“This place needs some sprucing up”

Mingle Place On The Wing
Ranked #370 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“This place needs some sprucing up”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Had stayed in Mingle on the Wing 2 years ago and was pretty impressed by it superb location and value for money. Was rather disappointed when I returned this month, the room condition has deteriorated - varnish on furnitures has faded, dusty in nooks and corners, and what's more shocking, there were giant silverfishes crawling beneath the wash basin! It's no longer value for money. Unless there is a major renovation, I won't be staying at Mingle Place again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MarcusLiSGP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
chandigarh
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The single room is small but a good value for money for its cleanliness, location and the comforts provided in it

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2010

The hotel is very small, there was some confusion during check-in, but everything went on well after that. The room was also very small but the technology was very impressive, the wake up alarm was also great and the bathroom was very clean. The hotel is very near the metro station so it was quite convenient for us! We traveled with our 3 year old daughter and she was very happy to find some of her favorite cartoons on their list!
Advise: you need to talk very slow and make sure they really understand what you are saying, don't assume that they know what you mean. You need to get the code for the free internet from reception desk. Also get the outlet converter while you're there too.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank DocAppleV
Shanghai
Reviewed 20 June 2010

After I stayed a night in a terrible hotel, I finally changed to come to the Mingle. I was a bit scared after read what was written on tripadvisor!

Finally, it's a good place. I was in the "Lite Room" and for the price you get what you need. Fast and free internet, a shower/toilet and a bed for 1.5 person. A flat TV is added but don't try to work there as the table is definitly not a desk, or you will need your pillow on your seat... The bed was comfortable. The telephone was down as well as the light of the bed. The TV channels are not interesting.

The service isn't amazing but they are not bad. Smilling when you smile, a special thanks to the womens who clean the room that were very funny and speak a little english.

Close to the subway (30 seconds by walk from Sheung Wan station), a few minutes walk to the mid levels and Central. There is a coffee shop downstir that is not very interesting. We can't use the internet of the hotel :/

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I found this place for HK400 which seemed like quite a good deal. When I saw the size of my room, however, I understood why - it was the tiniest room that I have ever seen in my life! This didn't bother me so much as I was travelling solo, though I found the whole high tech gadget thing extremely annoying. You can't even reach out and flick a switch to turn the light off - it's all done by a stupid remote control that's really hard to figure out! Then the lights went in my room and didn't come back on, so I was moved to a single (from a superior single) which, staggeringly, was even smaller than my first room! Was pretty annoyed at being downgraded as the least they could have done was upgraded me! Luckily I was only there for one night and was leaving at 6 the next morning so I didn't have to spend long there. It's not an entirely unpleasant place to stay but make sure you don't get downgraded - it's not fun!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Only plus here was free broadband, but rooms tiny and poorly laid out. Seating at desk was so low I had to reach up and over to even get to my keyboard! Described as the ideal business hotel, one would have to say it fell well short of that benchmark. Not recxommended

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Singapore
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I had a good first impression
- good location (just a minute's walk to Sheung Wan MTR station)
- Warm friendly welcome by day staff. Even the cleaners were bright and cheery! Staff speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
- I had a single room which was modern, nice and clean. (I had superb water pressure from my two shower heads - rain shower and handheld)
- Free WiFi

However....
- The advertised technological gadgetry didn't work in my room. I brought it to their attention - they said they would fix it but they didn't. I was only in the room late at night so it didn't bother me much. My keycard failed on the first night - took me awhile to finally get a working traditional key, but was up and running for the rest of the stay.

- My Hong Kong friends say the hotel has a 'reputation' since it offers hourly and cheaper 'one night only' rates. I was alright with it - funny encounter in the elevator with an 'interesting' person :) Just so you know.

- Staff on late night duty (second night) was slightly unpleasant. All I wanted was my key but she was more interested in her phone conversation. I understand very little cantonese but I know it wasn't about work. She barked at me to sit down and wait. Was quite taken a back.

But it was cheap.. got a clean, pleasant albeit small room. Did I mention the super water pressure? Loves it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Disjecta
schungx, Owner at Mingle Place On The Wing, responded to this review, 10 April 2010
We are very sorry for the misunderstanding. The Mingle Place Group does run another boutique hotel in nearby Central (Mingle At The Eden) -- branded as the perfect hide-out paradise in the Central area, which provides hourly rates.

However, you can be rest assured that Mingle on The Wing offers rooms at least on a daily basis and never by the hour.

As for the other issues you encountered, we'll make sure to improve on those! Thanks for your support!

- Stephen (Mingle Place)