“Don't be fooled by the exterior”

Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Ranked #32 of 475 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel in March 2014. It has one of the most modern facilities in the room I have ever seen although you will not know this from the exterior of the hotel. E.g. it has a TV in the bathroom facing the bathtub and automatic water closet, apart from the usual appliances.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeremynb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed 14 March 2014

It is always a challenge to find good value for money in JKT, but this time everything was right. And despite all the traffic in the city, this hotel offers a great calm oasis in the middle of the city. Moreover, the food is really good, and the rooms are great too (large tv, great bed, nice bathroom, etc). The gym is also nice although if the hotel wishes to improve anything then I would suggest to buy a few more running machines since all of them were occupied during rush hour (early mornings) this week. Regardless of that glitch, I would warmly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Backside quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PopeyeCalifornia
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Tonight I attended a wedding party of one of my relatives. It was a table dinner with a food parade and stuffs. But sadly, what I've experienced tonight is way far below my expectations of the so called 5* hotel. I didn't complaint much at that time as it was a wedding party and I's afraid I'll be ruining it with the complaint. But I believe I have to do it anyway in order to let the management knows about this and give a chance to the hotel to fix this in the future. It's just a shame.

3 out of 7 menus I had was a total dissapointment. The first menu came out, and when i was eating it, there it is, a small LIVE ROACH!! was there walking on the grated carrot and I almost ate it. I immediately throw the chewed food out and call the waiter. Immediately replaced with apologies (what if I get sick??? Apologies can't cure disease) The 4th menu is some Abalone with Brocolli and I found a small piece of styrofoam floating on the broth. Call the waiter, he said he'll ask the kitchen what it is, I wait until the party is over, he never came back. 7th and the last menu is the mango pudding with vanilla ice cream dessert and on the ice cream there was a patch of dirt, just like when you dropped your food on the floor, and when you picked it up you can see the black dirt stickin to it. In this case it's an ice cream. I don't know how it gets there, but it's there. I quickly asked for a replacement. No apologies this time.

Actually this case is not even worth my 1 star, but since the minimum score is 1. I had to. SHAME ON YOU KEMPINSKI.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jkaurranny
KempinskiHotelJKT, Manager at Hotel Indonesia Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

First and foremost we would like to extend our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during the event you visited.

We thank you for taking the time to write your feedback about it on TripAdvisor.

Without a doubt we are shocked and concerned about this unacceptable case and the way your raised concerns during the dinner were dealt with.

We do have food safety and hygiene as well as overall hotel and sanitation training and as procedures in place so it was an unfortunate and isolated occurrence. Please be assured that we had an internal investigation and have taken all necessary steps to prevent this from happening again.

Dedicated training to the staff involved has also been initiated to ensure guests' concerns are handled in the way you rightfully can expect from a hotel of our class.

Once again I would like to extend my apologies. I would be grateful if you could contact me via email to marcus.scholz@kempinski.com, as I would like to offer my personal assistance to recover your unsatisfactory experience with us.

Kind regards,
Marcus Scholz
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I love kempinski.
Spacious room with a beautiful bathroom.
From outside, it looks like an old hotel, but from the inside its beautiful & very modern.
Located in the most strategic area of jakarta, just walking distance to Grand Indonesia & Plaza Indonesia. Lots of offices near the hotel which is nice when u have to go to jakarta for business trip. just 5 minutes drive to Monas (one of the most famous attraction in jakarta).
No complain at all about the food, breakfast was great, delicious with a lot of variety of food.
The service was also excellent. I accidentally left my jewelries in my room, and didnt noticed until my check out time, the staff immediately went to my room to took it and gave it to me just in a few minute.
I love Kempinski and would love to stay there again on my next business trip to jakarta

Room Tip: If hotel food too fancy for you, there are a lot of restaurant in walking distance from the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hotel Indonesia Kempinski -- a wonderfully luxe experience that I extended my stay to enjoy the amenities and the aesthetic room. The service was excellent -- from the fulfilled request of extra fruit to the inquiry of the nearest ATM. Convenience was exceptional as the hotel is linked to the shopping mall. The complex is a city within of itself.

I will definitely stay at Kempinski during my next visit to Jakarta.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Margie C
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have to admit, the outward appearance is not as good as expected, but from the inside - it's awesome.

Staff very friendly and helpful
Location just perfect in the center of Jakarta, perfect business venue
Excellent Italian restaurant
The connection to the shopping mall is very convenient and a nice to have.

The pool and gym on the roof is excellent and perfect for relaxing after a long working day.

Greetings to the GM Mr. Marc Guenther, thank you for the outstanding hospitality of you and your staff.

I will visit you again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Despite a good room size and design, service was mediocre at best. Air Condition was not working well, with technician tried to fix it with no avail. Request for technician with no immediate response only to request again 5 hours later. Food was also mediocre and probably worst for 5 stars hotel in Jakarta.

Stayed: February 2014