“Chinese New Year Menu Was Great”
Review of Gingko House

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sheung Wan
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Chinese New Year Menu Was Great”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We tried the Chinese New Year Menu after looking for a restaurant nearby. Only 250 HKD per person for a 3 course meal. The tables were nice + candle lit but the place is quite small.

The starter was Salad + Prosciutto wrapped scallops.

For main I had Pork cheek with baked fish. The pork was 80% bones but the fish was delicious.

Desert we had a radish cake for Chinese new year + lemon tea. Overall the meal was just filling enough.

The restaurant is quite small but the service was impeccable. The one waiter topped up our water whenever we needed it.

For a good, reasonably priced restaurant in Central you can't go wrong.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Heydon M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
“Vegetarian dishes, that's why we went there”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Using one of the engine searches, we keyed in 1) vegetarian and 2) French food, found this restaurant.

Good location, as it is still around SoHo area. The restaurant only has eight tables for two, so it can only accommodate 16 guests. Reservation is recommended. Even though it wasn't full when we went there during working days.

I like the fact that the restaurant management supports the effort to hire the senior citizens. I noticed all of the waiters are senior citizens, there is no issue with the service and politeness.

I was expecting to have real French food, but this restaurant offers western/European food in general; variety of pasta, fish, chicken, but not specific French food.

So I had soup of the day and green salad (no dressing), and deep fried mushroom with some sauce. That's the only vegetarian dish on the dinner menu, other than the vegetarian pasta. Chocolate melted cake for dessert was okay, the inner part should be more melted, according to my opinion.

• Visited June 2013
Manila, Philippines
“Nice ambiance, great for quiet dinner”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My HK local friend brought me to this place, and she told me it was a French restaurant and it's a social enterprise that contributes to the elderly. So I was expecting it had a French setting and menu. The menu is definitely more general European rather than specifically French. But not a problem, the food was great. I'm not a pro food critic or anything but I can tell that the dishes were made with great flavors, obviously made with fresh ingredients and presence of a combination of flavors was evident. The portions were actually huge, contrary again to the typical French servings which are small. These are more American portions :-)

The restaurant is quiet, dimly light, so it's perfect for a quiet romantic dinner, although I was there with a fellow girl friend whom I haven't seen for a long time - nevertheless, we wanted a quiet place where we could talk :-) Good thing is that the restaurant was empty when we arrived (it was Monday) so if we made more noise than is expected, no one was bothered :-) Later that night, a couple came in to join us at the first level. The restaurant was 2 floors. The 1st level had about 4 tables, area is small but quaint.

The waiters, as expected were the elderly, and this nice gentleman made sure our food was okay, the drinks were filled and our dining experience was great. As mentioned by my friend, it's a social enterprise where they hire the elderly to work in the restaurant.

It's tucked in a quiet street just blocks away from the hustle and bustle of Central, so very accessible.

Price was expensive though.

• Visited August 2012
Hong Kong, China
“A miserable and infuriating dining experience”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Let's get one thing straight, there is nothing French about this restaurant. It was opened by some guy with a veggie patch out in the sticks. The last time I sent back my foie gras because of its insipid, hockey puck texture I was offered Dutch herring as an alternative, or a black tomato - that's it, just a tomato, as the first course. The US$27 second course lobster bisque was presented with a cold little yabby floating on top and at the bottom there was two frozen halves of scallops thrown in which had a rancid aftertaste. Seven years in Hong Kong this was by far the most miserable, infuriating dining experience I have ever had, it got to the point where I just paid the bill half way through the inedible meal and stormed out of the restaurant.

PS - I have recently decided to name and shame all the overrated rubbish eateries in Hong Kong where the restaurant owners could not careless about the food but your hard earned dosh.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Navitimer1881
Katherine, Australia
“Great food, excellent service”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Food was great and reasonably priced, excellent wine! Service was fantastic , waiters are all retirees who really love their jobs! Nice and intimate space.

• Visited January 2012