“Good room, not so good location.”
Review of JJ Hotel

JJ Hotel
Ranked #134 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Arrived at JJ Hotel last Oct. 5. Took us a few people to ask before we finally located this hotel from the A11 Bus from the airport. I guessed it would have been easier if we arrived via MTR Airport Express from the airport. In the event that you get lost, ask somebody from other "boutique" hotels which are everywhere in this place, not from someone in the street. Even guys at nearby 711 won't be able to tell you where JJ Hotel is. It might help to ask where Emperor Group Center is, that is one big building along Hennesy Rd. (the main road) and directly behind Emperor Group Center's building is Lucky Center, where JJ Hotel is.

We booked a superior room, 2 beds for four nights. The room is very clean, the bathroom with glass enclosure is a nice touch to an otherwise plain room. The beds are quite hard, which is a personal preference. So far, everything that's in this room (Rm 903) works. Only complaint is the cable TV whose channels number like, 6 and out of the 6 channels, only one is an English channel. There's a DVD machine, but you have to pay HKD 50 to "borrow" a movie from the library at the reception. If you will be out the whole day, like us, and would only be needing a shower and nice bed to sleep on at night, then this is ok. There are no hotel amenities to speak of, this is a no-frills, standard hotel. You get what you pay for and frankly, not bad for a budget hotel in Hong Kong. The only downside here is that the nearest MTR station (Wan Chai) is a few blocks away. It's NOT near esp if you are carrying massive shopping bags ALL THE TIME! While getting a cab is an option, flag down rate is HKD 20 vis a vis the MTR, bus or tram that only average between 2-5 HKD, depending on your destination. But for the love of myself (feet and arms especially) do get a cab when you think your arms and legs would like to separate from you already. Better yet, google map your hotel first before making a reservation and get those that are a building or one or two buildings/steps away from an MTR station. I guess when they say 3-5 mins walk, it may still be ok. But if it says 10-15 mins walk, that means its far! So beware. Other than the location, the hotel room is ok and if only for that, I would be staying here again. To summarize, location is a no, room cleanliness and comfort is a yes.

Food? Never worry even if the hotel doesn't serve breakfast or any meals. You will never go hungry in Wan Chai. There are restaurants everywhere to suit your budget.

Room Tip: Our room, Rm 903 is facing Wan Chai and Hennesy Rd. Everything in this room is working - TV with lim...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank jrcl
There are newer reviews for JJ Hotel

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed at JJ for three nights in September. The hotel is easy to find. You can take the MTR Airport Express to Central and transfer to the blue line and go two stops to Wan Chai. Exit A3 and turn left out of the exit. You will be on Johnston Road. The road will split to Wanchai road, which will be on the other side of the street. Follow the addresses on the front of the build. The number will go higher as you continue down the street. Next store to the hotel will be a Japanese restaurant. Two door down from the hotel will be a laundry. The hotel is located in the Lucky Center Building. A doorman is usually their to open the door. Take the elevator up the ninth floor to the desk. We were greeted by Jeffery, who was very helpful to us. Free water is available on the 11th floor. The room was clean, very good air conditioning, cold refrig, and comfortable bed. In the basement is a grocery store. Across the street is a bakery. Some nice noodle restaurants around the corner. Wanchai street market about 10 minute walk. I would stay here again on my next visit to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor. I think the 11th floor allows smoking in the common area.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank arvadadan_2000
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the peak period of Sep 2011. Our associates were regulars there. One night, we were shocked to receive a warning letter that we had to be careful with usage of the room's iron, ironing board and curtain otherwise we had to pay a fine. Upset, I went to the front desk and asked them to inspect our room as we did not damage the room at all. The iron and ironing board provided by the hotel was already worn out with old brown stains and a hole. The curtains were hidden behind the high bed board and it was impossible for me to reach, not to mention damage it. But there were old yellowish stains on them. We were offended as we did not expect by not complaining of the hotel facilities, we were blamed instead. The manager was not available after office hours. Next day, we got a box of cookies and a letter of apology from them but it already spoilt our day. Next day, we wanted to borrow an umbrella and was told had to pay deposit of hkd200 first. The Market price of a new umbrella is less than hkd50. We gave up as we were sadden by the strict regulations here. The location and hygiene is fine but the rules sucks.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank clarakhor
Reviewed 30 September 2011

WE booked at 80USD/day based upon a combination of these reviews and the low price. I would just about ditto the previous reviewer. I found the cleaning people on the ball though the front desk was frankly a pain though I think the woman was trying to be nice-just very attentive to "ruls". First problem was a friend of my wife called from Guangzou to verify that we had arrived and left a message "tell them I called but not to call back." She simply wanted to know that we were there since international calls from a hotel are so expensive. This became a message slipped under the door to call her. Since it would be an international call the desk would not allow me to place it no matter how much I agreed to pay but I was directed to a public phone. After an hours search it was obvious that finding a public phone would be virtually impossible so I returned to the desk. Now I was directed to purchase an international phone card which I eventually found at a 7-11. I could not read the instructions on the card but she translated them for me. After this I made the call and found out what the friend's real message had been. A couple of hours and the cost of the card completely wasted, Further pain at checkout.
In spite of this we would not hesitate to stay again, clean room, good housekeeping, large enough, great location, A11 bus from airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This hotel is good value and location.

I took the A11 airport bus and got off the bus at the Stewart rd stop. Walk through the Mallory street and you are facing directly at the hotel entry. The hotel occupies floor 9 to 12 of the building, and the reception office is on the 9 floor.

We arrived early and found out that it is impossible to get into room before 2 pm, so be mentally prepared. it seems the cleaning staff refuses to let people in, even if the receptionist requested.

The room is very large for Hk room sizes and the bed and lighting excellent. As other reviewers said the bathroom is glass enclosed and very transparent from the room. Lowering the blind would give some privacy. I wish management would add a set of blinds between the toilet and shower. That would make morning routines more manageable. also The shower water runs cold for a long long time before hot water arrives. Once it arrived, it is nice and comfortable.

There is a flat screen TV and a DVD player. However, there are only a few channel and most are in Chinese. and sometimes the tv signals are not available.
The wifi signal is string and stable. That is wonderful. You will need to get passcode from the office. What I like is local calls are free, nice touch.

The location is wonderful, with many many many restaurants and shops nearby. The is a laundry service next door charging only Hk $32 for 7 lbs and ready in 4 hours.

I paid only $70 a night, that is great value.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank stevew918
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Location: Wan Chai
You won't go hungry. You can spot any cafe or restaurant here.
You won't lose your way. Tram, buses and MTR (approx 10 mins walk) is nearby the hotel.
There is supermarket at the basement.

Room:
Bed is so comfortable than my own bed.. LOL..
Very clean, tidy and comfortable. just nice for 2 persons...

Service:
Excellent. They can speak fluent English.
Friendly and helpful (:

I will be back again!!

Room Tip: Bathing water is cold even turn to the hottest. Have to wait awhile to
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank charismamin
Reviewed 17 August 2011

So far quite convenience cos walk around 5 min will be the MRT but this hotel more suitable for couple instead of family as all bath room are glass bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends