“An Oasis in the Middle of the Madness”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocha & Bella

Ocha & Bella
Ranked #140 of 7,673 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Italian, European, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jakarta, Indonesia
“An Oasis in the Middle of the Madness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Once you've made your way through the 3-in-1 and then the traffic on Wahid Hasyim or Jaksa, you will be relieved to find a easy parking at the Morissey Serviced Apt. You'll make your way by walking through it's interesting lobby until you find yourself in warmly lit Ocha & Bella. You'll find the temptation to sit outside irresistible. Surrounded with greenery that covers the ugliness of the street, you'll be lost and mesmerized at your candle lit tables. You'll be in a good mood because the waitstaff are pleasant and attentive and you'll probably enjoy your pizza or pasta. You will leave this place with a smile and you will be refreshed to face the madness again.

• Visited June 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Why did we bother?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Online reviews and recommendations from friends led us to try this restaurant. At the end, we were left wondering why we had bothered at all.

1. Wine order. Battasiolo Chardonnay. We lived in Piemonte for five years and have particular fondness for certain wines. We also lived in Indonesia for 12 years so we recognised a wonderful opportunity to obtain a decent (note: not great) Italian wine for a reasonable price. Sadly, the Battasiolo was "habis". But so was everything else on the Chardonnay list. In fact, it came down to what was available AT ALL. Answer: not much and nothing that we would have chosen had anything else on the list been available.

2. Meal timing. We each ordered our meals and requested that these come together. Again, having lived in Italy, we understand that primi arrive before secondi. But this is Indonesia and people here expect to eat together. I received my pasta, which was indeed fresh, quite rapidly. And then the wait began for my husband's pizza.

3. The interminable wait. I am a characteristically European eater, i.e. slow. It drives my husband bonkers. Yet even as I extended my usual consumption patterns, my husband's pizza still had not arrived. In the end, he cancelled the order....several times just to make certain that staff knew he was dissatisfied. At about the same time I requested the bill, the multiply-cancelled pizza arrived. He sent it back at about the same time the bill arrived. Of course it included the pizza. I requested the charge for it to be removed, which was honoured by the staff (but not without a fair bit of faffing about and yet more time spent in consultation with a foreign chef who decided that our dissatisfaction did not warrant a table visit while his attractive female Indonesian patrons next to us did).

4. The exit. No effort by management or owners to discern what had gone wrong. The poor wait staff had to shoulder the burden of our dissatisfaction, not being empowered to do anything to remedy the situation. I feel badly for them. Management, who were quite present at the time we entered the restaurant, curiously were absent when we left.

The final analysis: We had high hopes for this restaurant. It failed at almost every stage. My recommendation is to give this place a miss and head to the warungs that line Hasyim Wahid. You'll get fresh food, good service and an authentic experience. Oh and no corkage if you bring your own wine.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Laurie P
“Thank You, Chef!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Nice Sunday Brunch, good assistance of Restaurant Manager and definitely Executive Chef. Had a good meals and good service.
Recommended. Oh, I agree with the other guest, best pizza in town as I got the recommendation from my Italian friend. Will surely come back.

• Visited February 2014
Etten-Leur, The Netherlands
“Very cozy and fine food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice vibe in this restaurant. Lots of freshly made dishes. Home made breads and pastas!
Open kitchen and wood stoked stone oven.

Cons:
There are A lot of mosquitos and some of the staff can stare a little awkward at you sometimes.

English is hard for half off the staff.

Managers behaviour can be a bit popular but we really like comming here.

“Okay Italian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

The moment you get into the restaurant, you will be mesmerized with its nice ambience and even some greetings from its Italian chef.
However, the taste was just okay, so to speak.
Unfortunately, I have tried it once and it would be my last as well..

• Visited March 2013