“Great, with further improvement”

Best Western Mangga Dua Hotel and Residence
Ranked #131 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
“Great, with further improvement”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from Oct 13th to 15th. The add on the website isn't correct so our driver had difficulty looking for it. Anyway we called the hotel and was told that it was formerly known as Hotel Dusit.

The room is comfortable but the service could be improved. On the first day, we didn't get any towels in the room and had to ask for it. On the following day, when we asked for additional bottles of mineral water, we didn't get it. Also, we were told that it's chargeable even though the hotel guide book in the room indicates that it's free.

There's 2-way shuttle service to nearby malls which operates every hour so it helps save some money getting taxi.

Breakfast was acceptable but there's a lot of mosquitoes in the restaurant. We informed the waiter but it seems that there's nothing that they can do about

Overall it was a pleasant stay and could be better if the service is improved.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was in the month of September for two nights
the hotel is old but well maintained
breakfast excellent
excellent for shopping

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Tampa Bay, FL
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

OK, let me start from positives: I had a double room on 31st floor- it was beautiful, modern with balcony overlooking Jakarta and two queen size beds and a sofa! Business oriented room with a desk, wired Internet and premium TV channels. Everyday the room was cleaned and towels changed. Yep, the hand towels had to be requested! Breakfast buffet was not the best I have seen but still way much better than any Best Western in the USA with plenty of food to choose from! Waitresses were pleasing and very nice. Lobby is that of 5-star hotel.

Things to improve: elevators! Sometimes I had to wait 10 minutes for an elevator but if you're on vacation, who cares about time?

The hotel is in rather "challenging" neighborhod, just like many other hotels in Jakarta, so talking a walk after 10pm might not be a good idea. Yet, I was impressed by the staff, their kidness and desire to go above and beyond to make you happy! If my business takes me again to Jakarta, Best Western will be the hotel I would like to stay again there!

• Stayed September 2013
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 September 2013

On the positive front first. Good value for money. Large rooms with a balcony and comfortable large beds. From 27th level, I could view the city and the area.
Fairly decent and tasty breakfast included in the room cost, which makes it worth the value we pay at this hotel which is also situated in this Mangaa Dua commercial district. Shopping malls are also in the closer vacinity though one has to walk through crowded, narrow and not so easy lanes.
The hotel guest rooms are situated on the higher floors- the lower floors are residences /apartments. The other residents in the tower also use same elevators and if someone going to 30th floor has pressed the command first then other guests at lower floors must travel upto 30th floor and then come back to their respective floors. During rush hours, it can really take long time to come down or go up. Perhaps due to this very reason, even any kind of room service works slow. I had requested for butler service and dine in room service, all was too slow. A proper training towards a change in attitude of employees should be imparted
to improve the overall standard of this property. They initially refused to accept Amex card under some lousy pretext - eventually the same machine accepted when I insisted. Since, the room was reserved by using booking.com, they refused to recognize the Best Western loyalty program. On Saturday morning, the weekend mood was clearly evident. No news paper was delivered at room on that morning, the Concierge desk was apologetic though. The crowd for breakfast on Saturday morning was much thinner when compared with the previous two days but the same, otherwise-efficient restaurant staff did not even bother to come for coffee/ tea service and had to be requested for the service. Aparantly, they had removed the room refrigerator while allocating the same room to a group on the night(s) prior to my check-in and assured to place back the same next day morning- but it never happened until my departure after 3 nights. It was not possible to adjust the room temparature- even at 26 degree celsius it was freezing cold.
I was upset while checking out, for a half minute local mobile phone call they charged 5000 Rupiah (roughly 5 Dollars)..…which was certainly not in a good taste. It was never possible to make any local phone calls directly from the room, one has to go through the operator only and all that is time consuming, complicated and expensive.

Room Tip: Do not use the hotel telephone even for making local phone calls. Keep enough time on hand to go do...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Good staff best I have had after twenty of indo older but better for price than haytt location is two minutes from location itc shopping great for bags dresses jeans computers kids clothes and more lockasari twenty thousands two bucks by taxi

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank stevekgtj
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

My stay bet. 7th June to 9th June has its own fair share of ups and downs. Firstly, I love the view from 31st flr of my hotel. Awesome I can see mangga dua n view of central Jakarta and breathe in awesome fresh air around me. I love this hotel bcos of vuew n location.

But bad thing, is service from staff is slow here. Esp when I came back tk my room and found out it is locked. After my call to the hotel staff, it took us like 30 mins plus for a svc staff to finally cme up and brg us a new room card. At least he apologised but this prob needs to be fixed. 3 other rooms blong to my tour grp had de same prob.

The room was clean but I saw a many small ants near the chiller compartment in my room. Theres not even a single drink in the chiller! Dunno where it came from.

Other than that breakfast comfy bed location view cable channels universal adaptor are all good here!

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights in a superior room. The room was good, the bed was comfortable and everything worked ok. The food at breakfast was varied and tasty and the lounge provided free wi fi. But the staff were not attentive enough and you had to go and find them when you needed something. I had to complain to the manager about one member of staff in the business centre who tried to charge me £35 for a 7 min call back to the UK! I refused to pay it as I had already checked the call rate with reception that morning. The manager agreed to refund my money and the staff member was dealt with with. Other than that I would recommend this hotel But it is difficult to find and there is lots of trash outside on the street nearby.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple