“Nice rooms, location ok”
Review of Royal View Hotel

Royal View Hotel
Ranked #107 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I only stayed 2 days at this hotel before heading back to the USA, and chose it because of its location away from the madness of Hong Kong and proximity to the airport. Plus the prices seemed reasonable and I wanted a quieter location.

I chose a room package which was to include discounts off spa, food and other amenities. Plus I was under the impression that the hotel offered airport transfers. I since found out prior to arrival that airport transfers were not included, and they recommended only a taxi or public bus, or very expensive limo service. When I arrived at the airport I took a taxi to the hotel...but it wasn't until I arrived that I found out about an additional charge with the taxi that was not included with the stated meter rate...needless to say this resulted in a little tiff with the taxi driver and I was told by the porter that was rather common...nice.

...For transportation / airport transfers, I recommend instead using Trans-Island Limousine Service Limited which you can find on the Hong Kong airport (HKG) web site, I hired one of their private town cars from the hotel back to the airport and its well worth the money. Forget the taxis!

My room was a "deluxe sea view" room in which I had a limited view of the sea and by the way, the hotel is located right under the Tsuen Wan bridge. The room itself was spacious with a kitchenette and comfy bed and nice rainforest shower. Overall the amenities were quite nice within the room, but they charge for bottled water in the fridge so be aware if you take any water or soda from the in-room fridge! The carpet also could have used a good cleaning.

The service could be improved: their free hotel shuttle goes to the MTR station which is convenient and runs every 30 minutes, however there is no sign at the MTR so pay attention to where they drop you off because it was hard to find where the shuttle bus picked up on the way back!

Also pay attention to being overcharged: I did not receive the food discount that I was supposed to because they said the package did not include the lunch buffet I had (which was not clearly indicated in the package), plus they tried to charge me for the "complimentary" high tea service. I had a spa treatment which was quite nice, but again at Check Out I had to point out that they hadn't offered the discount from the package. Also the hotel is more for Chinese tourists than Western tourists and is a bit out of the way of everything all things considered...and it was further away from the airport than the 20 minutes they indicate on their web site and not that quiet.

Overall the hotel itself was decent but the staff is young and does not seem to know the answers to many basic questions. They are nice enough, however pay attention to your hotel charges and especially any package amenities that should be included.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ling1674

Reviewed 21 February 2011

A new hotel but totally out of the city and no real transport except taking cab service. There is no shuttle buses to the airport and vice versa, so ended up taking the Airport Express to Tsing Yi and cab service. The main shopping, leisure and business places are miles away from the hotel. The free shuttle bus takes nearly two hours to get to Tsim Sha Tsui after stopping at various points in the city. Also, there is basically nothing in the vicinity of the hotel unless you intend to use the hotel room services. On the other hand, like I mentioned hotel is new, rooms are clean and does have a beautiful view from the rooms facing the sea. However, I would rate it average unless you intend to spend your time in the hotel itself and spend hours traveling to the main entertainment locations.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulSHongKong
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed here for the night whilst waiting for my collaegues arrive. Hotel is around 20mins from the airport in Tsuen Wan. It's about a $180HKD urban taxi (ride) away.

From what i know it is quite a long walk from the actual town & train station.

I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, the rooms werent that big, buy the view was amazing, overlooking the river. the whole suite was quite spacious, the beds were very big and comfortable

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank JenniferNgn
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Learned that my reservation to another hotel was not confirmed and stumbled on this hotel through TripAdvisor.com. Yes, it is a 20 minute taxi ride for 180 & 200 HKD, but far short of the 900 HKD quoted elsewhere. Front desk staff told me internet was additional, but when I showed them my pre-paid itinerary showing free internet, they took it off. I forgot to request non-smoking room and the room odor was noticeable and did impact sleep, but no fault of hotel. No noise from overhead bridge.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank facorsig
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel tduring our trip to HK for a very reasonable price. Rooms were clean, and in my opinion roomy by HK standard. It has all the amenities and the hotel staff were helpful and friendly during our stay. Free internet (included in our booking) was a big plus.

Location wise, we made use of the hotel shuttle to Tsuen Wan (convenient from Tsuen Wan to catch MTR to other places in HK) and mini bus 96M. It's a little bit inconvenient as the shuttle buses are not awfully frequent (one every half hour during some time of the day, and more frequent at other times) and there are also no shops around the hotel, but Tsuen Wan has everything that is needed, including plenty of good food, shops, laundry service and restaurants.

For the price and the quality of the rooms, highly recommended if you know your way around the MTR and Tsuen Wan!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alkanoate
Reviewed 30 December 2010

i was accommodated in this hotel as complimentary stay by Cathay
pacific airlines. First of all when we reached the hotel at about 10:00 A.M, on 23/12/2010, the clerk at desk told us room is not ready and we should wait till 11:30 A.M. When I protested strongly they alloted a room after nearly half an hour. Then the clerk asked me to give credit card for reference. I had only debit card and I gave it. Shockingly he charged HK $500. I told him he cannot make any charges as my stay was complimentary. Also my card was a debit card and the amount will be transfered immediately. The blank look on his face showed his dumbness on the subject. He assured me that when we vacate he will reverse the charges. But so far it has not happened. I have taken up with Cathay Pacific Airlines. So beware dont give any credit card or debit card to them.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Far away from establishments, shopping malls and MTRs.
You need to return back early at the pick-up point for you to catch the last trip of shuttle, unless you are willing to pay 900HKD for a cab. Having a second thought whether you go to the night market or enjoy the Victoria Peak at night?
Better think of the time you spend travelling from hotel going to the malls and other attractions in HK, then you will find out it will cost you an hour for a one way trip to the nearest decent shopping mall.
Poor Hotel Staff services