“Spacious room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 454 Hotels in Jakarta
malaysia
“Spacious room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed there during the lembaran. Room was spacious. Very trendy. The staff were helpful. They have a laundry room but beware of the long Q. We had to wait 2 hours for our turn.
The great thing is that they have a great restaurant downstairs Ocha Bella. A fusion of Japanese and Italian. Love love their breadsticks.

There were two cons. One is that housekeeping was a bit daunting. They just changed our bedsheets and left all cookery unwashed. The other is the clogged drains. We almost flooded the entire floor.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the car park. Not too noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sabahlass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

My wife and I stayed for a few days at Morrissey in a studio apartment.

Pluses

This residence is probably the best value for money in the Jl Wahid Hasyim area, although there are two Ibis hotels on the same street that provide good service at a low price.

There are many good restaurants in the area.

The studio rooms are reasonably large with expensive lamps and fittings.

The refrigerator is quite large for those who are staying long time. We did not try the stove.

Check in and check out are friendly and efficient

The fitness room is small, but the infinity pool on the sixth floor is quite long for those who like to swim laps, and the breeze on the sixth floor was quite strong when we were there

The complementary buffet breakfast served from 6:30 to 10 is very good with an egg station and choice of Indonesian and Western foods. I would rate their croissants A-. Juice glasses were very small. There were always enough tables available no matter what time we ate.

The plasma screen TV gets HBO, Fox Movies, and Cinemax, although the sound on HBO was uneven on most days.

There are no-smoking floors so one never need fear walking into a room that smells of smoke.

The hotel is quite large with spacious grounds and an office building in the back.

Polite and friendly staff, especially the doormen and reception.

Minuses

The space for the toilet in the bathroom may be a bit too narrow for tall people.

It is difficult to block out the sound of the 4:30 am call to morning prayers from the concentration of loudspeakered mosques in Menteng, but Morrissey probably could install double glass or shutters on the tall and narrow window in each room to cut the noise.

Taxis that drop off guests have no choice but to go through the ticketed parking lot, but they do not have to pay.

It's a family friendly place so you'll run chances of neighbor noise. Staff helpfully moved us out of a room next to a baby that was just learning it could shout.

In sum, this is a very good hotel with tastefully decorated and maintained spaces. But sometimes it is quite full, so if you consider a long term stay, do it in shorter leases so you can leave if you don't get a good room.

Room Tip: Avoid studio rooms ending in -14 because they are in front of the staff work room. The staff frequen...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Went there with a friend of mine and her little baby for a weekend getaway. Why we chose this place? Simply because from what I read they have their own kitchen. Little baby needs to have his food and milk always warm and freshly made. So Morrissey was our first choice.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was very impressed with the design of the lobby, very unique and edgy. The check-in process was fast and hassle free. I requested for the higher floor room and they gave me room at the 9th floor at the corner. Perfect.

The room itself was spacious, and little baby surely brought a LOT of equipment that required a lot of spaces. The bed was not that huge but ok for me, my friend and her baby. And they had extra pillow too!

The bathroom was a little bit too small, eventho they had curtain between the shower area and the toilet area, still some of the water splashed.

The kitchen was very "high-tech" and helped a lot with the baby's food and milk. And the fridge too! Even they don't have mini bar, we can still bring a lot of snacks and cold drinks to be put in the fridge.

What I love the most about the room is actually the alarm clock/ipod dock. Always love hotel room with ipod dock! I mean that's like the next thing that hotel room should have in the era after WiFi. Don't you think?

And I also loooove the pool area. Luckily we went to the pool area at Saturday afternoon which almost nobody there. The water was too cold, but the sun was warmth enough. I would love to spend more time at the pool area next time.

The breakfast buffet in the morning was reaaaallyy cute. But, the taste was OK. Not great. But I had worst.

The service was nice, everybody was friendly and really helpful.

One thing that I don't really like is the smell of frangipany around the lobby area. I'm not a big fan. And I wonder whyyyy there was soo many mosquitos at the lobby area?!

And there was white dust on the room floor. Didn't know what it was.

But the location was really great. Close to the center of the city, shopping malls, a lot of traditional food stall (some REALLY good ones).

