Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
ShyBare
World Traveller

If you must stay in the ChungKing Mansions - stay at Holiday Guest House

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 May 2011
The ChungKing Mansions is a massive complex, with a bit of a bad reputation. The street level floor was quite intimidating, but once you get to Holiday Guesthouse it is all good. This guesthouse is in the E block - and was the only block that we did not see lines for the elevator. Do make sure you get the correct elevator though - each block has two - one serves even numbered floors and one serves odd.

We arrived at Holiday Guesthouse after a long flight, and were cheerily greeted by Hari. He was great, always asking if things were okay and greeting us with a big smile.

The room itself is small -- but this is Hong Kong and that is life here. We knew in advance that rooms were compact, so we booked a two-double bed room. Suposedly good for four people... but it was cozy enough with just my husband and I. Before arriving we thought we would sleep in one and put bags on the other, but once we got there we discovered they were pretty small so it was one person per bed. Still, they were comfortable with nice warm duvets. The room also had a small table and a chair so our clothes went there and our backpacks went under the bed. It was totally fine - just remember this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for.

The best thing about our room was how clean and quiet it was. It was spotless. The sheets lily white, and the floor sparkling. We stayed six nights, so told Hari he did not need to clean every night, but mid way through the sheets were changed and everything cleaned. Plus every day we were given new towels, which was really nice. We slept great here and never had outside noise to deal with. The only bothersome noise was made by other guests that would slam doors or talk loudly in the hall. But the guesthouse can not control that.

We had good internet access in our room and were able to skype home which was nice. There was also a TV. Their was a communal computer at the end of a hall, plus a "kitchen" area that had a fridge and hot water machine. Our shower was over the toilet (very commen in Asia) and had its own hot water control. Just remember to turn it on about half an hour before you shower so enough hot water heats up.

We really have no complaints about Holiday Guesthouse at all. And we would stay there again. The Chungking Mansions are in a great location - really at the heart of the city's action and in easy walking distance to the metro. Most of the buildings in the area have been done up so there are super expensive hotels and shops all around. But the ChungKing Mansion is a throw back to "the projects". The main floor is a bit scary at night, but fine during the day. If I was a single woman traveller, I don't think I would feel comfortable entering after dark, but with my husband (who lived in New York) I was fine.

The only complaint was the overall cost of Hong Kong. My husband and I are backpacking around the world, and HK is expensive. This double room cost us 400 HK dollars (US$ 50) per night, which is actually a great price, especially since we were there over Christmas. Other budget places in the ChungKing Mansions wanted US $80 to 120 for Christmas and three-star hotels wanted US $200 to 300 for the holidays. And they seemed to be getting that as many places booked out. So since the going rate of Hong Kong is quite high, the price at Holiday Guesthouse is reasonable for the area.

Thanks Hari for a great stay!!
Date of stay: December 2010
Room Tip: Don't judge the guesthouse by the first floor
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    £49
    £51
7.8 miles from Holiday Guest House Chongqing Mansion
View more hotels in Hong Kong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I booked on this hostel because of the good reviews it got here in Trip Advisor. Our room is small which I expected but the toilet is definitely in need of repairs especially the toilet door. The price for 5 days was really cheap and the staffs are very accomodating. They even let us leave our luggage though we already checked out early. The location of the place was really great. It's practically near everything.
I recommend this hostel if you will only use this for sleeping and not for a romantic vacation. This is definitely for the budget conscious.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed here for 7 days in October 2010. I decided to stay here after a cab driver recommended it to me after a problem with my reservation at another hotel. This guest house is located on the 6th floor of "Chungking Mansion". The room is small but it's extremely clean and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. It was cheap. I arrived during the Golden week holiday so the price was 400 hkd the first few days I was there and then dropped to 200 hkd a night.

The hotel is in a great location, right in the middle of Kowloon, with subway stations right across the street, and all kinds of shopping around.

Good:
-Great price
-Great location, right by subways, places to eat
-Air conditioning is fantastic
- Blanket is comfy
-room was really clean
-staff are extremely helpful and friendly
-Internet cable is provided and the internet is really fast. I pirated a lot of tv shows and movies with no problem with download speed.
-lobby has everything you need. Food, money exchange open late, clothes, shopping. It's the people that are undesirable.

Bad:
- Room is tiny. I got used to it but it is about the size of a prison cell
- Hot water for shower only works for a very short time (about 1 minute), then it is lukewarm
-toilet was extremely loud. Sounded like a plane engine every time it flushed.

Ugly:

- 1 elevator from Chungking Mansion lobby to this guesthouse. There are 16 floors and tons of people. There is always a big line, and the elevator is always so packed you can't move, and some people do not have very good hygiene so you imagine what that was like. I got so frustrated so many times that I took the stairs because of the long lines for the elevators and the constant "full load" sign on the elevator. It also takes forever to wait for the elevator.

-occasional yelling from outside with what seemed to be gambling or something

-People are constantly trying to sell you stuff in the lobby, and the ones that aren't are busy staring you down. People are pushy as well. I'm a big guy so I just bulldoze people but if I was smaller I'm sure I would be quite intimidated. Also, it is very "diverse" in the lobby, so if you aren't comfortable with diversity you will be VERY uncomfortable here.

-It's very crowded and again, when it came to the elevator some of the people would jam themselves in, very rudely I might add.

-The lobby is extremely busy

-The lobby smells terrible, and the people also smell terrible. I've never encountered this much body odor in my life. It is like mutant body odor on steroids.

- Some very shady people in the stairwells. I saw homeless people sleeping, people smoking, somebody with a syringe, groups of people who appeared to be on drugs.

-Not to do with Chungking Mansion, but I kept getting haggled for "Custom suits". Every corner I was asked if I wanted a custom tailored suit or a watch.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
6  Thank brutallyhonest411
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Was staying in Charlton's hostel before this one, and decided to move to Holiday Guest House. Very Clean, friendly staff and clean rooms. I came with my friends and my brother. I booked out a two bed room for me and my brother and also the others booked single bed rooms for themselves. I had a look at the single bed rooms and they were quite small. The two bed room that we booked was large for a Chungking mansions room. I would definately recommend this guesthouse.

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ilyas-Shezad
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We weredreading getting to Chung King Mansions as we hadheard some terrible stories from other travellers. I looked atrooms in 10 hotels in Chung King before picking this place which is head and shoulders above the rest!
If you stay more than 5 nights they will discount your room rate, they clean every day and the staff are friendly and helpful but NEVER asked us if we wanted tours/ transport bookings even though they do them!
I would stay here if i came back to Hong Kong even if i wasnt on a budget!

Date of stay: July 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeavinUk
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Getting into the guest house is the start of our horrible stay. It did not feel like I was in Hong Kong when I entered the chung king mansion. It felt like a refugee camp with all these indians haggeling you to buy fake rolexes, bags, electronics etc..etc..

Once we got up the the guesthouse, the prices changes from our original booking. Not very honest.

rooms were just dirty, and the smell (curry??) just follows you everywhere you go. I've been traveling for 6 months in asia and their were some pretty bad places but this guesthouse tops it all. nothing good I can say here, stay away

Date of stay: January 2008