“Bad trip” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #116 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Bad trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Sorry to say that overall staff weren't friendly, from the time we checked in, concierge not available, and worst is their restaurant attendants. They don't speak english well and are not attentive. Our free breakfast which comes with the 3 day package was just 2 slices of bread, spoonful of beans and 4cute sausages. You are not allowed to get on the buffet table as the attendant said. This was same for 3days. If this is the idea of a group package, with poor choices (also our room wasn't equipped with free bottled water, no shampoo replenishment the next day like other hotels) then I wouldnt want to get any Holiday World tour packages anymore. You join group tours in order things will be in place for a memorable trip. And packages aren't that cheap either. In a nutshell, you feel belittled. The last day we didn't take our breakfast anymore, checked out earlier than usual and transferred to Sky City Mariott Hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PepStar88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

I have stayed with this hotel several times within the past 3 years, however this time really ruined the trip. Im sorry to say that the experience has made me decide never to stay at this hotel again, neither would I recommend it to any of my friends. This round I stayed for 4 nights at their Deluxe seaview room on the 19th Floor, attending a Trade business event with my mother.

Location is at Ting Kau, which has a spectacular view of the bridge and waters, depending on which side your room is located. However, do note that traveling is required to get to the hotel, shuttle bus service is available from the hotel to the Tsuen Wan MTR station, which requires approximately 20 minutes traveling time from there onwards to any shopping / entertainment districts. Rooms are large and spacious, the ameneties assure a pleasant stay. Majority of Hong Kong Hotels within the city are small compared to this, with exception to the 5 star hotels.

My trip was pleasant overall, only to be dissapointed greatly by a certain Security staff which caused me and my mother great upset and lateness for a meeting. To relate, I was travelling with my mother (aged near 60 - I won't disclose actual age, women don't like that :) We were first in queue for the shuttle bus. There was a Lady and a Bloke behind us, my mother has heart problems, and you will notice that the hotel has a strong stench of Laundry smells when you enter, i do not know if this is their idea of aroma or it really is laundry escaping the exhaust. Anyway, my mum felt discomfort while waiting in line, hence she went out for a breath of fresh air. I had to accompany her, being she is my mother and she has heart complications. We were waiting there for about 10 - 15 minutes. When the bus arrived, we were about to board the bus when a Mr. Alex who just came up to us out of no where and asked us where are we going, I replied Tsuen Wan MTR, and he asked us to go to the back of the queue. We politely explained to him that we were in the queue, and my mother's situation which was why we were waiting outside. He insisted not to let us board, he did not believe our side of the story, we asked him to question the guests behind us, however he never did so despite being invited by us repeatedly.

We were late for our meeting, and did not get to board the shuttle bus. A Mr Eric who was the Hotel Manager on duty came out - By then Mr Alex was no where to be seen, hiding somewhere i presume. My question to the Hotel is, why didn't Mr Alex question the other Hotel guests when we invited him to do so? Or is he afraid that the guests will defend us? I am very displeased with this Hotel for causing us such embarassment (He just shouted and argued with us in front of all the boarding guests as if we were criminals and did something terribly wrong!!!!) and discomfort not to mention inconveniance even as a guest of 4 nights at their hotel. After 20 minutes or so of non-productive chat with their Hotel Manager - which insisted that his staff was right. Mr Eric agreed to pay for the cab fare to the MTR station (suggested by him). I suggested for Mr Alex to apologize to us instead. But it never happened.

Is the Royal View Hotel too arrogant to humble themselves to apologize to their guests? I even requested that they play back the CCTV recording to prove us wrong, which they never even bothered to act upon!! I shall most definately bring this complaint to the highest authority rest assured. A hotel which did not respond correctly, made a mistake and now the price shall be paid.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel closer to your places of interest
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Matthew_at_KL
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

The hotel is not that far from the airport. If you take the airport express to tsing yi, interchange from lai king to tsuen wan, which is the last station. We had no trouble looking for Exit B3 which is where the shuttle stops. The shuttle service is always on time to and from and the hotel. The queue for the shuttle is near the foot of the stairs of Exit B3.

we had the deluxe room with the view of the pool. althought the room wasnt that big, it was clean, cozy and very comfortable. the bathroom is small but with modern fixtures.

the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly.

upon check in, they would ask for a $500 deposit. if you give your credit card, they would charge it right away but said that the charge will be reversed after 14 days upon check out.

