“Best social enterprise restaurant in Hong Kong”
Review of Gingko House

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sheung Wan
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Gingko houses, one serving Chinese cuisine (near Prince Edward MTR station on Kowloon side) and one serving western cuisine (in Lan Kwai Fong area on Hong Kong side), impressed us with their consistently excellent food quality, reasonable prices and efficient and pleasant services. Set up as community economic development/social enterprise ventures that promotes organic farming and employment for retired seniors in Hong Kong, its food and service quality are competitive with many of the mid-price range popular restaurants that we have been to in Hong kong.
The Chinese cuisine restaurant is a popular hangout, after we got a table around 6:30 p.m. by 7:00 p.m. on a weeknight there was a line up for seats already. For $230 HK ($30 US) you can get a combination of one vegetarian dish and one meat dish, and each day of the week the combo looks well matched and very appetizing. We got their specialty chicken and mixed mushroom dishes and they were both amazing. In addition, don't forget to try their tea-leaves egg for appetizer, it's one of the best we ever had. The restaurants use their own organically farmed vegetables and employed retired seniors as staff for their restaurants. Our waiter is a 78 year old man who's a retired engineer and is super efficient, sharp and pleasant. We would definitely go there again sometime.

1  Thank Alan L
There are newer reviews for Gingko House

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was excited to find this little treasure with organic meats, herbal drinks and very pleasant staff.

Healthy restaurants are hard to come by in HK and this place offered a Delicious healthy menu, interesting dishes and drinks (beetroot tea was excellent) reasonable prices and wait for it...even great service.

To boot, the place is at the end of gough street, a hipster haven with neat little shops - certainly worth a visit

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We tried the Chinese New Year Menu after looking for a restaurant nearby. Only 250 HKD per person for a 3 course meal. The tables were nice + candle lit but the place is quite small.

The starter was Salad + Prosciutto wrapped scallops.

For main I had Pork cheek with baked fish. The pork was 80% bones but the fish was delicious.

Desert we had a radish cake for Chinese new year + lemon tea. Overall the meal was just filling enough.

The restaurant is quite small but the service was impeccable. The one waiter topped up our water whenever we needed it.

For a good, reasonably priced restaurant in Central you can't go wrong.

1  Thank Heydon M
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Using one of the engine searches, we keyed in 1) vegetarian and 2) French food, found this restaurant.

Good location, as it is still around SoHo area. The restaurant only has eight tables for two, so it can only accommodate 16 guests. Reservation is recommended. Even though it wasn't full when we went there during working days.

I like the fact that the restaurant management supports the effort to hire the senior citizens. I noticed all of the waiters are senior citizens, there is no issue with the service and politeness.

I was expecting to have real French food, but this restaurant offers western/European food in general; variety of pasta, fish, chicken, but not specific French food.

So I had soup of the day and green salad (no dressing), and deep fried mushroom with some sauce. That's the only vegetarian dish on the dinner menu, other than the vegetarian pasta. Chocolate melted cake for dessert was okay, the inner part should be more melted, according to my opinion.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

My HK local friend brought me to this place, and she told me it was a French restaurant and it's a social enterprise that contributes to the elderly. So I was expecting it had a French setting and menu. The menu is definitely more general European rather than specifically French. But not a problem, the food was great. I'm not a pro food critic or anything but I can tell that the dishes were made with great flavors, obviously made with fresh ingredients and presence of a combination of flavors was evident. The portions were actually huge, contrary again to the typical French servings which are small. These are more American portions :-)

The restaurant is quiet, dimly light, so it's perfect for a quiet romantic dinner, although I was there with a fellow girl friend whom I haven't seen for a long time - nevertheless, we wanted a quiet place where we could talk :-) Good thing is that the restaurant was empty when we arrived (it was Monday) so if we made more noise than is expected, no one was bothered :-) Later that night, a couple came in to join us at the first level. The restaurant was 2 floors. The 1st level had about 4 tables, area is small but quaint.

The waiters, as expected were the elderly, and this nice gentleman made sure our food was okay, the drinks were filled and our dining experience was great. As mentioned by my friend, it's a social enterprise where they hire the elderly to work in the restaurant.

It's tucked in a quiet street just blocks away from the hustle and bustle of Central, so very accessible.

Price was expensive though.