“Decent Japanese food... but too expensive”
Review of Rei Sushi Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Rei Sushi Japanese Restaurant
Neighbourhood: Central
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The subject says it all.

Food is ok, but nothing stands out. Portions on small side. The bill was what I remember most... It's not highly expensive; however, felt expensive for what I got.

Not a bad establishment, but I wouldn't actively recommend.

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We went there for our wedding anniversary and it was a big mistake!!! First of all, at the time of booking I asked for a window seat. They said all booked out. The then added, if you can leave by 7.30pm you can have a window seat which I agreed to. Tonight I found that the window seats are hardly occupied at all! So what's this all about???
The food was really bad. Any sushi store would be able to do a
Better sushi roll than them! The tempura was oily and soggy! The least you could do is to ensure the tempura is dry before serving. The teppanyaki beef fried rice (extremely small portion) cost $130!!! Definitely a rip off!!!!

The staff are all rude and impolite! I asked them for an order which was late and she looked at me without saying anything and walked away! So I don't know whether she heard me or I was just talking to the thin air???? When I was walking out pushing a baby pram, instead of giving way to me, she walked straight in and I had to give way to her???

The staff there definitely needs training and they are not very customer focused! A smile would not go astray!

Never again and if you are planning to fine there, expect to pay through the nose. Expensive and food portions are catered for kids !!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This place in IFC has a nice view of the opposite Kowloon side, and you'll pay premium for the view and location. I took the sushi counter seat, as always. Service was typical hong kong, efficient if not brusque. Ordered the 8 piece sushi platter and the sushi chefs were quickly working on the orders , including mine. They hardly ever look up or smile, never mind to chat with the diners at the counter. The sushi were mostly ok, the tuna and toro were good. There was wifi and i asked for the password. They passed me the business card and the password was the name and phone number, which I thought was good marketing right? Right after I keyed in the password, they took the card away! So they don't want guests to have a card of the place? Weird

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Lunchtime visit with work colleagues. I was paying so perhaps that immediately pushes my expectations up. Choose a teppan set meal. Fairly average to be honest.meat didn't melt in the mouth like it normally does and service was a bit haphazard. Was busy though so maybe was just one of those off days but won't be going back in a hurry. Plenty other top restaurants nearby where you get more value for money.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Took my son for lunch at REI. Have been a few times before and enjoyed the food. This time was very disappointed.

Red tuna salad was okay but far too much mayonnaise. Soft shell crab roll smelled bad when it arrived and my ten year-old son spat out his first taste. We returned it but they left the spat out food on the table for the rest of the meal. The prawn tempura roll was okay but little flavour.

Teppanyaki giant prawn was borderline acceptable. Was definitely not fresh but probably not bad enough to send back. My son did not want to eat it. Teppanyaki cod was undercooked and had bones in it.

Worst Japanese meal I have had in Hong Kong in the last 14 years.

Unenjoyable meal - will not return (too may good options).

1  Thank Zephion