“Excellent hotel with great rooms, location not great”

Courtyard Hong Kong
Ranked #62 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in early Jan 2014. We booked using points but this review is based on what the full price would have been worth.

Firstly, the taxi driver, and most of the staff at the Taxi rank at the HK airport had never heard of the hotel and were really not too sure of the location even thought its quite straight forward (in my view). My suggestion is to take a print out, in Chinese of the name and location, that might help. The price was $375HKD on the way there (including tolls and baggage costs) and $330 on he way back (not sure why it was different)

Second, to my only real problem with this hotel, the location. It is quite far west on the island and does take 20 mins or so to reach the first MTR train. Now you can also take a tram, which only takes 8-10 mins but I would really prefer a location far closer to Central / Wan Chai etc so that most for the aspects of HK you want are 5 mins walk away. At the end of the day, its not a huge problem as the tram makes it simple, I would just prefer one closer.

The reception staff were efficient and friendly getting us checked in within a few minutes. The room was really quite large for a HK room with a very comfortable king sized bed. The bathroom was quite large also and very modern. As per most HK hotels there was about 40 channels on the TV with lots of English options.

I can not comment on the food in the hotel as we did not eat there. There is a circle K, Seven 11 and Star bucks within 30 seconds walk of the hotel so that makes it very convenient. Given they offer a fridge its nice to be able to get a few drinks and store them in your room for when required....

All in all we can highly recommend the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, the beds were super comfortable, there are convenience stores a stones throw away I only wished it was a little closer to the main action of HK but with the trams right out the front, its not really a big problem. You will not be disappointed if staying at the Hong Kong Courtyard hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Savitar
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Hong Kong

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here for three nights in January 2014. It is in a good location, there is a Starbucks very close by as well as a Circle K and 7-11. The bus from the airport A12 dropped us off in front of the hotel and costs 45 HKD per person. The bathroom is large and has a rain shower. The staff was very helpful in communicating how to get to locations we wanted to visit and arranging transportation to the airport. The room service is also very good and Momo's offers a buy one get one happy hour deal as well.

Room Tip: Room 1810 is not near other rooms, I think all that end in 10 are that way. Close to elevator but ho...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Good clean rooms. Near public transportation. Several places nearby for great local flavor. Got great dim sum for breakfast just up the street. They do have a hotel van that can take you to stops on their route. Free for guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Being a Lifetime Marriott Platinum member, I've grown accustomed to high level of Marriott service and quality. This property meets these expectations. The biggest disadvantage is the hotel's location, as it sits just far enough away from the MTR (HK Subway) that you wind up taking a taxi no matter where you want to go. Frequent visitors to HK rely on the MTR for most travel, so this is one area of caution you may want to consider when booking this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulDohertyAIA
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The position not good for a city as HKG.
The Hotel is in the middle of many old and dirty area ( I have been in many hotel in HKG and Kowloon side )
I selected this one as a last minute option and trust on Marriott quality (99% very good). Management and service are fine, not excellent as HKG tradition..... But the place is really unconfortable.
There are much more better option in the city

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very very nice. The only downsides with this hotel are a) the rooms are a little small (to be expected in Hong Kong) and b) the fitness center equipment is not high-end (the elliptical can't slope up). Other than this, the hotel is really perfect. The buffet breakfast at the cafe is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have been staying here regularly since 2008; this hotel is a favorite of mine. The staff always seem committed to providing excellent service. This quality was very notable in my recent stay.

I had taken a taxi to the hotel from the airport. The taxi driver did not speak English, nor I Chinese. The taxi driver seemed new to the job, and drove around Hong Kong Island not knowing where to go. After taking me to the wrong hotel, I took charge and directed him to the Courtyard using hand gestures. Sadly, the taxi driver wanted to charge me the full rate on his meter. I felt this unfair since the additional miles were his shortcoming. Thankfully, the Courtyard staff member negotiated a reasonable solution for both driver and me upon my arrival at the hotel. I was so very happy to see this familiar face at the Courtyard!

Before my stay I requested some Hong Kong Calendars, which I have purchased from this hotel in recent years. The staff member, Amanda had them waiting for me upon my check-in.

I am accustomed to receiving good customer service when I stay at a Marriott hotel. The Courtyard Hong exemplifies the value of providing excellent Customer Service. This is why I come back, and why it will continue to me a favorite hotel for me.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends