“Great sushi, Japanese BBQ and opens till 2am!”
Review of Izakaya88

Izakaya88
Ranked #5,166 of 8,564 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Japanese
Hong Kong, China
“Great sushi, Japanese BBQ and opens till 2am!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

always working late and a die-hard Japanese food fan, it is normally quite hard for me to find a place that opens till late hours.I found this restaurant in Tin Hau that was still open at 11pm, so gave it a try. Surprisingly, they were still serving a good range of sashimi at this late hour. First impression, nice traditional japanese deco and friendly staff. Feeling tired, I only had my favorite grilled ox tongue and chicken skin which were excellent with a bowl of udon. Feeling satisfied, I decided to give it another go during regular dinner hours.

This time round, we sat at the bar so I could observe the chefs preparing the food, as I always like to do. It was hard to decide whether to have the set meals or order a-la-carte, as the set meal looked very attractive. Decided to try a-la-carte in the end coz we wanted to try the grilled seafood.

Typically my friend and I would order a 720ml bottle of sake for dinner, but having a hangover from my drinks last night, we decide to go with just 300ml this time. Their house sake, at $168, was excellent, much better than most house sake served in many other Japanese restaurants. Very tempted to try their imported Japanese wheat beer, but next time maybe.

Ordered a few of the specials written on the chalkboard with the house sake.

Sushi with salmon roe, uni and minced tuna and salmon with sesame sauce wrapped in a crunchy Japanese lettuce. Delicious!!

The grilled surf clam and grilled razor clam which was covered in spring onion and garlic and soy sauce I think, double yummy! And of course my favorites - ox tongue, chicken wings, chicken cartilages which goes superb with the sake.

Definitely will be back again soon and luckily for me, as I am always on the lookout for supper, the friendly manager told me they are open until 2am!!

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Comfortable Quite Lunch with Fresh Sashimi”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went to a this restaurant alone recommended by a friend. There are nice high quality lunch sets. with very fresh sashimi. I ordered "Four Kinds of Sashimi Rice Bowl" and it comes with a Japanese Egg Custard and a bowl of miso soup. It is the first time I taste really good raw shrimps in HK.

The restaurant has a very traditional Japanese Renovation and Declaration. They have a lot of sake labels on the wall. That seems to be what they are proud of. Well, alcohol is not for me for lunch today.

Waiters and Waitress are nice. Can answer my request quickly. Please be aware that they have a break on the afternoon.

Opening Hours
12:00 - 14:30
18:00 - 2:00 (the next day)

• Visited June 2014