All reviews ocha bella studio room mini kitchen serviced apartment rooftop pool jalan jaksa electric stove nearby mosque self service laundry central jakarta call to prayer home away from home interior design long stay breakfast spread modern hotel rooms are spacious
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Went to stay in the studio room during Eid holiday. I really like the minimalistic and urban design of the hotel and my studio room which is very unique compared to other hotels in Jakarta.

However the materials used for the building must have been of a lower grade because it has already showing signs of aging.

The tables look worn and flakey on certain spots, the wood floor looks dull and full of scratches. The walls in the hall are full of obvious patchwork with some moldy parts due to maybe leaky pipes.

Other than these aging signs, I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel. Again, love the design ! And the noise is not so bad, it is tolerable as it IS located in the center of everything Jakarta.

Date of stay: August 2013
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

This is a very nicely designed hotel. Lobby, roof pool and rooms are all really very nice. Breakfast was poor. Food selections were not cohesive, chef at egg station was always missing and food in heaters was stone cold. I was told this was because breakfast had been served at 3am for those observing Ramadan fasting. I'm ok with that but think they could have refreshed the buffet. Service is generally poor. When I arrived at CGK I had booked a transfer as my flight arrived late. Unfortunately when I arrived no driver to be found. Upon arrival at the hotel was told that it was my fault and that I should have checked with the non-existent transfer desk. Receptionist insisted that I pay for the transfer whic was not offered. I then received a phone call from reception at 1:30am to discuss the issue further. This went on for a few days until I spoke to the manager who offered to use the value of transfer for my trip back to the airport. Overall the hotel is nice but service very poor. I won't be coming back.

Date of stay: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

What shall I say, I loved it! It was exactly what I was expecting when I booked (pictures on the website are real not those pictures taken to trick you) and I was very pleased as I walked in to have booked an additional night!
I stayed there with friends this past July, we decided to visit Jakarta at the end of our trip, after Jogjakarta and Pandagaran where we had been staying in small/cheap backpackers hotel. I wanted to reward myself and picked the Morrissey (it is not that expensive though) and it was a great decision, very good value for money and would definetely stay there again if back in Jakarta.
Gorgeous lobby, which smells very nice and it is something you will appreciate after being in Jakarta's traffic basically holding your breath! The rooms are super cool, I am a fan of exposed bricks. A big plus for us was the laundry room on the 3rd floor, free of charge.
The pool area is beautiful, actually it was the pool who sold the hotel to me, stilish, lovely view and mostly empty!
The restaurant on the ground floor is also very nice, it is managed by Italians so you can be sure the Pizza is edible! What else? if anything maybe something could be done for the noise, I was on the 3rd floor and you could hear the traffic, but after a while you get used to it, plus I guess it would be impossible to get rid of that!

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Began a trip through the Asia Pacific in Jakarta. It was a busier location than we expected, abnd quite uncomfortable weather.After a small issue with our taxi and the language barrier; my friend and I made it to this hotel. Prices are quite affordable, and made up for the ok room standards. Would maybe stay again.

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2013

What will follow is A 'NEWBIE GUIDE' TO SURVIVING JAKARTA ON YOUR FIRST TRIP, which according to my experience, will necessarily involve THE MORRISSEY BOUTIQUE.

I don't know why I would even need to state this prior to this review, but I feel obliged to in response to those people who like to visit Mid-Range hotels such as the Morrissey and then compare them unfavourably to an experience they had months earlier at say a hotel like the Grand Hyatt Jakarta. It is about as ridiculous as being unhappy with a Saab 9-5 Aero at $49,565, because it doesn't corner like a Porsche 911 GT3 at $150,000+.

OK I am digressing; suffice to say when and if I get excited about the Morrissey, that doesn't mean cancel your booking at the grand Hyatt Jakarta, it just means you might want to reconsider bookings at other hotels in MORRISSEY's price range.

OK LET”S DO THIS REVIEW!!

1) CITY BACKDROP: JAKARTA. Like its fruit namesake THE BIG DURIAN, is a shock at first sight and smell: a sweltering, steaming, heaving mass of 10 million bodies packed into an urban jungle.....and that is before any interaction of sorts.

The city, its relentless traffic, relentless pollution and let's not forget relentless heat will sap the energy out of most long haul travelers within hours of arrival, so it is very important to have a plan as soon as you arrive at the airport and stick to it, no matter what other deals are being solicited.

On leaving the terminal at the airport you REALLY NEED TO MAKE YOUR WAY TO ONE of THESE TWO TAXIS OPERATORS:
BLUEBIRD (Blue) 110,000-130,000 IDR
EXPRESS (white) 90,000 -110,000 IDR
I am MORRISSEY will offer airport transfer BUT IT WILL cost 385,000 IDR

WARNING: IF YOU MESS AROUND WITH OTHER OPERATORS OR TRY TO CUT CORNERS OUTSIDE OF THE TERMINAL THE ODDS ARE AGAINST YOU.
IF YOU WANT TO BE ADVENTUROUS, WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT, YOU WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE A GOOD AND ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE THAT WAY.

Bluebird taxis usually have good AC, so if you arrive during the midday heat, there is a fairly decent chance that you will arrive at the MORRISSEY BOUTIQUE in comfort and with your clothes in tack and not soaked from perspiration.

SO REMEMBER, THE KEY IS TO SPEND AS LITTLE TIME OUTSIDE THE TERMINAL AS YOU CAN ON ARRIVAL...........Stage 1 complete:

STAGE 2: THE HOTEL
The first time I stayed here the hotel was part of the Citadines group. I have since stayed under the new management ‘ I am Morrissey’ and being a new hotel, there isn’t really much difference.

So why MORRISSEY?

1) Morrissey is a cool collection of Manhattan style serviced apartments set within and adjacent to a very chic lobby offering comfortable accommodation to relax with a coffee, read a book or sit up in the mezzanine area and use your computer. Essentially, as hard as ‘The Big Durian’outside works to remind you of where you are, Morrissey , this chic boutique works to make you forget where you are. It is ‘in’ Jakarta but not ‘of’ Jakarta. And that , if you are trying Jakarta for the first time is what will keep you sane and allow you to leave this City having had a good experience.

2) The apartments themselves are an interesting design with brick work and exposed concrete ceilings. The feeling is minimalistic, but the apartments general are well equipped.
The studios at around £54 are great value given the generous breakfast and access to other parts of the hotel this affords you.

My personal favourite are the LOFT STYLE executive apartments on two floors for roughly £110. These apartments are straight out of a Manhattan Property Catalogue and they are both fun and immensely affordable, with two bathrooms and gargantuan 20 ft double pane windows.

3) YOU STAY HERE BECAUSE OF THE CRAZY 6th floor ROOFTOP SWIMMING POOL. After a day of being bashed around by the city heat, fumes and traffic there is nothing better than to have the final say by enjoying a setting sun over the city skyline whilst dangling your feet in the rooftop pool. IT REALLY IS A COMFORTABLE SPACE AND KING’S VIEW OVER THE CITY. AND ALL FOR £54, AMASING !!!

OK now for a few CAUTION FACTS about staying at MORRISSEY.
Basically the hotel is sound, the entire desk speaks English so it is not too hard to sort out any problems if they arise. They have an in-house tech guy if your internet doesn’t work inside your apartment. Where you have to be careful:

1) Extras: Make sure you check the final bill on checkout very carefully. On my first visit, I later found that they had charged me extra for my room above the web quoted figure. I didn’t make this mistake the second time and made sure I paid my deposit with CASH so that there wasn’t any confusion over card refunds etc.

2) Serviced apartments don’t work exactly like a hotel. One night I called down for a blanket. If it was a hotel, they would probably have had this item or extra pillows and it would not have been too much to ask for. In a serviced apartment, where costs per unit are all factored in, they can’t go pandering to your ever wish and they probably don’t have the inventory to do that anyway. The apartments pretty much have everything from microwave down to iron and hairdryer, but unlike a high end hotel, house-keeping is limited to shampoo, soaps and towels.

3) Breakfast technically finishes at 10am, but if you get down there anytime after 9 am you are not going to get the best of the cooked food
4) This is a difficult one: Yes you want to stay in one of the LOFT EXECUTIVE APARTMENTS, why wouldn’t you they are super cool, but you have to take a few things into consideration with that decision:

4a.If you look at one of the professional photos of the property you will see that the hotel is made up of a front section with glass fronted apartments, a restaurant below and the swimming pool above. The tower to the rear housing most of the other studio, standard 1 bed and and 2 bed rooms. What you might also be able to see is that the loft apartments are staggered, some nearer the restaurant and some closer to the top where the pool is, look for the large windows in the picture.

4b.Here is the thing, if you stay in the apartments at the top, the proximity to the swimming pool can create on occasions (usually in the morning) smells in the upstairs bathroom. Now you might be thinking, OK no problem I’ll just take one on the stagger closer to the restaurant. Well despite the bedroom being on the second floor, I can tell you that if you try this at the weekend you better like music as the restaurant below will put it out quite willingly until ooow about 2am in the morning. My personal Solution to this is :…….

4c. FOR A MONDAY TO THURSDAY STAY. Take a loft apartment on the lower stagger, because the restaurant doesn’t play loud music during the week.

4d. FOR A WEEKEND STAY. Take an apartment on the higher stagger, to avoid the loud music. You will still feel the base a little in the sitting room, but not really much on the second floor. And as I said the smells from the pool above are only occasional annoyances and who knows may have been addressed as issues by now.

4e.To completely circumvent this problem, simply take a 1 bedroom (single floor) deluxe apartment with almost identical floor space and specifications at the rear of the hotel away from both pool and restaurant.

APART FROM THIS AND FOR SOME OF THE REASONS GIVEN ABOVE AND FOR MORE THAT YOU WILL DISCOVER FOR YOURSELF ‘I AM MORRISSEY’ IS MY No1 ‘NEWBIE STAY’ IN JAKARTA

Date of stay: November 2012