“Service can be improved, but the food is good.”

Life Cafe (a.k.a. Organic Restaurant & Bar)
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Hong Kong, China
“Service can be improved, but the food is good.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Food is special overall, staff with attitude occasionally, some really annoying management instructions regarding some items in the menu that can only be "take away" and cannot be eaten at the restaurant.
I think they should hand out a questioner to clients to see where and how to improve service, because the menu works fine.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reading, United Kingdom
“Weekday brunch menu is flawed”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

After so many amazing dinners and weekend brunches I stopped for an odd weekday brunch which left me frustrated and disappointed. The menu offers a lot which is actually unavailable. No wholewheat croissant, muffin, and embarrassingly no granola/muesli bowls, or the fruit plate "As we only have banana and Apple on weekdays." Well, simply DON'T offer the menu as it is if so much can't be provided for! Plus the single lady working downstairs seemed overworked having to handle 3 customers, walk-ins, and stock deliveries and was thus a little irritable. The colleague who joined her at 11 should start at 10. Compared to the weekends I felt as if I was being awkward in just being there. Not on a weekday again. If you can't source the right stock, why should I bring my custom?'

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank jgp1991
London, United Kingdom
“Organic Food”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Life is an organic vegetarian restaurant right in the middle of soho, along the escalator. It caters to the eating food in a healthy and green way. The place has a very rustic feel, and can get quite busy at lunch/dinner so make sure you book in advance. The food is actually pretty good with quite a varied extensive selection even offering gluten free options. The pasta with Italian veg sausage is my favourite but there’s definitely something to suit everyone, they even has organic sangria.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Smeets P
Hong Kong
“Wholesome tasty stuff”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We have visited the Shelley Street restaurant a few times over the years, but I am now cheating slightly by reviewing the Discovery Bay branch where we had lunch about six weeks ago.

First off - the menu was enticing. We took a while to make up our minds before ordering. We were feeling quite smug because (I) we were not going to eat meat and (2) whatever we ordered would be organic. Well, I had the veggie burger or something similar and my wife had a salad. The lemonade which I asked for never arrived and I did have to ask for that to be deducted from the bill (it was).

The service was otherwise OK, not fantastic, but they were very busy. The food was certainly wholesome and tasty. Prices are a bit on the high side, but not outrageous. If you don't feel too virtuous, choose some of their Oxford organic ale (Brakspear brand, I think).

We'll be back some time, maybe to the DB branch or Shelley Street, but perhaps as an occasional treat rather than a regular feeding station.

• Visited March 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Fresh and healthy vegetarian food”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I love vegetarian food, and life is a great restaurant overall. It's mid range in terms of prices, and the menu offers great variety in terms of salads, hot food such as pasta, noodles and burgers, breakfasts and really good smoothies and drinks. However, for me, the best stuff at life is actually the take away food. The cakes (especially the carrot cake) are really great, the salads are fantastic, as are the tofu wraps and sandwiches. These really are a good value lunch.