Central Hotel
US$100
US$98
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsinternal atriumroom facingan upgradewalking distancewestern stylechinese foodshopping mallbreakfast buffetsubway stationfloor
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed for three nights in April, so this review is a bit late. All in all, I was happy with the Central Hotel.

Let me get the negatives out of the way. They are all very minor. One, the hotel entrance is hard to find. You have to walk into a poorly marked alley off Zhongshan Rd., which then leads you to the hotel parking lot. I walked around the block two or three times before I found the entrance. The check-in lobby is on the 4th floor, and it took a few minutes of discussion with my Beginners Mandarin and the hotel parking attendants' Beginners English before I understood that. They didn't take my CapitalOne Visa card because it didn't have a chip, so I ended paying for my room with my bank ATM card, which did have a chip. The Wifi was also iffy. Sometimes it was very fast, other times it was almost unusable.

Other than that, everything was good. When I first walked into my room, I was disappointed because it seemed a lot smaller than I expected, but after a little exploring, I found an alcove with a big, comfortable chair and footrest, and very large closet where the iron and ironing board were stored. Elsewhere, I opened a sliding door expecting another closet, and it turned out to be a decent sized kitchenette with a full sized refrigerator.

The staff in the check in lobby spoke good English. The business center next to the check in lobby was able to get me some train tickets, and the service charge was very reasonable - maybe $3 or $4.

Across the street in the Deji Plaza there's a nice, western style grocery and lots of fast-food places in the basement. I stocked up the refrigerator with food from the grocery. There are all kinds of pizza, burger, fried chicken, and noodle restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel, too.

As for television, there were of course lots of Chinese channels. There was CNN and one or two other English channels, and a Japanese channel. It turns out that some of the Chinese channels often show English movies with Chinese subtitles.

The subway was about a five minute walk away.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The location is excellent with easy access to popular shopping district and subway stations by foot. Hotel staff are very friendly and willing to extra mile to make you satisfied. I am pleasantly surprised by the service quality as that is what usually lacks in Chinese hotels. Internet access is good and they offer late checkout service without me asking for it. Room setup is clean, modern and quiet. One shortcoming is the lack of choices for in-room dining. I will stay here again next time I am in Nanjing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank V-Y-7
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I choose this hotel again when I travel to Nanjing last weekend because last time my friend booked this hotel for me and I love their new renovated european style room very much. So I booked it again by myself this time. But when I arrived the room I booked, I was so disappoint because that room was kinda old chinese style which was totally different from the room my friend booked last time. Then I went to the front desk asked and they answered that the room my friend booked was their new renovated Excutive room (located on 9th or10th floor), while the room I booked this time was Delux room. I was very upset but nothing could change because I already prepaid by online booking. Maybe the front desk stuff realize it, he offered me a free upgrade to the Excutive room right away. Now i love this hotel even more and would recommend it to anyone going to Nanjing. P.S: the location is great and wifi is free : )

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I agree with other reviewers that the hotel doesnt quite meet 5* in western standards, but the hotel is quite good. Especially I think it is rather cheap for what it offers.
The location is also good, very central and convenient. So after all recommendable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Everything fine for us: from early check-in granting us a couple of extra hours to early check out with taxi cab reservation/wake up call and reminder etc.
Not luxury but still a fine hotel to stay in, we felt cozy and welcomed both in hotel and in the gym/pool.
Definitely would stay there again, the rate for double room (only) was circa 70€ and located in the posh spot of town, 5mins walk to subway metro.
The only negative point was the "unreachability" by mail of the hotel itself, so we had to figure out by ourselves some detail info.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family