“local experience”

Neighbourhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Vancouver, Canada
“local experience”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This restaurant was recommended by local Hong Kong friends. It is located in a stall in an older business mall. Some may feel that the restaurant is quite out of place in regards to surrounding small businesses but it is hong kong and space is very limited.

Since I I couldn't order a feast-full of food because I was by myself, I ordered my long time favourite dish - Hainanese Chicken Rice. I've had a good share of chicken rice in my days and I can say for certain that the chicken rice here is quite delicious. I absolutely love the tasty, oily rice here. I would definitely come back again to try their other dishes, and most possible need to back a chicken rice to go!

Disclaimer: for those looking for excellent service and a feel good restaurant ambience, I don't think you will find that here. This place is definitely a local place with a somewhat cozy home dining atmosphere. If you want good food with decent pricing, then this is the right place for you.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“As bad as it looks”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hidden in a very old style shopping mall, this small restaurant is not very good. Found after reading a Lonely Planet review, we went in for lunch. The waiters do not speak English and they seem relieved when Western people leave the premises. Food is not tasty and the service is patchy to say the least.

• Visited August 2013
Norwich
“Decent local place. Very good value”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice place, with honest food and good prices. Lots of local people, which was a good sign for me. Also the location was nice and quiet to get out of the bustle of TST

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Alberto M
Gainesville, Florida
“A hole in the wall, tables in the hall”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This evening we went to this restaurant based on rave reviews on openrice.com. Boy, are they way off!! The place is literally a hole in the wall and has several tables in the hall of a corner of Houston center at East TST. When we arrived there were almost a dozen people waiting for a table. When my wife pressed the manager/waitress/busgirl about the call I made this afternoon for a reservation we were seated after a few minutes in the hallway. Turns out they don't take reservations but since they could not understand me this afternoon they humored the four gwei los by seating us.
Our table was a table for two but we were happy to be seated. On dirty plastic stools but at this point we didn’t care. Our orders of chili crab at HK$130, laksa, mee goreng and gato gato at HK$ 40 each were only average at best, if not poor. The service consisted of plopping our dishes on the table and bringing some napkins after we asked. The bill for the food and four small cans of beer came to HK$345. Way too high for this literally hole in the wall venue. We have had better food, service and value at Yau Ma Tei, eating at tables set out in the middle of the street in the evening. As we were chatting after our meal one of the waiters came over and motioned that we should leave as he was going to seat another group at our table. Talk about "eat and then leave" policy of the place. The food was nothing special, in fact poor as attested to by all of us who have been to Singapore, and Malaysia. The service such as it is is bare bones, and the ambiance?? Fohgedaboudit.
But, to be sure the place was full of mostly young locals so maybe they know something we don't.
Live and learn.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank tatliturk
Malibu
“Decent Singaporean dishes at affordable prices, Aug 2012”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The restaurant is located on the second floor of an almost dead shopping center/office building. There are two sections to the restaurant and it's more like a hole in the wall type without any decoration. Don't expect much service. Place is clean though. Customers are all local Hong Kong people with mostly younger generation. Business is good and can fill up quickly. I suspect the wait should not be too long since it's the type of restaurant one eats and goes.

The food served is more like Singaporean than Malaysian, though it has laksa (a Malaysian soup noodle) which I did not order. It is famous for its Hainan Chicken which was not bad but I had better ones in other countries. It came with a few different sauces. Other good dishes I ordered were satay (chicken was very tender), fried veg. (the kind that has a hollow tube), and fried rice noodles (which was somewhat quite spicy even though I requested mild). I did thought about going back for its Hainan Chicken before I left HK. Price wise was very affordable. The above-mentioned dishes good for three people only came out $30. Overall, food was descent but not exceptional. I heard the only other Singaporean restaurant that is comparable to this one is Satay King.

• Visited August 2012