“Convenient location, bad housekeeping” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mingle Place On The Wing

Mingle Place On The Wing
Ranked #363 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Convenient location, bad housekeeping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We wanted a room for a night's sleep before catching an early flight out of Hong Kong. The location of this hotel worked well for us and it was better priced than other options.

The taxi driver had never heard of a hotel on Wing Lok Street, but the staff was able to give him directions over the phone.

We checked in a little after midnight. When we entered our room, we were dismayed to see big dust balls in plain sight on the floor. We complained and immediately got another room which was cleaner. The telephone in the room did not seem to work, although it was a fancy-looking branded phone; we had to call the front desk on our mobile phone! The room size was within expectations for this price range in Hong Kong. As for sleep quality, we were really tired and managed to sleep quite well through the night.

We did not pay "anything goes" room rates, though. The big dust balls really showed how much housekeeping cared. I have little confidence in this property and do not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

I've stayed here on two occasions throughout 2010. I only needed a room for 12 hours or so whilst in HK for meetings so couldn't justify paying up for a decent hotel. Accordingly, I stayed here. Location is good. Price is good. Free Wifi is good. Nothing else is. It is dirty. All the technology overviewed on the hotel website simply doesn't work - eg the swipe card to my room didn't work so I had to go back to reception and get a good, old key. Suggest you stay at Bishop Lei on Robinson Rd if you're looking at budget hotels in HK.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FamilyfromBris

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

The hotel is within a minute's walk from Sheung Wan MTR station. I stayed there for 3 nights. 2 nights in a Lite room and 1 night in a Standard room. If you are a sole traveller, Lite room is good enough. Standard room comes with a King size bed but the room size is almost similar.

If you are sensitive to noise like myself, please DO NOT stay in this hotel. The hotel has very poor sound insulation between rooms. Every night I can hear loud noise caused by running water or ventilation fan. Your bed is likely to share the same wall as the bathroom of the room next to yours. There is no sound insulation at all.

Furthermore, the rooms are not maintained well. Some problems I encountered include broken shower hose, faulty TV, air-con with noise and broken bathroom door.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel during Chinese New Year in 2009 - so a little while ago, but I'm especially blessed with a good memory, and we were chatting about our stay here just yesterday, which prompted me to write down our experience anyway.

We chose this hotel because of its reasonable pricing during the national holiday. And because of it convenient location in Sheung Wan. It was literally a minute walk to the MTR station and walking distance from the Macau ferry terminal (a day /overnight visit I can definitely recommend to those staying in Hong Kong for a good few days), and with plenty of Chinese/Western breakfast options.

The room itself was very clean, crisp white and despite being officially 'The Smallest Room We've Ever Stayed In', it had everything we needed. Also, there was free internet on 2 computers at the reception, which is always a plus as I'm aware that still most hotels literally rob your wallet when it comes to using their internet facilities.

Now why do I mention that it's good for shorter people? Two reasons:
- The room was really so small that we joked 'Oh dear, one of us is definitely going to trip over the suitcase at some point.' 15 minutes later, the man did exactly that. And I had a good laugh at him, before going through exactly the same the next day.
- The beds! Before I go into this, my disclaimer: I'm half Hong Kong Chinese, and I LOVE my country of origin and its people. However it must be noted that the Chinese are often not the tallest people on the planet. Therefore, some establishments will have thought of this, some won't, or some don't have the space to. We think Mingle On The Wing falls under the third category, as there was just no way a longer bed could fit into the room. My partner, standing 6" tall (1.83 m), had his feet and ankles firmly sticking out when lying down. I could just about fit in with my 5.6" (1.70 m). He didn't mind too much, but admits that it's not too comfortable and will be looking for possibly a western chain hotel for the next visit. If you're staying for just a few nights and are as tall or taller, it's doable but not any longer.

The only other concern we had was that in our room at least, there was only one tiny window above our bed which did not allow for viewing outside. So if you really feel the need to be able to look outside, this isn't the place for you. Mind you, should you not be staying in one of the spectacular 5 star hotels in the city, you're more often going to be treated to looking into another flat rather than any stunning city views anyhow. DO keep this in mind when travelling to a place like Hong Kong. The views always come with a price tag!

All in all, if you're my height or shorter, and if your main value is a decent location for a stopover, yes, it's fine. However, if you're staying more than 2-3 nights, have a lot of luggage and/or if you're my partners height, consider staying at any of the many western chains found throughout Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, should you have the budget.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HelenAmsterdam
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

When I booked this place online I really wasn't sure what I would get. A friend had stayed here on route to Korea and said the room was small, so I was worried considering I was travelling with a small child.

At the end of the day, it was just what we needed. Yes the room was small, but apparently just about every room in HK is, and it was big enough to fit the three of us in nicely.

The location is excellent. A minutes walk from the front door to the entrance of the Shwuen Wan MTR station (HK is SO EASY on the MTR), 15 minute walk to the Victoria Peak tram, and the food......the best Asian food IMHO is the "hole in the wall" and there are plenty of those nearby. About 5 minutes walk to Lin Heung, one of the best Chinese restuarants in the city.

One small issue is the air conditioning. The temperature must drop about 10 degrees as you walk in the front door. That's nice, but it's a bit of a shock to the system when you walk back outside into the 30+ C / 90% humdity. It's like that on the MTR as well - lots of great air conditioning, but remember you will have to go outside some time.

Great free WI-Fi, very fast. Two English speaking TV stations that I could find, plus Asian Channel V. Staff were great, and we kept our luggage in the foyer for free on check out day (7:30pm flight). Also, checkin for most international flights can be done at Central station, just a station up from Shwuen Wan which is just ridiculously convenient.

This is a really good place to explore HK from and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ramblinman101
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

The hotel is so difficult to find, it is located near the dried food stalls behind the main road. When we arrived, it was a bit modern however it was too small. You would think it's not a hotel. The staff are friendly and nice. The door was so difficult to open, we had to force open them and we did that every time. The hotel is located in Hong Kong Island so the food and everything else are expensive. The room and bathroom are too small. It was very hard to walk around, my boyfriend and I would always bump into each other when walking. We did sleep comfortably though. I will not stay in this hotel again, I'd rather be at Tsim Sha Tsui area where accommodation and food are waaaay cheaper.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Had stayed in Mingle on the Wing 2 years ago and was pretty impressed by it superb location and value for money. Was rather disappointed when I returned this month, the room condition has deteriorated - varnish on furnitures has faded, dusty in nooks and corners, and what's more shocking, there were giant silverfishes crawling beneath the wash basin! It's no longer value for money. Unless there is a major renovation, I won't be staying at Mingle Place again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo