“Impressive....”

Nanjing City Wall (Ming City Wall)
Ranked #6 of 412 things to do in Nanjing
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had other plans for the day but somehow ended walking this wall and was very impressed without knowing at the time any of the history of the wall. You get great views to Xuanwuhu Lake and park below, the Purple Mountain district and the city. I walked this wall and continued walking to look at Pipa and Qian Lakes. About two years ago I cycled the Xi'an city wall which has a bigger reputation than Nanjing's wall but to me the views from Nanjing's wall are more impressive. Nanjing's wall does not seem to attract the Chinese visitor numbers like Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum and the Xiaoling Mausoleum of Ming Dynasty. I found myself walking a large part of the wall alone. Tip: Make sure you have good walking shoes as the surface is uneven.

2  Thank Charles G
"gates"
in 13 reviews
"xian"

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A great story behind this wall with a great view from the top to the outer areas of the city. Back in the day you would have had to crazy to try and penetrate all four gates to get through the city wall! If the archers didn't get you the soldiers running out of the hidden dens would've definitely chopped you up.

1  Thank anj m
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I couldn't help thinking, as we approached Nanjing, of the sorrowful history of the massacre in 1937, I thought the city would still have a pall hanging over it but not at all.

It is a thriving, happy bustling place, situated at the foot of a mountain but very flat in itself as most chinese cities are, very clean and not an overt trace of that terrible event.
We stopped at the original city wall which, we are told, is the longest original city wall remaining on the planet (although I'm sure there's plenty of other claimants) The one
interesting fact that stuck in my mind was that the Chinese hadn't discovered mortar at the time the wall was built and so they used a mixture that included "sticky rice" and "Tong Oil" (whatever that is) to hold things together .
Seems to have worked well because it's still standing after 600 years!

After a short tour of the wall we checked into our Hotel which was the Nanjing Holiday Inn,
We had a fabulous buffet style meal for dinner and then we headed out to explore the city's shopping area, which is built around its main canal.
It was heaving with mostly young people, romantic music playing in the streets and canal boats by the hundreds swishing by, each one of them loaded to the gunwhales with passengers.
We decided to take a boatride ourselves and it was well worth the $3 or so just to see how they had designed the canalside buildings so well that they could go on standing for another 1000 years. We plied our way under little granite bridges and made a turn at the very spot we had been earlier on the city wall , a forty five minute ride for $3 , the only other place you'd get value like that is on sampan down the Mekong River!
There's such a sense of harmony in these hugely populated cities that it's hard to understand why we have so much trouble in ours.Many adult couples were out doing ballroom dancing in the open air and it's sweet to see the young couples showing affection as they walk along.
Another thing is that you quite often see teenage boys or grown men walking along holding hands, my own guide took hold of my hand and I instinctively pulled back. My wife, who is Chinese , told me not to be so uptight and that it was perfectly natural, he was just treating me like I was his kid!
We visited the Nanjing Bridge, an engineering marvel in its day, and, housed in one of the towers, we found a gallery where a famous chinese artist paints designs on the inside of glass bottles. Exquisite art , a bit expensive but it's better than taking a piece of junk home.We bought a miniature glass teapot for about $250 and it now has pride of place on the mantlepiece.
When you have time to think about it, most of the Chinese cities I have visited have the same look and feel ... busy and full of bikes,high rises and restaurants. This one had a little more of a carefree nature to it and was a wonderful experience.
I always warn people when I do these reviews.
1. go to the bathroom in your hotel. Your chances of finding a clean western style washroom while you're out are remote, although it's getting better. If you are caught short then head for a western hotel or a western franchise restaurant they are always clean.
2, ALWAYS take toilet paper with you wherever you go, if you don't you'll be very sorry.

enjoy.
BillC

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This wall is placed between jiming temple and xuanwu lake.. i don't really have a plan to went here but since i have to cross it so it doesn't hurt to take a look.. the wall was really big and long, it reminds me of great wall only this one located in the middle of the city.. when i went there the snow was pouring so it makes the view more beautiful..

If you plan to go to jiming temple and xuanwu lake, take a look at this one, you not gonna be regret...