“Quality seemed to have deteriorated”

Shima Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #834 of 7,766 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Japanese
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Quality seemed to have deteriorated”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

When I crave for Teppanyaki, Shima Japanese Restaurant @ Aryaduta Hotel comes first at mind. I have tried many Teppanyaki places located from the fancy expensive hotels to food courts at malls, Shima has always satisfied my crave--or at least had been. After dining at Shima over the past few months (March 2014 being my last visit)--I feel the restaurant manager needs to quickly improve the quality of the chefs (I noticed many of them were new every time I went there). Don't get me wrong--the restaurant supplies fresh stuffs (good quality wagyu, fresh seafood, fresh vegetables), but the taste (and the skills of the chefs) has been deteriorating over time. I really hope for a reversing trend...

Visited March 2014
1 Thank 4ri4

• Indonesian first
Florence, Italy
“The best Teppanyaki in Jakarta”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My second time at Shima japanese restaurant inside Aryaduta Hotel in Jakarta, has been even better than the first (one year ago).

I went there with my girlfriend for a nice surpirse (she's very passionate in japanese cousine, but she never tried Teppanyaki before).

Atmosfere is wonderful: they succesfully recreated the Japanese restaurant feeling, and each hotplate can accomodate about 6-8 people.
Fortunately we were on our own and there was almoust no one in the entire restaurant, so we had quite a sort of personal treatment.

Our hotplate had his own (fantastic and astonishing) cook and almoust 3 waiters only for us.

We took a fat menù each, one with both meat and fish, and the other one with only sea food, that included a salad as appetizer, a sashimi portion each (tuna, salmon and swordfish, with some salad and dressing); fresh vegetables such as mushrooms and soya bean sprouts; tofu and rice, miso soup (extraordinary and very tasty), shrimps, lobsters, salmon fillet cooked in finger licking sauce (with honey and soya sauce), a sirlion steak and a last fisk steak (i guess it was a grouper).

Every course had its specific dish (traditional raku) and new bamboo chopsticks.

We spent about 500 thousand rupias (about 50$ or 42€) for each fat menu, and other 350 thousand rupias for beverages; 250 for two quite big portions of hot sakè and 100 thousand for hot tea that we drank during our meal, so we spent about 1.600 thousand rupias (160$ - 130€) for our meal.

Not cheap at all, but for once in your life, and for a very special person this could be the right place.

• Visited August 2012
5 Thank wtrjakarta
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“the Tepanyaki is TO DIE...”
Reviewed 24 October 2008

the Tepanyaki is TO DIE FOR!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Hmm.... This is the most...”
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Hmm.... This is the most authentic Japanese Restaurant in Jakarta, and also one of the oldest Japanese Restaurant in Jakarta. You must try the dishes!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook