“Budget-friendly hotel near HK Disneyland”

Rambler Garden Hotel
Ranked #460 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Marikina, Philippines
“Budget-friendly hotel near HK Disneyland”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

If you just want a place to stay while visiting places in HK like Ocean Park or Disneyland, then Rambler Garden Hotel is fine. Don't expect big rooms with a bath or mini-bar with ref; same thing with toilet amenities though the rooms come with towels. Asians are basically small people so if you're over 5'10", you may not like the length of the beds. TV set is old with limited English channels. Expect to be cramped inside the elevator, specially when you ride them with mainland Chinese people - personal space are not respected. Front desk service is OK - check in/out is fast and easy. Breakfast coupons are given and you claim them in the restaurant outside the hotel (ground floor). Stores (even 7-11) in the ground floor do not give bags when you buy stuff - either you bring your own shopping bag or you pay extra for them to include it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank sreine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Philippines
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Rambler Garden Hotel is just okay. We stayed there last November 2013 for our Anniversary. actually we were able to enjoy our HK trip, even had a side trip to Macau. But we could have enjoyed it more (probably) if we have booked to somewhere nearer the city. I mean, whenever we're going to do some sight seeing, we have to take a taxi and taxi is so expensive in HK. And we have experienced drivers who have anger management problems and annoying. Anyway, although they have bus services (with schedule) and I have nothing to say to their driver but is very accommodating, the bus is always so loaded as it is not exclusive to hotel guests. Plus, they only have 1 place in the basement where you can eat, mostly congee. It's far from restaurants, stalls, etc. elevators are also slow with lots of guests waiting in line all the time.

When we get back from Macau and rode a taxi, the driver is not even familiar with the hotel. and we're only familiar that it is in Xing Yi.

Plus, before leaving the hotel, the housekeeper, didn't tell us that my cellphone is still in there. I realized I am missing my phone when we were already at the airport about to check in. We even had breakfast for 1 hour and nobody even told us at the hotel :(. I had to rent a taxi which is 45minutes going back to hotel, and another 45 minutes to airport. It made us missed our flight :( what a hassle!!!!

Overall, I wouldn't want to spend much time on this hotel. Better book somewhere else next time. I don't want to even remember the hassle we experienced.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jm_honeiz15

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

After reading all the bad reviews i expected a gulag style prison camp but couldn t change anymore the booking. I dont know in what hotel those reviewers stayed but it is not true when they write internet or seating possibilities is not available or they felt stranded in the middle of nowhere. Okay the hotel only caters for the needs of mainland china tourist,okay they are noisy and move in groups of at least 8, and okay you cant walk to the next mtr station but it is not necessary to take a taxi,
How to arrive:
Take the airport express train to tsin yi station, first station after airport.
Get out at exit a1. Take the light line mini bus to rambler estate which leaves on the rambler crest island, 20 meters or yards from the hotel for 45 cents us. Was that so bad?
The room.
Appears to be a huge bed factory. As a matter of fact the hotel consists of 3 different hotel towers, the rambler oasis,the garden and the mexan,plus 2 residential towers.
Quite welll maintained and clean though.
I had a room in the 30th floor,last one. True,smelled so much of cigars i asked for another one,no problem. Helpful and courteous staff. By the way the staff at the reception (true they dont smile,but would you smile with millions of roaring and yelling guests a day,in a city,gray and mostly sad like hong kong?) speak english very well,better probably than some guys who reviewed this place. Unfortunately people rrom mainland china smoke everywhere and yes are quite noisy. But guys,be nice!,this is probably their first vacation in a lifetime. Sad enough,isnt it? Give them a break.
The room is small,indeed,it is hong kong. Pay 90 us for this or pay 700 us for the mandarin oriental. I saw worse places in kowloon and in paris for more money.on nathan road by the way this hotel would be at 250 us.ridiculous. And kowloon is as terrible at night as a container terminal:)
The housekeeping was itoiling efficiently and absolutely mpeccable.the sheets were new every day,the air ondition,carrier,brand new. Tv set old ,no led...strange ,thinking you get them so cheap now in china,okay. Not right there is only one channel in english.there were like 4 or five including the australia network and lotus macau who had nice movies at night (godfather etc).Old closet,teakettle,bathroom basic but very clean.shower only.soap etc from yhe hotel. Soap didnt melt,funny....but had my previous hilton soap:)
Shampoo from the dispenser. New bathrooms. Total room size like 2 ..20 x max 5 meters.my guests closet in beverly hills is bigger but okay.makes you appreciate more how one lives,right.
High cealing.i hope they ll never get the idea to put in a second level in those rooms hoho.
One chair and a nice sea view above the busy container port.. Not very romantic those machines but kind of surreal. I promise i will complain less in my future hilton stays;)
Internet in the rooms is extra but the connectio n in the lobby was pretty fast,even for facetime although it was very cold and the design not cozy at all.
Premises.
A shopping mini mall on level one. Seven 11 store, 2 other supermarkets with strange products for mainlanders (do they all just eat ramen and dried squid?.) and a coffee shopm,cafe coral whiich seemed nice although i had no time to try it.. Not so bad and armageddon-like they described it in tripadvisor.
I just stayed 3 days.it is bearable.not my hilton chain but 550 us a night compared to less than 90? Decision was clear,right?
You just can walk over the short bridge from rambler crest to take double decker bus 43 to see a little bit of the surroundings.. Remember you either need the octopus card(aurport!) or the exact fare with always consist of annoyimg penny amounts like 9.30 etc and no one has them....so load a card,far better.
Resuming, good option if you dont want to destroy money. I am hilton diamonds member,pretty much used to 5 star hotels,but in a city where they charge like 4x more than anywhere else,just be wise and spend your buck on different things. And three days in a so so place dont kill you.
This hotel was clean,staff was helpfull and bus connections always working with minimal waiting time.from tsing yi station you have acces to hongkong central station,the ferries and kowloon.. I prefer luxury but like my money more,so this is a solid hong kong 3 stars,even a french 4 stars(room size) so no need to pay more. I was actually pleased about this hotel,indeed.Have fun in hong kong.merry christmas:)

