“Perfect... and cheap!”

Ranked #383 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
perth wa
“Perfect... and cheap!”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We stayed here for next to nothing. The staff were friendly, room clean, nice and the mini bar cheap. They had a big TV, lots of free movies, internet and and airconditioning. The most important thing however was that it was very close to the train-about a one minute walk. I would highly reccommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbcbcbcb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2009

For just HKD270, you get a single room, comfy bed with proper linen, complete with free wifi, interactive lcd tv with free on-demand movies (not fuzzy pirated images)/music/online radio stations from all over the world (select country then radio station then play, although BBC 1/2/3 didn't work but Capital was fine - 2nd hotel I've been to with built-in online radio, the other being Pullman Bangkok), Pioneer hifi speakers, electrical sockets, flask, coffee/tea, wardrobe, dvd player (hidden in wardrobe), mini-fridge, paper slippers, alarm clock (mine wasn't crazy), proper toilet with glass door shower stall with rainforest shower head (fantastic water pressure, glass door closes properly no water spilling all over the place), toilet bowl with dual water-saving functions, sink and storage below it.

Yes the room is tiny (L-shaped), but that's because the toilet is of decent size. I've stayed in different hostels, from Hotel USA to Yess In, and for the same price MOTW is a godsend, they've got bathrooms where your body can actually move and have a decent shower.

Recep girls didn't smile alot but when I told them my speakers couldn't work, they promised to fix it and by the time I got back, it was done. When I enquired with the night shift guy he wasn't informed of the problem, but immediately went up to check. Such attentive service. The only thing I couldn't figure out was the skype phone, but didn't bother.

There's also 2 laptops in the lobby for surfing, but if you need to print boarding pass (which is unnecessary), its HKD10 per copy.

The MTR exit is 30 seconds away. diagonally across the street, there's a Fairway next to the hotel, no funny smell anywhere although the famous Hoi Mei Gai (chinese shops selling raw seafood) is nearby. Fantastic location if you ask me, but those coming from the airport should take note, it's better to take bus A11 (HKD40) than the Airport Express simply because it is cheaper, more convenient and faster. Get off at the 4th stop (buses are equipped with electronic signage), then find your way into Wing Lok steeet (about 5 to 10 min walk).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank t-puk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I was apprehensive about booking a stay here after reading the mixed reviews, but I decided to go ahead since the most recent reviews were pretty decent. Well, I totally lived to regret it. The day I arrived at the hotel, I was given a single room on the 9th floor - that was already occupied by a male guest. The gentleman in the room was equally confused, and he called the reception to tell them about the mix-up. I returned downstairs and was asked to wait. No explanation was given by the staff about why my room was already occupied. Fifteen minutes later, one of the staff told me my room's ready and escorted me upstairs to the 9th floor, and back to the same room I was given earlier. The male guest who had earlier occupied the room was moved to the room next door. I didn't know if he had entered the wrong room by mistake (although as to how he could have entered my room with another room's key card, I had no idea), or if the staff had given the both of us the same room key. Either way, I didn't know because no explanation was offered by the staff.

On my second day at the hotel, I returned in the afternoon to find my room door unlocked. Thankfully, nothing was stolen. I complained to the staff at the reception, but again, no apology or explanation was given. That evening, I decided to leave the hotel and move to another one. I'm a woman travelling alone, and I felt that my safety was being compromised at Mingle. The staff at Mingle refused to refund the unused portion of my stay, and again, made no effort to apologise for my horrid experience at their property.

Safety issues aside, the rooms here are dreadfully small. There's no room to put your luggage, the bed is sandwiched in between the wall and wardrobe, and the sink in the bathroom is so small that water gets everywhere when you use it. The walls of the hotel are also dreadfully thin, my first and only night at Mingle was spent awake, accompanied by the noise of slamming doors and the muffled conversations of guests in the other rooms. Also, the clock radio in my room went off at random times throughout the night. I'm not a light sleeper, but I didn't manage to get any sleep at all in Mingle. You'd have to be dead to sleep through the noise.

All in all, I will not recommend staying at this hotel unless you don't mind putting your own safety at risk or dealing with ignorant staff who don't seem to understand much English. Pay a little more and go somewhere else. I did, and moved to The Cityview, where I was rewarded with a clean, quiet, bigger and safe room and extremely attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank intransit111
schungx, owner at Mingle Place On The Wing, responded to this review, 23 July 2009
We appologize for this total disaster!

