“It is Lhasa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lhasa
Kyichu Hotel (Jiqu Fandian)
Ranked #8 of 341 Hotels in Lhasa
Huntington Beach, California
“It is Lhasa”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four days and three nights while acclimatizing for an opportunity to go to the Mt Everest Base Camp. Central location with easy access to the nearby square and Potella Palace. I had to change rooms within an hour of arrival as several things didn't work well. Staff was good about it but ... out of a ten week trip to Asia, this was THE hotel that really wasn't that good. Choices are limited here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank photoguy66degrees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hungarian first
City of San Marino, San Marino
Reviewed 9 August 2014

When you travel to Tibet, you are going for the cultural experience of a lifetime. I'm glad to have read another review that recommended supporting Tibetan owned hotels(there are @ 8 but this is the best) vs. the 4+ star hotels which turned out to be inconveniently located and apparently poor service. Our friend who has been to Tibet over 30+ times always stays at the Kyichu. The location is unbeatable as you can walk to Barkhor Square, local shopping, Jokhang Temple, several good restaurants all in 5-10 mins(helpful to be close when its hot). It does require overlooking minor details regarding upkeep but overall the bathrooms and bedrooms were cleaned everyday, beds comfortable, food (acceptable-good) and available all day (good yak burgers, curry and yak momas ie dumplings, Lhasa beer and ginger lemon tea) and the service was friendly and English speaking. There were pink geraniums blooming in the courtyard(where free wifi is best) and we enjoyed lunch and after tour snacks near the fountain and prayer flags. The hotel will arrange a massage from the blind school students. They are very good and you are helping them to support themselves. I would not stay anywhere else.
Restaurants: Snowland - Dunya - Water Lotus - Lhasa Kitchen
Tour Guide: www.windhorsetibet.com, Jampa/Pruchung
Barkhor Square Shops: Nirvana Tibetan Handicraft (next to Lhasa Kitchen) - Thangka Art Gallery (by students)

Room Tip: 221 is on the second floor, new wing facing a back alley. It had two double beds ( a bit small for t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SanMarinoLaureen
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I decided to stay here for 3 nights. We were first given a twin-bedded room, and then moved to a king bed one. Both rooms and bathrooms were clean and spacious but had small problems. Not all light fixtures worked, there wre exposed wiring, the spacious wardrobe did not have any rail or shelves (we had to hang jackets and trousers on the wardrobe doors and on the backs of chairs), the bathrrom door would not close, the bathtub and sink leaked, there was no bathmat or extra towels, toilet paper rail was broken and lying on the floor, the water pressure was very low in the shower etc. Overall, these did not inconvenience us much but there clearly was a kind of general apathy about repairing. The breakfast buffet was decent, but do go early. We were late on the first day and found only a few pieces of fruit, cereal crumbs, no bread and no milk, and one solitary egg, and then we wised up. But you can't beat the location. The Barkhor area is just around the corner, there is a mall and supermarket across the road, and pedicabs are available to take you around. The garden cafe is also very nice. Despite being on the main road, the rooms were very quiet. The staff are friendly and helpful but did seem to hold the opinion that it was a great privilege for guests to be able to stay there. But I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dhaka_Dweller
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was staying at the Kyichu Hotel in winter, and there aren't too many tourists in Lhasa during this season. So I was the only one who came downstairs for breakfast. I asked the cook if I could possibly have a fried tomato, and he said sure. I was expecting slices of tomato fried in oil or butter, the way I have done them at home. But they took a whole tomato and deep fried it in oil. The result was a slightly browned skin and hot, succulent tomato inside! The most delicious fried tomato I ever had. I'm not sure if this was their regular cook - he was on loan from Nepal. But he was super good.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Potala Palace and where you will get good sunlight if it is win...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank wildsparrow
Cape Town
Reviewed 19 July 2014

well situated to visit the old city. Clean well appointed rooms comfortable beds ample hot water in bathrooms. Restaurant on site with good selection of local and Chinese food. friendly and efficient staff. Lovely courtyard garden to soak up the sun.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Freeport, Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel was just like I pictured it in my mind, nothing great but homey. I felt comfortable here and wished that they would take the time to make it the place I am sure it was years ago. It needs a new paint job and some wiring updates. I loved the courtyard and the lemon/ginger tea. Breakfast was great and the manager seemed to be working really hard to make it all happen. I had to get the hairdryer at the desk, but beds were really comfy and room was large. The location made this place great to see the palace, to walk to lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. Lhasa was my favorite place of the 22 days I spent in China.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed in two different rooms in this hotel as my group checked out for one night to go touring. The facilities in each was different. The staff are pleasant and friendly and the breakfast is ok. However, don't be too precious about the rooms. Just because there may be switches for heat lamps and an extractor fan in the bathroom - don't expect them to work. If the basin water runs down the drain rather than out of the bathroom cupboard onto the floor then you are doing well. Under no circumstances look in a drawer, cupboard or under the bed. It seems that if it is not visible it will not be cleaned! A working kettle was a bonus in my second room - in the first the kettle was in two pieces and looked positively dangerous. I am not sure if the television works - it looked good in each room but I had no luck in getting any reception. For my part I didn't trust the bedding and chose to use my sleeping bag. Other than those technicalities, the hotel was great - but seem to have a high opinion of its value

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends