“Ouch”

Neighbourhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Hong Kong, China
“Ouch”
Reviewed 6 December 2010

How can Da Domenico get away with serving a slab of meat on a plate with nothing else to garnish it , and still charge top restaurant prices, makes me wonder whether diners in HK have more money than sense.

The average cost of a meal here is so much more than other italian restaurants in HK, for food that is average at best.

There are way better options at these prices.

1 Thank geophilhk

• Indonesian first
Paris
“WAY over-priced + Unauthentic Italian. Terrible Service.”
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Went here on recent trip to HK. DD was billed as an authentic experience If you want good Italian food. I lived in Italy for a long time, so I think I know what that means. I was warned DD was expensive, but good food often is, and was looking forward to the experience. What we received was beyond diappointing, it was insulting. The pasta sauces are sweetened (probabaly to appeal to the local palate which prefers this), and the noodles were overcooked. The bucatini Amatriciana had barely any bacon / pancetta and were sweet! Horrendous. You'd get better at a school cafeteria.

We ordered a salad, just to have on the side (Salad was USD 25 so we figured it was large). The waiter asked if this was for 2, which I interpreted a "to share?" What we received was a small plate of greens, which I was shocked cost USD 25. When the bill came they had actually billed us for 2 portions. So I paid USD 50 for some greens and small tomatoes. It was not a bad salad, but seriously. I cant believe they keep a straight face serving this.

DD proves that you can run a restaurant in HK based on style over substance. The Owner has done a great job making the local nouveaux riches feel like they are getting a real piece of Rome. Which they are, if you think of the many tourist traps Rome has. Clearly you can get away with anything with good marketing in HK (he somehow got a word spread that many "tycoons" go there.) But I hear he is Italian, and he should be ashamed. DD is an insult to Italian cuisine. I am embarassed to admit I went there and paid what I did for such mediocrity.

3 Thank Teresias
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Start with parma ham and...”
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Start with parma ham and melon (extremely sweet melon and the ham had a nice reddish hue), octopus salad and burrata cheese (much better than Mozzarella and came with very sweet tomatos plus a well tossed accompanying salad). Best pasta I have tried would be the linguini with red prawns. Extremely sweet prawns and flavour was well diffused to the pasta. House white was pinot grigio and house red was chianti; both v good. Not a cheap meal though. HKD1,600 for 2 for lunch

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Hong Kong
“Horrible Service”
Reviewed 24 December 2008

Absolutely terrible service. The HK guy working there was very rude and derogatory. Took a few friends and workers to celebrate an event and we were treated very poorly. We were well behaved but the man there acted annoyed every time we asked for anything. And one of the guests was so unhappy that their image of HK was ruined.

Food was OK but overpriced. Why pay $50 USD for spaghetti and sausage dish? Only idiots would pay for this. Arrogance like this should not be tolerated especially in a bad market.

We are HK people but they were especially rude to my non-HK friends. Man working there got so mad when we asked what was good and what he would recommend? Sorry, they don't know whats good because they are not from here- travelled all the way from London and had one meal and we unfortunately chose this place.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best italian restaurant...”
Reviewed 8 November 2008

best italian restaurant in hong kong, no doubt about it

4 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook