“Great hotel. Horrible food.”

Sofitel Nanjing Zhongshan Golf Resort
Ranked #13 of 1,890 Hotels in Nanjing
Suzhou, China
“Great hotel. Horrible food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I decided to take my family for a weekend, for a break. We were looking to relax and get some good food. Only half of the expectations were met. The hotel is nice, international standards. I was upgraded to an executive room because I am a gold card member of their rewards program. The room was nice and big. I requested a non-smoking room and since I was 'upgraded' to the executive floor, they couldn't meet my request. However, the room didn't have any residual smoke odors, which I was expecting.

We decided to try the buffet for dinner. For the price paid, selection was limited, beer was not included, and presentation was very bad. What made it even worse was breakfast was in the same venue and some of the breads and cheeses that were out at dinner were the SAME that were presented for breakfast the next day. You can tell the food was old and they made no attempt to fix up the presentation to at least make it look fresh.

Overall, we still enjoyed our stay. We would go back again, play a round of golf while we are there but definitely leave the hotel to go outside for our meals.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
RDM-Grace, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Nanjing Zhongshan Golf Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Zhongshan Golf & Resort Nanjing. I am sorry that your experience about food did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, since new Executive Chef come and join Sofitel team.the quality of food and beverage have improve more. We hope that you will give us one opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

Overall I liked my stay at this hotel. The rooms were very nice and the staff was friendly although not very attentive. But I have to go on record that this hotel should not be rated 5 stars according to western standards. The western food was horrible, the Chinese food was very average. The entertainment was subpar and the hotel was in disrepair. The lobby ceiling was disgusting. I think they should lower their prices or fix up the place. They charge 5 star prices for a 3 star experience.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Yossarian1966
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Zhongshan Golf & Resort Nanjing. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Hotel has been opened for six year. the equipment and facility is old. but hotel already had action plan to improve it ,such as new Spa opene on March of this year. our new executive Chef join sofitel team ,the quality of food has improved much more.

Ha Noi, Ha Noi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I checked in this hotel on June 03 and checked out June 08 (2012). Since I have a business trip in Nanjing.
It has very spacy rooms, with good facilities. There may be some bad comments on its breakfast, but I think it was much better than some other Chinese hotels. I also enjoyed its bathroom with good shower, bathtub and shower gel, shampoo...(L'Occitane)
However, there are some bad points as well. First, it is quite separated from city center, further more, the hotel do not supply free shuttle bus to city center or airport or train station, which other hotels do (for example, their neighbour hotel, The Purple Place).
There are also some defects in my rooms (4047) like a loose lamp switch, a false wall lamp, poor quality iron and iron board...
And one weird thing for me is that, they do not have wifi in room (4047), only LAN, then only my laptop can access their high speed internet, not my phone.
It is a good hotel with affordable price, good staffs... but I will not chose it for my next stay.

Room Tip: good room should face golf course in the back
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TuanJun

Hotel has been opened for six years, some equipment and facility need to improve. hotel also have one action plan to install WIFI in the room this year.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Presumably this was supposed to be a luxury international hotel, but these days it falls a long way short of that standard.

For example, I came back to my room one day to find that there was no shower gel. I called the "service centre" but they couldn't understand my request. Eventually they sent someone to come and check, and I pointed out the problem. The lady promised to come back with the shower gel but either she forget or the hotel had run out of this precious commodity. Later I tried asking reception (where the standard of English is usually better), but they couldn't figure out what I wanted. But, hey, there was a bar of soap.

Meal service is haphazard: at breakfast they give you a basket of bread, which would be great if they delivered it when you sat down, but I gave up and got my own - and of course the basket turned up later. The dinner buffet is not great, but they don't really have enough customers, and the a la carte menu is also fairly limited.

And, as others have noted, it's all too easy to flood the bathroom using the shower, and the "rain forest" shower head drips cold water.

But the rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the prices are reasonable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

According to these weak points which you mentioned ,hotel make concern action plan to training our staff to improve our service and improve the equipment and food quality.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The hotel did live up to the luxury promise. But as with most places in China, the details are usually overlooked. The room was clean in general, we asked for a non-smoking room, and got one, and we got a nice view of the golf course which would look much prettier if there are actual grass on it. If we want to be picky, I say that the cleaning staff missed a few spots here and there, but in China's standard I'm very satisfied.

The service in the hotel's restaurant is terrible as expected but the pasta and pizza we had was surprisingly good!

If you are planning to visit the city I would NOT recommend this hotel since it's a bit inaccessible if you don't drive or if you can't get a cab. And at night, cab in Nanjing is VERY hard to come by! We waited 2-hour or so and ended up going with a random guy on the street who hustled us for a few extra RMB, made us car-pool with a few other lost soul he found on the way, and took a bit of a detour

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank John H

According to our weak point as you mentioned that we will training our staff to improve our service of food &beverage department. and as you know ,our hotel is a resort and far away from downtown but we well arrange taxi service in advance if you ordered.