“Unique experience with incredibly attentive service”
Review of Oasis Restaurant - CLOSED

Oasis Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I ate here with my wife on our honeymoon and came for the famous Rijstaffel - we were impressed by the surroundings and the whole spectacle of being served by over a dozen ladies in traditional dress! The food was delicious and a great introduction to Indonesian cuisine, and they offered extra helpings which we couldn't manage but was still appreciated. The standout feature though was the service - staff were incredibly attentive and knew our names on arrival. The online booking system was a bonus, saving expensive overseas phone calls. Overall much recommended.

1  Thank farradam

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I am sorry but this is not the real thing - yes the girls are lovely, yes the place is great, yes the food is nice (not great) but it is not the real thing. You have a bevy of lovely ladies serve a variety of food on one plate, they sing to you and leave.

I expected the single small dishes with a wide variety of food but got a stage performance.

Go there to be pampered but do not go there for the true experience - and the prices are high compared to other places.

1  Thank Mick11002
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Our business group went to the Oasis after several colleagues recommended it. The décor of the restaurant is quite unique and beautiful, and the service was fantastic. We ordered the Rijsttafel, which is a feast of many dishes brought for communal sharing by the entire table. Its quite a show when the waitstaff shows up in traditional costumes to serve the food!

They also have live music that serenades the tables. Depending on your mood, this can be either enchanting or annoying. I found it a little of both.

The food varied from REALLY good to "good enough". However the food service ceremony, the restaurant's beauty, and the very reasonable prices (for an upscale dining/dinner show) make me recommend this as a place for tourists or celebratory groups to visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

This restaurant is the first one most people recommended when my fiancée came over for a short weekend trip. The website was a little underwhelming but we decided to go for it anyway. For those visiting the website, please note that the different Rijstafel menus on the website are not all available. There is only one Rijstafel menu available each day.

Upon arriving, the restaurant exudes old world charm, being Singaporeans, we were of course underdressed in shorts and flip flops (after checking if there was a dress code) to enjoy the atmosphere.

Kudos to the staff for ignoring our fashion faux pas as the service was impeccable. If ordering the Rijastafel remember that servings are not limited and it is served with a little bit of panache as a parade of serving girls bring out the food and sing a ditty for you to enjoy your food.

The band was entertaining if slightly for the wrong reasons. We saw the singer break out into a Hokkien tune to entertain a Chinese guest who had no clue what to do when the singer tried to get him to sing along. Still - nice try.

All in all its a really nice place for a guest or a beau. Just remember to make an occasion out of it.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Was looking for something more traditional and love rijstafel, so headed to Oasis. Good food, if not quite as spicy as I would like it (should have asked them to kick it up, as this is more westerner oriented), and great service. Very friendly, accomodating and more. The atmospher is something else. A gong rings as you walk in, you wind up surrounded by a troupe of waitresses when they plate the rijstafel, and then there is live entertainment including a Batak troupe that was excellent (even if they sang multiple songs in Spanish which amused this bilingual traveler). Great picture opportunities and kudos to the lead waiter for taking my pic with the troupe and emailing it to me when my battery went low. One final amusing tale is that in the restaurant were me on my own and a group of 20 German tourists who at various points in my dining experience took more pictures than I did !!!