The man in the room was our in-house maintenance technician, who was doing some small fixup work in the room. He notified the front-desk that the work was done, but then found out when crossing out his tasks list that he forget something, and went back to get it done. The front desk receptionist, meanwhile, checked you in without knowing that the technician was in the room. It was a mis-communication error on our part, and we are really sorry for any inconveniences caused to you!

The technician moved to the next room because he was doing work in all of the 9/F rooms on that day.

If you do intend to stay here again (please give us another chance!), please accept a complementary upgrade to a Delux Room as our compensation for your sufferings! Cite this review when you make your booking.

Thanks for staying with us!

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

- Very clean and trendy
- Free internet at the Lobby
- Nice staff

One Negative Thing about this Hotel:
- Very small rooms. Which didn't bother me or my friend! We were in Hong Kong to site see. Not to hangout at the hotel. This hotel really served our purpose - to sleep.

Definitely would stay here again!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mdvu
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I have stayed at many different places in HK, and this was a big surprise. To be warned, the room is tiny, but it's incredibly efficiently designed. 1 min walk from MTR. They have free wifi and free wired broadband, which seems to less common these days in HK. There is an LCD TV with a wide selection of free movies to watch, and a DVD player if you bring your own (if you are coming from the Mainland you may have acquired a few.) You are also able to attach your Ipod to the sound system. There is a Skype-based phone, which I have never seen before. The bed is not hard as a rock, as is the usual in China. The biggest surprise was there was a private balcony almost as big as the room itself! I got my room for less than 40 USD.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank quietshoes
Sydney
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I had a business trip to Korea, and took a couple of night stopover in HK on the way back home to Sydney. This rate was cheap and I was sceptical about booking. Yes, my single room was small, but sparkling clean and fresh. Unless you want to work or spend all day in the room it should not be a problem. There was the usual outside noise, as you will get anywhere in HK, but closing the window soon fixed this.

While some reviewers mentioned about the mis-alignment of the bathroom mirror and shadows caused by lighting, I did not notice this as a problem. I don't think you would get a bathroom, minibar, or DVD player in your room at this price elsewhere in this central location.

I was satisfied with this hotel. In fact I was checking reviews again because I am suprised again by the low price available for my next visit to HK! and will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SydneyTraveller001
BKK
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Accommodation??? depends on our style and the purpose of our travels.

A trip to Hong Kong was such a nice trip,"Mingle on The Wing" gave me a nice place to get sleep.

I have been to Hong Kong to take a sit for the US nursing license examination with Pearson Test Center at Grand Millennium Plaza locates in Central Island and because I like travelling myself,so I prefer to hire a safe, clean and convenient place for my relaxation period and more important in style to be fit.

I like "Mingle on The Wing" as it could give me most of what I want, good location just one minute walk from Sheung Wan, MRT station to get anywhere else around this island. To see most of attractions is not so difficult in minimal expense.

I met "Mingle" at "Wotif.com" after I had been searching all around from other websites for 3 night stay on 21-23 April. I realise at first from theirs photos that this hotel is not a type of "stand alone building hotel" as many hotels I have seen.I also got some reviews about it here before,however after I had a look in details I finally decided to book "standard room" in advance.

I arrived in HK around 9 pm,after getting "Airport Express" to travel to HK station to reach Central Exit, although I could then get the hotel by MRT but I tried a taxi which is $ 18 for 5 minutes.

When I checked in at the hotel,the 'Standard room" I had been booking was not available the staff who speaks English quiet well upgraded me to "Superior type" without any more payment for the first night. The photos about them I have attached with this review you can compare for yourself.

Including a short distance to Grand Millennium for my test, I also easily had much of time to visit "The Giant Buddha" at Nging Ping Village by Nging Ping Cable Car, walk around Central Area in Soho, Take a ferry to Kowloon, Try a Peak Tram to have a fresh breath on the top of HK at Peak Tower where I got many nice souvenirs back to Thailand for my friends.

Nearby the hotel, there are two "7 eleven", qualified restaurants for tourists, fresh fruits shop for collecting, after daily trip I love hot shower at room,enjoy LCD TV + Bloomberg,Discovery and Fox channel in nice and clean bed without any allergies.

The rooms in Mingle do not have strong smell, the light and security systems are perfect, I felt safe and really had nice sleep through all three nights.

Yes! I will certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who are seeking an unique hotel in reasonable price.

"Mingle on The Wing" is my style!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business