“Not worth money or to waste a meal on”
Review of Sushi Toku

Sushi Toku
Ranked #2,860 of 8,038 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$50 - US$200
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
“Not worth money or to waste a meal on”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

In a city as. Vibrant as Hong Kong. This is a major disappointment for the food and pricing recommended as a good local restaurant it certainly was not.
As a frequent traveler to Hong Kong this was not good at all very expensive for what it is. Rearmament app. Was 50 hk dollars anwas 8 pcs. Tempura shrimp was very small, expensive and greasy.
Best advice go someplace else

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Smb1600

• Korean first
Shanghai, China
“Always excellent and always friendly”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I have been to Sushi Toku four times in the past five months, three times for dinner and once for lunch. Each time has been a tasty and delightful experience. I travel to Hong Kong monthly and previously would frequent a highly respected spot on Hong Kong Island. I believe the food at Sushi Toku is just as fresh and delicious; however, what separates the two is the atmosphere. The staff and owner Sushi Toku are always very friendly and cheerful. They seem to enjoy themselves and enjoy the wide variety of customers and never take themselves too seriously. What they do take seriously is delivering a high quality product and overall excellent dining experience. From a cost perspective the lunch set is a great value. I typically will drink Sake or Shochu with dinner and that will contribute to higher overall bill. I will admit I currently live in Shanghai and the sushi is not consistently of a high quality, so I make it a point to enjoy some great sushi every trip and I usually splurge a little bit each time I visit.

• Visited April 2013
Hong Kong
“Another average Japanese”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have been in HK for 7 years and would normally go to Sushi Hiro when we want to have a quality experience at a reasonable price (or Nobu when we want to splurge). Once in a while however we try different Japanese places just to see whether we could find something which would surpass Hiro. Based on the reviews here we decided to give Toku a shot for lunch today. We had the sashimi on rice (200 HKD), Soba and sushi (120 HKD) and 300 ml of what looked like their house sake (80 HKD). While everything was OK, it cannot compare to Hiro from a quality, quantity and value for money view. Compared to many other joints in HK it is however no bad, with a nice ambiance and good jazz flowing from the loudspeakers.

• Visited November 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Please don't go, this is my secret place”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Hong Kong is a major consumer of sushi and I suspect there are numerous good offerings, sadly, I only go here. Because why bother when you've found the best. But please don't tell anyone else! I'd consider myself a middle grade sushi expert.

I start by saying I've only eaten lunch here (numerous times though). It's located on the 2nd floor of what can only be described as an ugly concrete building. But once you enter, you have arrived in Japan. It's clean, bright woods and quiet.

There is the requisite sushi bar, Western style tables and Japanese tables as well. It's not a big place, but big enough. I'm here for the fish and I want it fresh. I normally arrive promptly at noon (when they open) to assure I get a seat.

Lunch has a number of set menus and sadly, I only order one, the Sushi Lunch Set. I'm sure the other stuff is equally good, but why bother, I want fish. My colleagues and I often travel to Japan on business and we are always happy to come here. As I've said before I hope you don't visit and ruin the place!

The set lunch consists of miso soup, the classic egg/mushroom coodled pudding, a small seaweed roll, side salad and assortment of freshly made sushi. Don't ask for wasbai (you don't get any to start), the chef has expertly already applied the exacting amount of required for the fish type and you immediately will look like a tourist from Texas for asking. A dessert of simple sliced fruit in a cold stone bowl is your fresh finish.

The presentation can only be described as Japanese. Beautiful, functional and elegant. It's a quiet place designed for eating. It's a businessman's lunch, you order, you eat, you leave. But you leave happy.

I can only hope that Trip Advisor readers will be pay respect to this local restaurant so that it can maintain it's affordable prices and ambiance and one of my top picks for sushi in Hong Kong.

• Visited October 2012
“One of the best sushi restaurants in Hong-Kong where you can have the best "soba" in Hong-Kong.”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Had always enjoyed Sushi Toku but thought it was pretty expensive as we were in the habit of always ordering the course which is outstanding but pretty dear. For the first time we weren't inviting people so instead of the course we ordered a la carte! As with the course, the sushi was very fresh, but the small dishes we ordered (pork belly, tempura, grilled squid, "kaniko salad", etc.) were expertly prepared as well. The big surprise was the soba (buckwheat noodle) which was "al dente" and the broth it came in was outstanding. Definitely on the expensive side but if you want quality Japanese food, you won't be disappointed.

2 Thank Omusubi