not good. Reception are not well trained to speak English and they charge for everything. I met few of the workers there are very impolite and rude.

Room Tip: Book the room only when there's promotion or discount.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family