since the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, i would suggest to grab something to eat or drink at tsuen wan station before heading back to the hotel. lots of stuff to buy at the station...they have mcdonalds, 7-11, beard papa, sushi station, pies, tarts and cakes, theres a grocery where you can buy fresh strawberries which i loved.

the breakfast buffet costs $70 dollars, the selection is very limited, i wanted bacon and scrambled eggs, but they only had ham and hard boiled eggs, fried rice, fried noodles, corn flakes, bran, vegetable salad, hash brown, french toast, dimsum.

you can have your US dollars exhanged at the rate of 7.3 which is not bad. exchange rate at the airport is only 7. but you can get 7.6 or 7.7 in mong kok or somewhere else.

there's a beach near the hotel too.

tsuen wan is not that far from disneyland, maybe half an hour by train more or less. but quite far if you're going to The Tram and Victoria peak but you only need to board the train once---from tsuen wan to central.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanjoboy
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

I only stayed 2 days at this hotel before heading back to the USA, and chose it because of its location away from the madness of Hong Kong and proximity to the airport. Plus the prices seemed reasonable and I wanted a quieter location.

I chose a room package which was to include discounts off spa, food and other amenities. Plus I was under the impression that the hotel offered airport transfers. I since found out prior to arrival that airport transfers were not included, and they recommended only a taxi or public bus, or very expensive limo service. When I arrived at the airport I took a taxi to the hotel...but it wasn't until I arrived that I found out about an additional charge with the taxi that was not included with the stated meter rate...needless to say this resulted in a little tiff with the taxi driver and I was told by the porter that was rather common...nice.

...For transportation / airport transfers, I recommend instead using Trans-Island Limousine Service Limited which you can find on the Hong Kong airport (HKG) web site, I hired one of their private town cars from the hotel back to the airport and its well worth the money. Forget the taxis!

My room was a "deluxe sea view" room in which I had a limited view of the sea and by the way, the hotel is located right under the Tsuen Wan bridge. The room itself was spacious with a kitchenette and comfy bed and nice rainforest shower. Overall the amenities were quite nice within the room, but they charge for bottled water in the fridge so be aware if you take any water or soda from the in-room fridge! The carpet also could have used a good cleaning.

The service could be improved: their free hotel shuttle goes to the MTR station which is convenient and runs every 30 minutes, however there is no sign at the MTR so pay attention to where they drop you off because it was hard to find where the shuttle bus picked up on the way back!

Also pay attention to being overcharged: I did not receive the food discount that I was supposed to because they said the package did not include the lunch buffet I had (which was not clearly indicated in the package), plus they tried to charge me for the "complimentary" high tea service. I had a spa treatment which was quite nice, but again at Check Out I had to point out that they hadn't offered the discount from the package. Also the hotel is more for Chinese tourists than Western tourists and is a bit out of the way of everything all things considered...and it was further away from the airport than the 20 minutes they indicate on their web site and not that quiet.

Overall the hotel itself was decent but the staff is young and does not seem to know the answers to many basic questions. They are nice enough, however pay attention to your hotel charges and especially any package amenities that should be included.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ling1674
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

A new hotel but totally out of the city and no real transport except taking cab service. There is no shuttle buses to the airport and vice versa, so ended up taking the Airport Express to Tsing Yi and cab service. The main shopping, leisure and business places are miles away from the hotel. The free shuttle bus takes nearly two hours to get to Tsim Sha Tsui after stopping at various points in the city. Also, there is basically nothing in the vicinity of the hotel unless you intend to use the hotel room services. On the other hand, like I mentioned hotel is new, rooms are clean and does have a beautiful view from the rooms facing the sea. However, I would rate it average unless you intend to spend your time in the hotel itself and spend hours traveling to the main entertainment locations.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulSHongKong
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed here for the night whilst waiting for my collaegues arrive. Hotel is around 20mins from the airport in Tsuen Wan. It's about a $180HKD urban taxi (ride) away.

From what i know it is quite a long walk from the actual town & train station.

I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, the rooms werent that big, buy the view was amazing, overlooking the river. the whole suite was quite spacious, the beds were very big and comfortable

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank JenniferNgn
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

Learned that my reservation to another hotel was not confirmed and stumbled on this hotel through TripAdvisor.com. Yes, it is a 20 minute taxi ride for 180 & 200 HKD, but far short of the 900 HKD quoted elsewhere. Front desk staff told me internet was additional, but when I showed them my pre-paid itinerary showing free internet, they took it off. I forgot to request non-smoking room and the room odor was noticeable and did impact sleep, but no fault of hotel. No noise from overhead bridge.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo