“Great atmosphere and service, food ok”

Maxim's Palace Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 8,224 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Central
Bathurst, Australia
“Great atmosphere and service, food ok”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We ate here and really looked forward to it. The atmosphere is, I have to say, well worth the experience and anticipation. Great big chandeliers and stages. Worth just the theatrics, wish they had more theatrics in the service of the food. Loved the trolleys, absolute theatre in some of them. One trolley had a tv screen and that was a bit kitsch but cute in a way. Service great although a lot of the trolleys move very fast. Try and get a seat in a corner so you can see it all. Food was ok but have had much more enjoyable experiences in Australia. Reminds me of East Ocean before they got rid of the trolleys in Sydney. Still worth a go, but don't expect traditional.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
canberra
“Great Dim Sum”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been to this place several times now and I really like it. Most restaurants have got rid of the trolleys but this place still is going strong. Go with a local if you can as it makes the process easier. Yes, it can be a wait to get in so go early.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank sparky59canberra
Hong Kong, China
“Not worth the wait-mainly for visitors”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I tried this place after not having eaten here for over ten years. We've been in Hong Kong for over two decades and thought we should visit this place again as it is one of the few places that still has dim sum trolley service (ladies going around the restaurant with carts carrying various dim sum dishes) and we might want to visitors here. We came early on Saturday morning at 10:15 am and still had to wait about 20 minutes. The place is much cleaner and brighter than we remembered but dim sum dishes were average. We were hungry so we tried 10 or so plates and all tasted bland.

The place was mainly tourists but I was surprised to see some locals although most seemed to be here with visitors. There are much better quality dim sum in Hong Kong such as the Art of Dim Sum in Happy Valley or ones in 4 or 5 star hotel restaurants. I would not be surprised if this place is still recommended on many tour guide books based on old reputation - I recall when I used to come here often back in late 1980s and early 1990s, this place had that old, noisy and boisterous vibe that one would imagine a popular Hong Kong dim sum place would be like and food was considered very good for the price.
I could see some tourists getting a kick out of seeing dim sum served on carts but I would not bring my out of town friends here - I would not want to drag them here early to avoid the lines and the quality of food just doesn't justify the wait.

Noosa, Australia
“A very special brunch.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

If you're a lover of dim sum Maxim's Palace is a 'must'. The food is excellent. Located in the interesting to visit City Hall, Maxim's is a very well appointed dining room boasting chandeliers, linen, and well presented and highly efficient staff. In spite of the plush surroundings and some very well dressed patrons, smart shorts, shirts and sandals are perfectly acceptable dress.
Beware, it's easy to over-eat from the never ending trolleys of plates of food that pass your table!

Melbourne, Australia
“Had heaps better in Melbourne”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We took our ticket and waited 45 minutes. It would been an hour except a kind couple gave us a spare ticket they had. it was not worth the wait .I have had far better in Little Bourke Street, Melbourne.

The staff are rude and don't speak English. When I tried to get the attention of the dessert trolley lady she put up her hand like a cop at an intersection when the traffic lights are malfunctioning. Later when she did serve us we pointed at the sign that said vanilla but got bean curd.

One of the dishes was calamari in satay which we could not eat. Most of the other dishes were familiar but we kept thinking we had had better. My partner thought the yum cha at Preston Market was far superior.