“Great BBQ in Jakarta”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Great BBQ in Jakarta”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My spouse and I were among a group from work who celebrated "Movember" at this upscale BBQ restaurant that caters to expats. But for the servers whose English was only slightly better than our Indonesian (which is to say very limited), we could easily have been in the U.S., where in fact the original Smoking Joe's is located.

Most in our party had beer, which they seemed to enjoy. My cosmo martini was good.

The bread was somewhat cold and tough and we were reluctant to try its accompanying mayonnaise-looking spread, not wanting to fall victim to some of the gastrointestinal ailments that abound in this country. But that didn't stop my spouse and me from trying the steak salad, which was tasty and, as we had hoped, safe.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the barbeque. Instead of slabs bearing some resemblance to a rib cage as we are accustomed to back home, the slabs here are served as three or four chunks consisting of two meaty ribs each. The pulled pork was tender and flavorful; the cole slaw was a bit too creamy, but it was delicious nonetheless, as were the sweet potato fries.

Already full from the meal, we resolved to return another time to tackle dessert.

• Visited November 2011

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“third times going here..”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I've tried this restaurant three times and the last time was today.. I went there with my boyfriend to have a lunch here.. at lunch time, it's just the two of us.. we came here around 12 but there's no one but us.. we've been there at lunch time also with our friends about a month ago, and it was quite empty..
this time I tried the smoking area and sat at the bar corner.. I don't smoke but there's nobody else so it's okay.. we can see view from the window next to our seats..
we ordered 1/2 chicken which came with two chosen side dishes.. today we chose potato salad and baked beans.. from our experiences before, their signature dishes (in the menu they called it " ") come in big portion.. you can share it by a friend if you don't eat so much.. I've tried their pork ribs, it's awesome! their beef is awesome too.. but today we ate the chicken.. we also ordered "mini pizza" with beef for appetizer.. the taste is so yummy.. I recommend this appetizer :)
from my previous visits, I realized some minor changes:
1. before, they always put a basket of breads and sticks (I don't know what it called actually) to be enjoyed while we're waiting for our order.. but today I saw none.. so I asked the waitress about it.. after asked, she delivered a basket of it to our table.. free of charge..
2. at my previous visits, my orders came with a slice of bread under the meat.. but today there's none so we can still see the oil drops on the plate..

but they still serve you with good food though.. anyway, you should reserve seats if you want to have dinner here at weekends..

• Visited October 2011
jakarta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“too much fat”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

It was my first time going to the RIBs joint and I was psyched to check it out. However, as soon as my order came out. It was short of my expectation. The bread sticks were not crunchy. they tasted bland and not fresh from the oven. I ordered half portion of pork ribs which was dry and oozing with oil. It was too much fat and I spent half of my time scraping off the fats from the meat which was time-consuming. The sauces weren't that tasty either. A little improvement on the sauce would have been nice to go with my ribs. But on the other side, I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere and the scenic view from where I sat. It was nice to sit on a stool and enjoy the view of Jakarta.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank sheen s
jakarta
“Amazing”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Perfect for meat lovers. The BBQ smoked pork is amazing. Love the home made BBQ sauces.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank sweetTooth21
SmokingJoesBBQ, Manager at Smoking Joe's, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Wow.. Thank-Que for the great review. We are glad that you enjoyed dining with us and we would love to have you back soon! Also try our smoked beef brisket and not to forget our homemade potato chips that will make you addicted!
London, United Kingdom
“BEST SERVICE I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN JAKARTA, sadly with average food!”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I have been to most restaurants worth going to in Jakarta and the service here is by far the best (which was surprising as its only been open for a couple of months). The food however was very average because everything seemed to taste the same as if they marinaded everything in one giant pot. I wouldn't go as far as to say its the best grill in southeast asia. The portions were generous and the cookies and ice cream dessert made up for the average tasting food. The ambience was a little stark and could do with a little brightening up. (very cool ceiling though)
It was good value for money and I would definitely be coming back with my own BBQ sauce.

• Visited August 2011
SmokingJoesBBQ, Manager at Smoking Joe's, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Thank you for your recent visit to Smoking Joe's and we are glad you are happy with our service. We would like to hear more comments from you about our food quality. We smoked our meats using jackfruit wood for 5-12 hours with our special rub from the US to make sure it is authentic. Our sauce is whiskey-infused and homemade and we have got 3 BBQ sauces: mild, sweet and tangy, and spicy. Our chef always takes comments seriously and we will try to improve on your next visit and we will try our best to make your dining an experience you cannot forget. Hope to hear from you soon!