“Good variety of smooth Congee”

Nathan Congee And Noodle
Ranked #74 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Jordan / Yau Ma Tei
Singapore, Singapore
“Good variety of smooth Congee”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I like Congee and noodles and can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We tried this place for the first time, near Novotel Hotel and Jordan MTR station. It's a small, humble place, hardly can squeeze in 10 square tables and lacking of decor and ambience. You will see the menu hand-written in large Chinese characters on both sides of the wall, listing the various types of congee and noodles. The chief waitress (oh, she could speak a few languages) recommended the liver congee and the fish congee as they are the most popular in the restaurant. We decided to try a variety and ordered the liver, the fish and the pork congee. You can watch the Chef preparing them in front of you (through a glass partition) and drawing the congee from a huge pot - being regularly stirred with a long wooden pole. The congee is smooth and very high quality, and a dash of pepper is recommended. We saw a few customers ordering frog-leg congee. We also tried the dried thin noodles with liver and a dish of green Kai Lans in oyster sauce. The liver was just medium done and came in generous portion. It was a good meal, not expensive and very much home-cooked style. We witnessed a large group of Thais tourists trying out the food and they seemed to enjoy the experience too. We will return again to sample the other types of congee.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lawrence L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Great Congee”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I am congee lover and addicted to this dish :)

They do a real express and fresh congee, no like other place that do "pre prepared"

I went several time (around 5 times)

This restaurant is small and i suggest only a congee.

I paid 50/51 for chicken congee and 49 for beef congee. But I think price can change if you are a locals (fluctuations can be 1 or 2 hkd.. nothing dramatic! !!)

If you want nice and fresh congee you MUST to go!

1 Thank alessioflorence
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delicious congee”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We have the best congee at this place. there are many variations such as pork balls, chicken, minced meat and even innards from the pig. We tried a few variation and the wantan soup which was very tasty.

Visited March 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“One of the best!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have always love pig's liver and kidney and I can't wait to try it with congee when I happened to stay at the Novotel Nathan and getting to know that the congee shop is just opposite the hotel through my HK friend. It did not disappoint me and I have visited the shop 4 times for dine in and takeaway during my 8 days stay in HK. I have tried the frog's leg congee and chicken congee as well. The congee was so smooth and I do not recall I have tasted such good congee in my own hometown.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank FlorenceKou
San Francisco, California
“It's all about the congee...”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Disclaimer- first time congee eater.

I was pretty geared up to eat in Hong Kong. I arrived a day early on a business trip and had mapped out many restaurants, fish ball soup was on the top of my list. However, I was jet lag and waking early forced me to get out for breakfast.

I was sharing this adventure with a friend from Hong Kong (who lives in the US) and texting on what to eat. She recommended congee for breakfast and Chinese donut. Since I've never had congee I wanted it to be as good as good gets- like a Guinness in Dublin or a lobster in Maine good.

It was difficult to search for congee on tripadvisor, primarily restaurants with congee in the name show up. But I chose Nathan's because if it's location and previous reviews. It looked to be all about the congee.

I arrived about 730am. You walk into a very family style, unassuming small restaurant with about 10 tables. At the front of the restaurant is the congee cook, a massive congee pot and his small congee cooktop. All of the items for the congee are there, pre cut to be cooked and added to the congee in this 3x6 glass walled kitchen. Near the kitchen is a stack of the Chinese donuts and a table that has small cut up plates of donuts and cups of hot covered black tea.

In ordered the fresh fish congee. There were about 40 congee dishes on the menu as well as noodles and other Chinese fare. But 9 out of 10 people looked to be eating the congee at this time of day.

I was very excited as I texted my Hong Kong native friend and she kindly let me know to add some soy, white pepper and chili. I was generous with it as I like a lot of chili.

The congee was perfect. Very nice fresh fish. I saw the filets hanging in the shop window. There were scallions and nice pieces of ginger. I periodically added the donut pieces to soak up the congee and I ate the whole bowl... It was a perfect size for a hungry breakfast.

The experience gets a little interesting here- I went to use the restroom in the back, a really horribly gross stall with the hole in the floor, but if you don't touch anything and have your own hand sanitizer you can overlook it. It adds to the ambiance :)

While I was coming out of the restroom, there was a little bit of loud talking and a man smiles as he walks past me with a large forked instrument with a rat caught in it. He was unassuming and took the guy out to the back and put him into a bamboo basket. It was all pretty matter of fact. The noodle lady and the old man who was cutting the beef livers in the back looked on and then smiled a little shyly at me. They must have known I was not totally grossed out and I went back to my table.

As an aside, if I was a rat I would live in Hong Kong. Small alleyways and plenty of restaurant waste lining these areas are heaven for these critters.

Before I left I asked, in my iPhone sign language, if I could take some photos and went through the back again and got some good photos.

This is certainly home style 4 star food and experience in Hong Kong, and I'll put it up there with that first Guinness in Dublin (critter and all)...

2 Thank ssmark2k

Been to Nathan Congee And Noodle? Share your experiences!