Definitely a refreshingly fun hotel/serviced apartment to stay for weekend getaway. And the price is GOOD too!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Really fall in love with this Morrissey.

The concept, modern, chic and compact. Love the decoration in the lobby with the vintage typewritter, bikes etc. The check-in was smooth and the reception tried their best to accommodate my check-in despite the early arrival.

My room 805, non-smoking floor. The Executive Studio was very generous in space and loved every inch of the room. The full-fledged kitchenette really helps especially in this fasting time. (the hotel provides me with the complimentary sahur and tajil for the breaking fast).

Can't find fault with the room amenities. The tv, the window blinds, sofa, lights etc were working perfectly.

My shower pressure and temperature could be improved but that compensate with the rest.

The Resident Lounge on the 6th floor was superb and really rocks! Loved the lounge chair with the other amenities inside the air-condition room for use. The view both at day and night were fantastic (minus the honking by the various vehicle on the street).

Thamrin is always my favorite area in Jakarta to stay. Everything was within reach. With the price I paid, its worth every cent.

Oh, forget to mention the cheerful and ever smiling staff? The response from them was almost immediately.
Will definitely return to Morrissey.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Sydney AU
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed here for several nights while my partner was on a business trip in Jakarta. I enjoyed it. By no means a full service hotel, but funky and in a lively area reasonably close to the centre of town.

Small but well-designed rooms with excellent wi-fi coverage. Compact but nice rooftop pool and tiny gym. Breakfast selection not huge but fine. No room serve thru hotel but Italian restaurant with outdoor bar on site.

The price was right too. If I were going back to Jakarta and paying out of my own pocket, I think that I would stay at the Morrissey again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RJButt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed at morrisssey this weekend, and had such a pleasant time.. I wish i could live there.

Rooms are big and neat, for such an affordable price.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast spread was delightful. They have waffles eith honey, jam and chocolate syrup.

Wifi is fast, only annoying thing was you'd have to login again after every now and again.

Swimming pool is small but the cabana is very comfortable and cosy to hangout with friends.

Theres money changers, circle k, 7eleven and a few decent pubs nearby. Also quite near to grand indo mall (bluebirds will cost you less than rp10000)

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Ayeshadam
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed here for four nights in July 2012. My first impression was positive, the hotel radiates a hip and welcoming vibe. The lobby is full of carefully selected mid century furniture and knick knacks. Unfortunately the hotel suffers from a bit of a 'style over substance' problem common to many boutique establishments. The check in process was painful. One staff person was overwhelmed by the number of people waiting at the front desk. Once we were finally checked in we went to our room on the sixth floor. Unfortunately the room was filthy and stank of cigarette smoke. All of the surfaces were covered in a layer of dust and grime. The white brick wall was coated in white dusty powder that came off on our suitcases. Im at a bit of a loss to explain why this room was so gross, maybe it had been empty for awhile? I decided to run a couple of tissues over the surfaces in the room and ugh, they were black with schmutz.

I asked the front desk if the room could be cleaned when we went out for dinner. The response from the clerk was that the room would be cleaned in the morning. Alas. He didn't seem to understand what I was asking for.

The rest of our stay was alright. The electronic room keys died twice necessitating trips to the front desk. The pool area was quite nice on weekdays, but on the weekend it was overrun and looked like an Indonesian village, full of chain smoking adults and naked children running around, rendering the entire area unusable for relaxation. The traffic in the street below is amplified by the roof over the pool and, combined with the sound of the afternoon call to prayer, creates a cacophony that is enough to make your skin crawl.

The breakfast was adequate but on weekends there is not enough seating for all the guests. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and with a bit more training and support I'm sure they could be running a top notch hotel. The location was absolutely perfect for our needs and the room was comfortable aside from the initial dirtiness. Talk of the bath rooms being too small is overblown, the bath rooms are adequately sized for one or two peoples use.

I may stay here again because of the value and location, but be aware that the hotel doesn't quite live up to the hype. They need to put just a little more focus on training and customer experience. Don't shoot me but if they improved their customer experience a bit they could probably raise their prices and really become the exclusive property that they think they are.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple