“Good hotel, good pool, not such good food”
Review of The Westin Nanjing

The Westin Nanjing
Ranked #6 of 1,969 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Comfortable place to stay and good value for money. They have a large indoor pool, though it does seem to get busy in the evening. I wasn't impressed with the dinner buffet (nothing very exciting to eat, and not much difference from one day to another. For breakfast the pre-cooked fried eggs were cold but the chef refused to cook me one to order.

The bedroom is a decent size, clean and modern, though it took me a while to find the power socket for the desk. The bathroom follows the modern "open plan" style, with two (sliding) doors and an opaque screen (which does make it lighter). Unfortunately, some aspects of the design are more for appearance than practicality (a "joystick" to control the waterflow and temperature in the handbasin and an oddly shaped and undulating stand for the shampoos and lotions).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear TheProbe,

Greetings from The Westin Nanjing, and thank you for taking the time to give us your recent stay experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and pool. However, please do accept my apology for not having up to your expectations with food, I already addressed these issues to related F&B teams, we are in progress of upgrading and improving more tasty buffet selections. Once again, Thank you so much for valuable feedbacks, I hope we have the chance to welcome you again in very near further and make you have a more comfortable and enjoyable stay!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was my first time to Nanjing and I didn't know what to expect, but the Westin here was excellent. The location is really good, in front of a lake and only a couple of minutes walk from the subway. Like any Chinese city, traffic is getting worse, so it is so convenient to take the metro everywhere. The lake looks very nice but unfortunately I did not have time to walk around it. The rooms are nice a light and I had a great view, and was very happy to see they have the Westin beds. Breakfast is good and the service in the hotel is very helpful and friendly. The service especially in the bar is very nice and friendly. I will definitely return on my next trip to Nanjing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JacksonLau
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Jacksonlau,
Warm greetings from the Westin Nanjing, and thank you so much for take the time post such nice comments on tripadvisor. I’m delight to hear that you have an uplifting and enjoyable stay in Nanjing, and our staff was friendly and accommodating. I have already passed on your words to our teams, it is inspiring for everyone here that we were able to meet your satisfaction. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedbacks, we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have stayed here a few times, but have not reviewed until now. The hotel lives up to the standards you expect from Westin. Service, staff, rooms, restaurant, and overall condition are excellent. I thought the staff at breakfast was extremely attentive as well as in the lobby bar one evening. I am a gold SPG member and I highly reccomend this property as one of the nicer Westins in China.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Mark S,
Thank you so much for you posting a kind feedback on Tripadvisor, and everyone here hopes that you are well. I was delighted to hear that you had such a great time at the Westin Nanjing and also especially enjoyed our service. We most certainly look forward to your return and will do our best to exceed your expectations and make your future stays are even more comfortable and refreshing!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is located straight in front of a subway station, so it can easiliy be reached. Furthermore, there is a gate through the ming wall also in front of the hotel, so e lovely lake and the pedestrian area next to the it, can be reached within minutes.
The lobby is situated on the 23rd floor, so you will be asking for a room with a view at the lake and you can see miles over Nanjing. There is only one restaurant on the 23 rd floor where you can breakfast etc. When we stayed there, they had a nice buffet in the evening and also breakfast was great. They also have a cosy bar on the same floor with dark wooden floors, leather sofas etc. A good place to rest.
Spa and fitness with swimming pool are on the 8 th floor. This is the only nuisance in this hotel. There are only three lift and you can be sure to wait quite some time in front of it during rush hour.
Service was good and checking in also very swift, same a check out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear RSF15,
Greetings from The Westin Nanjing, and thank you so much for taking the time to share your stay experience on Tripadvisor. We are all delighted to hear what a great Xuanwu Lake experience you had and that our staff were able to bring you a memorable and relaxing stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience with elevators and rest assured that we continue to do everything possible to improve the current situation. I most certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback again.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We moved to the Westin Nanjing for 2 nights at the end of January 2014 after a horrible experience at the Sofitel Galaxy Nanjing just down the road (for which we've posted a separate review).

The Westin Nanjing contains all that you expect from a quality 5-star establishment. It is well located, just around the corner from the busy Hunan Road and adjacent to a large shopping mall. Check in was efficient and the front desk staff were very professional. Our room was spacious and had a great view of Xuanwu lake.

The Buffet breakfast had great variety and served freshly squeezed juice. We were also happy with the gym facilities - the gym was spacious and had very modern equipment. One minor annoyance - a lot of the gym staff were playing on their phones infront of guests. While this doesn't really affect guests' experience but it does seem a little unprofessional. Overalls, though, we greatly enjoyed our experience at the Westin.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cyjy
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Cyiy,
Warm greetings from Nanjing, and I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Nanjing for your recent stay. I’m thrilled to hear that this is an enjoyable 5-star experience you expected during your stay, and had a enjoyment of xuanwu lake view from your room.Please do accept my sincere apology for the disappointment you encountered at Gym and I appreciate your time to indicate this issue that we need to improve. I have spoken to the Workout Team, and we will be carrying out some further training to ensure that we always maintain the highest levels of professionalism. I do hope that we can welcome you back soon to The Westin Nanjing.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Traveled a lot in China, but always struggled to find a soft bed, a quiet and clean-smelling room, and helpful but not overwhelmingly "friendly" staff. The Westin Nanjing got it just right, plus a LOT of extras: Xuan Wu Lake, away from the crazy downtown traffic but close enough to get to EVERYTHING, breakfast buffet, and ...! Too bad it was only a two-night one-day visit. And the service - PERFECTO! Can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Michael D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear KYC1988,
Warm greetings from The Westin Nanjing, and thank you so much for sharing such nice feedback with us. I’m so delighted to read that you found everything perfect as you expected at our Westin Nanjing, as well as enjoyed a wonderful moment of the Xuanwu Lake during your tour of China. I have already passed on your words to our teams, it is inspiring for everyone here that we were able to meet your satisfaction. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback, we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel brings you to Nanjing.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Booked a Club room for the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The service in the Club is excellent. The girls are very attentive and go the extra mile. After I checked in downstairs I went up to the room and then on to the club for happy hour. Asked the girl "ella or ellie?"about why the gentleman downstairs said I was upgraded to a club floor when I actually booked a club room to begin with. She said that for the weekend, if you are Gold or P status you get upgraded to the club floor. I was a bit sad that I did not know that prior to booking as it cost more to book a club. 10 minutes later the nice girl came to me and had me sign for the lower priced room as they made a mistake downstairs etc etc. Anyways...the girl went above and beyond what she needed to do. Excellent!! The buffet breakfast was always pretty good in the main lobby and in the lounge, although lounge on the weekends serve till 11am which is awesome because downstairs is until 10:30 and by 10am you have almost nothing left to eat. I did not have dinner buffet there as it did not look very good and for the price, we were better suited somewhere else. Overall experience was very good and I would def go back! Location is also good, connected to a new mall which has some good Chinese restaurants and a nice new movie theater which we went to twice ;-D

Room Tip: Book a club room!