“No manners”
Review of Sun Kong Hostel

Sun Kong Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
Sun Kong Hostel
Ranked #100 of 157 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Makati City
“No manners”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The receptionist in a hostel should be polite and not shout at customers. She should not make customers leave the hostel even though there is someone who will pay at a higher price. The hostel receptionist is greedy in money. SunKong Hostel is not advisable for people who wants to travel and stay in a hostel!

Room Tip: This hostel has a very terrible service!!! Not advisable!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Singapore
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Knowing the fact that most accommodations in Hong Kong is small in space, am pretty satisfy with my stay in Sun Kong hostel. Though is nothing compare to those fancy hotels out there, but it pretty much meet my needs in terms of location, easy access to other destinations, and safe.
It is located just next to the famous Causeway Bay train station and in the heart of shopping district i.e. Causeway Bay. The room i booked comes with a private bathroom, which is really clean, but for the ladies, you might want to check the toilet window is close before you start using. Land is precious in HK, therefore you might felt building next to you is kinda close, and I'm sure people from opposite able to see into the room if you leave the window open.
Overall, I would recommend this to any traveller who is not too particular about structure and amenities of the accommodations.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I agree with 'jacthegril' --- I was there when you were about to check in. I left some package for my 12 friends who stayed there (I booked SK guesthouse for them), 'was abt to ask abt the booking but the receptionist might get/angry and shout (that's her strategy).

I paid the $2,300 reservation fee for 3 double rooms and 2 triple rooms for my friends' stay last Aug18-21. My friends arrived at 2am, and they were told only 4 rooms are available. They tried to show the reservation form that was sent by a certain 'Niki' but the receptionist refused to look at it, saying she didnt know abt that form etc... They ended up in 4 rooms instead of 5 rooms. Charged higher than what was in WEBSITE and what was agreed.. initially the triple room was $500 in the website but for reservation I paid $520 then upon checkin, the remaining nights - triple room was $600. I kept all the emails we exchanged because Im gonna report this to HADLA (the licensing authority), guesthouses shouldn't deceive people!

They reply so fast, ask for reservation and send you a booking form with the rooms you asked BUT when you arrive, do not assume that they will honor the booking. They will shout at you and ask you to leave the hotel -- that's their strategy to shut you up. Since all rooms are booked around Wanchai and Causeway Bay, you will have no choice to but stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank YojArenas

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I am currently waiting in the lobby, after being told one price on the phone, seeing another price on the internet, then hurried into paying more for the room. I asked to see the room before paying as it was more expensive then first told. I was told no, passed to the owner on the phone when she proceeded to lie, and hang up on me. I then said I would only pay for one night, and wait for my friends to arrive and we could discuss. She said she was very busy and that she needed the money then.

This place is horrendous. I haven't even looked at the room and I would love to leave expect everywhere is booked up. I am sure some people might have other standards but I would avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jacthegirl
Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This is maybe 1 point better than Chunking Mansions, but the rooms are way too small and the property is old and not kept in good condition. The hostel owner is unpolite and in a hurry to get your money. The location though is pretty good, next to the metro station and nearby lots of restaurants and 24h shops.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BobbyNL
isle of wight
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Horrendous. Arrived first night to find no one there. Eventually one of the other 'inmates' managed to track down the proprietor who was incredibly bad tempered. So, with confirmation email in hand we asked to be shown to our room, but were told there was no room for me and my sister, despite having booked way in advance and paid a 400HKD deposit AND emailing the previous day to confirm our arrival. After about 20 minutes of stroppy discussion she phoned her friends and managed to find a room at another hostel across the street. She tried to get us to pay an extra 400HKD to stay at the other place. We did not!! So we traipsed down there and stayed the night. It was lovely, clean and modern and the lady was lovely (Causeway Bay Mansion, floor 2, stay here!!) So we lugged our suitcase around for our second day, and in the afternoon phoned Sun Kong to check if our room was available for the 2nd night. She hung up on me. Didn't bode well. Arrived night 2 to go through the same malarky. Eventually she told us to go away for an hour and she would clean a room for us. Obediently we did so. On our return some other poor lady showed us to a room on the next floor. (Incidentally a big sign on the door to the building states very clearly that it is illegal for properties above floor 2 to be used as hostels, guests stay at their own risk. Sun Kong is floor 5 and 6. hmmmm) Well, our room was dark, prison like and tiny. So tiny, infact, that instead of 2 single beds, there was one single bed and another bed which had had a sizeable portion of if sawed off and the remainder screwed onto the wall to keep it upright. Nice. It was not a good place to stay and i would seriously warn people not to stay there. Customer service was appalling and it was not cheap enough to excuse the horrible room and unpleasant overall experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank biggyshackleton
Wuhan, China
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I booked to stay here in September for three nights although I left after two because it was so bad. First, when we got there the reception lady spoke no English but we got by on very bad Chinese. Next, we were told to go a different floor to an apartment which is where our room was. I then learned from her that the toilets in the hostel did not work and we should not use them. This made the ensuite we paid extra for a bit pointless but of course there was no discount. The whole place also reeked of smoke.

On the second night in the filthy room we returned to find a note on our door asking us to call a number. I went down to ask the reception lady who just said she didn't understand and went to bed. I phoned the number and the owner answered telling me to move to a smaller room because another guest wanted my room. I refused and she got angry complaining that the other guest was being very loud and demanding the room!

We left the hostel the next day. Hong Kong has so many good hostels why ruin your trip to this great city by staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple