“Best hotel i've been to” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour

Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour
Ranked #61 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Warsaw, Poland
“Best hotel i've been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at Ovolo for a week in April 2014 and there was absolutely nothing to complain about. Rooms are small but well designed, clean and equipped with all the necessities, all looking brand new. Breakfasts, served in a lobby, were quite diverse and tasty. Self laudry is available and the gym is open 24h/7.

Very friendly and helpful staff [with special thanks and regards to Wilson, who had been simple amazing throughout our stay :)

One thing not so great about Ovolo is its location: 30 min by bus from the Central (but the bus transportation in Hong Kong is amazing [check the Octopus Card if you're planning to travel by bus more than a couple of times]) and next to fish market. However, Ovolo is in a center of Aberdeen, once a separate city now more a district, full of shops and restaurants (some of them very good), so there is plenty to do in the neighborhood.

Summing up, it's been a great week in Hong Kong, largely thanks to fantastic Ovolo Hotel.

And i haven't mention the quality/price ratio --> it's one of the cheapest hotels (3+ stars) in Hong Kong. If i'm ever back to Hong Kong, i won't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more comfortable (less noise from the outside with windows open, better view)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marta A
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hello there Marta A!

We are humbled by your generous “Best hotel I’ve been to” review. We are glad that you found great value to the services and the all-inclusive amenities that we provide. While your review is such an enjoyable read, it is first and foremost an inspiration to all of us here at Ovolo and we will endeavor to get only better!

Gone are the days that one had to fish for small coins from their purse/pockets and Octopus card has really put travelling in Hong Kong’s public transport with such ease. One can even use it in making purchases at any of the grocery and convenient stores around town. It is definitely recommended for any Hong Kong traveler intending to stay for at least 3 nights.

Wilson is overjoyed for the personal shout-out and he sends his thanks and his best wishes along with mine. Thank you again!

chumroa@ovologroup.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2014. One arrival, the staff could not help me enough. The room itself was small, but very clean. I had a great view of the fishing area outside, and it looked spectacular at night. I loved all the little extras... a bag of treats, the mini bar was complimentary, a shopping bag/backpack and a few other things.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
2 Thank Outbackdaz
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Outbackdaz

Thank you for highlighting our O bag among other things in your “Comfortable Hotel” review – our O bag is a complimentary multi-purpose backpack, or a shopping bag, a trip to the beach bag, a party bag – whatever-you-call-it-bag! And that is just one of the many extras! I'm glad you got to enjoy them.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I agree that Ovolo is such a thoughtful hotel!
Yes, the room is small, the lobby and the 'cafe' are small and it's quite far from the Hong Kong central, but it's lovely as it is.
We booked and stayed at the ocean view room for 5 days and 4 nights. The view overlooking the Aberdeen promenade/dock is beautiful, be it during the day or the night. The room is clean, the facility is complete; the kettle, tea & coffee, the free mini bar drinks, the snacks they gave you when you just checked into the room.
The breakfast was nothing fancy, but I think they are good. We got croissants, toasts, cereals, juice, milk, coffee/tea, ham, cheese and fruits. Pretty reasonable, I think. Around the hotel, there are little shops that sell food, Mcdonalds, little local restaurants and, even a supermarket.
Since it's a bit far from town, taking taxi can be quite costly, buses are more reasonable. However, make sure that you ask the reception which buses to catch (and where) to go back to the hotel, as the hotel pamphlet only tells you how to go FROM the hotel to places, not how to return. We got lost once and had to take a taxi back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nietis
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hello there nietis!

That is exactly the reaction we wanted from our hotel guests when they experience our “effortless living” concept. Keeping tabs of your hotel incidentals can sometimes spoil the fun of your vacation, so we got rid of those so you can truly enjoy our Ovolo hospitality.

As for our “Bus? No Fuss!” guide, our next reprint will include the return transport information. In the meantime, we have printed temporary guides for our guests. Thank you for the recommendation.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

the staff in this hotel are very friendly and are happy to help you in any way possible I cant thank them enough, they helped me find the Hong Kong heritage museum, local bus routes to city locations they were wonderful

the facilities available are brilliant, it was very hot in HK during July and I could go to the lobby any time and have a cold drink and an apple and the fridge in the room had drinks available for free like coke, water and beer

the breakfast was continental and had a selection of pastries, cold meats, yogurts, fruit, tea, coffee the usually goodies and there is plenty to keep you going through out the day

we stayed in a superior twin room that I found to be more then adequate for our needs and had apple TV which was a cool feature to have since I never used it before
I didn't use these features personally but there is a very good looking gym and a handy laundrette
the hotel also has handy packages for Disneyland and ocean park if your visiting theme attraction's
thanks for a wonderful time

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear daniel m

We had been called many things but a “legend” that would be the first! And it is so inspiring!

We would like our guests to think of our LO Lounge as an extension of their room, that is why we load them up with complimentary beverages and snacks 24 hours a day! I’m glad you were able to enjoy them, plus the breakfast and the Apple TV in our rooms. We are so privileged to have a team of dedicated service professionals and I am very happy to learn that we were able to fulfill your needs during your stay.

And Daniel m, the pleasure was ours!

Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in Aberdeen area.
Small room, but clean!
Easy to travell to shopping and sightseeing by taxi.
Minibar and breakfast inkl.:)
We can recomand it and will come back for our next Hong Kong visit.

One tip from us to you - When you are travelling with taxi - always bring the hotel adress in lokal writing. And there is sevral Ovolo hotels so make sure you are goning to Aberdeen.

3 Thank mberte2
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear mberte2

With our all-inclusive concept – free breakfast, free mini-bar, free happy hour, just to name a few, I do believe we have the best value in town and we are pleased to hear of your endorsement. However, if there was any area where we did not meet your expectation stopping you short on rating us 5 out of 5, please do let me know. As much as we love positive feedback, your candid comments for our improvement will be much appreciated.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I have just spent a short honeymoon staying at this hotel. The staff here,or Happy Shiney People, could teach some the worlds top hotels a few lessons in customer service. From arrival to departure, the service was of the first order,from the Manager down to the must junior. Nothing is too much trouble. The word "No" does seem to be in their vocabulary. The rooms are small,but well designed,and the floor to ceiling windows all breathtaking views over Aberdeen Harbour and beyond. The company policy of free minibar,free loot bag,free coffee and soft drinks 24/7,and free Happy Hour between 6 - 8pm,with free wine, beer and snacks makes this hotel unique. I must single out,Giselle,Eric and Lok for special mention,and I must also apologise for not mentioning those members of staff whose names I did not find out. Many other reviews mention the easy availablility of public transport,and I agree with those comments,but I feel that the hotel and the staff were the jewels in the crown. Would we go back?? The answer to that is a resounding "yes"

Room Tip: Book a seaview room on a higher floor,traffic noise could be a problem nearer street level
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brodazz9137
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear brodazz9137

We are very humbled to know that we have made such a positive impact during your recent stay with us. Our objective has always been to provide genuine care and comfort to all of our guests. But it is not very often articulated the way you described your experience and your thoughts on your interaction with our staff. Reading your "If only all hotels could be like this!!!" review is so rewarding and we can’t help but be honored to be a part of your Hong Kong experience. Gisele, Eric, Lok and the rest of the Happy Shiny team here at Ovolo, thanked you and the mrs wholeheartedly. You walked through our doors as our guests and we bid you farewell as family! And I think that is what service is all about.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I booked this hotel in the area that we wanted to stay and was thrilled with the price and the pictures and location. My partner lived in the area and we were visiting his family. The hotel is in a great location for bus and taxi service. Other than that, I cannot say enough positive things about the quality of the hotel, room and the staff. The meals were good quality, the included amenities and the treatment by the staff made us feel like royalty. I was very concerned about the size of the smaller room. But it's setup well and I was able to accommodate two carry ons, two backpacks and two large pieces of checked luggage in the room. There was plenty of water available, laundry was always generally available (be kind, share with the other guests) and the hotel itself was tastefully decorate and contemporary looking. If I needed help with anything, the staff was always able to accommodate. Whether it be stamps, change, advice for a restaurant, taxi or anything. I probably won't stay anywhere else in Hong Kong!

Room Tip: The suites are quite large, but I found the standard room to be quite comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chum R, Manager at Ovolo Aberdeen Harbour, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear John B

We not only spoil our guests with the many complimentary inclusions but we make every effort to ensure that those we provide for free is of the best and freshest quality. As indicated in many reviews here, the team does make a valiant effort to ensure comfort and care are provided to every single guests. I am very proud to work with these individuals. And you are so kind to point it out on your review. We can’t wait for your next visit and welcome you back to your home in Hong Kong!