Room Tip: Avoid Hong Kong at all or just destroy your money. No value for money to be found in that ccity. I h...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank adrianmiami
Baguio, Philippines
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel when we we had our Hong Kong trip. Relatively, small rooms and their beddings smells terrible.(smells like a cigarette). I also asked another colleague we knew and they had the same comment as well. They still use CRT Televisions. It features a garden at the top, where you can take some pictures & there is also a playpen. Swimming pool is available also. Not so much about the view because you will only see a lot of freight containers from your window. You have to pay for an Internet access (WIFI) for 10HK $ per hour. In the basement area, there is a Watsons store, a restaurant-Cafe de Coral and 7 Eleven.You need to pay for 50 cents for the plastic bags for your take outs. Overall the Hotel is OKAY? if you're in a tight budget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BaguioBaby
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

On the first night returned from dinner unable to use key card to open the door. Tried more than 10 times swiping the key card still appeared red light. Went to counter and report, given a new key card at the same time heard staff paging his colleague to assist me. Went back to room both key cards also can't access, waited 15 minutes still no one here, went to counter again seeing the messiness of staff handling a group of visitors checking in also see two beautiful ladies complaining loudly to the staff re their unsatisfaction of their room. When I told staff 2nd time of my problem, they page the staff to assist again, went back to my room saw neighbor also having same problem, after we both tried swiping more than 20 times we finally get to enter our rooms. But the hotel staff suppose to come assist never show!!!

On the 2nd night I have to swipe 2 times to get in.... What will happen to my 3rd night tomorrow? Crossing my fingers.

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Geraldine Y
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Me and my mom stayed here for 4days and 3night last november 2012. The location was terrible. It was very far from the city center. The rooms were very small you cant barely move. Their lift was very small only few people can go in. And worst it always has looooonnnnggg liiiineesss as if it will never end. Me and my mom we never wanted to go outside because we dont want to wait and fall in line together with those chinese people who keeps on yelling at each other.(our tour guide told us that those were from the provinces of china) no offense to the chinese people. When you look outside of your windows All you can see are container vans. The people staying here are mostly from mainland china, who were very very rude people, there was a time when we were at the elevator and the rest were chinese and they were talking so loud, they were shouting and fighting at each other omg!!!! Even in the middle if the night you could here those people yelling outside of your room we couldnt sleep because of their noise. The food was ok, but the server at the cafe was rude also. But we met a family also from chinese origin they were different from those who came from mainland china.those chinese we met were very friendly and even sat with us to chat. Anyways if ever i would go back to hongkong for a vacation i will never ever go back at this hotel which is rambler garden. So those who will be having their vacation in hongkong dont ever book this hotel. Look for a better budget hotel and is in the city center.

• Stayed November 2012
9 Thank Starstudded27
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel is located 2-3 kms from the metro but is a good value for money for the amenities provided at the property. Free shuttle between metro and the hotel (with prior appointment) is an advantage. There is a bus available in front of the hotel property which shuttles guests from the hotel to the metro at a nominal fee (1 HK dollar). Swimming pool is the USP of the property and spans across 5 blocks of the hotel. Free internet is available in the lobby area. We had linguistic problems with the front desk as they were not able to understand English. Otherwise a nice hotel for budget travelers.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family